• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1st gaming laptop, ~2k usd

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hi Everyone, long lurker of the site mostly interested in articles here. Ive been a PC gamer since the early 90s (man that makes me feel like a dinosaur) and always used desktop self custom built computers.

Im wanting to be able to game from the couch and want to buy my 1st gaming laptop. The most i want to spend is around $2000 usd with taxes in mind. I may could be persuaded through a couple hundred more at it but prefer 2k or under.

My current PCs specs is an i5-6600k (not overclocked), 16gb ram, 128gb very old SSD, around 12TB of storage on 3 HDDs, and 1050ti. Display for the past 10 years or so has been a 50in 1080p TV and now a 70in 1080p TV

I would like the laptop to beat the snot out of that rig for gaming. Laptop requirements: More than 1TB of HDD storage isnt needed and 256gb or 512gb SSD should be ok. 16gb of ram should be fine. Battery life is irrelevant. Ive never played on any system ever that exceeded 1080p resolution or 60fps. Practically EVERY gaming laptop ive looked at so far offers a 1080p 144hz display some with gsync, some without gsync. A few with higher refresh rates. 1440p resolution seems extremely rare and 4k displays lack high refresh rates. There are also 15in and 17in systems to choose from.

Im not very up to date on laptop processors but i figure an 8th or 9th gen i7. I am something of an AMD ryzen fan but they appear very rare from my searches and Ive found nothing higher than i think an RX580 gpu.

I "think" id prefer a 17in model with atleast a rtx2070. I care absolutley nothing about how the laptop looks. LEDs, other lighting, chassis shape are at zero priority.

With all that in mind and my searches i think i like the HP Omen 17in. Its 17in 1080p 144hz gsync system with an i7-9750, 16gb ram, rtx2070. Link below

My searches dont show many reviews at all for it but it looks to fit my criteria and is right at $1630

Im interested in remarks on that system and if anyone has better suggestions.

If you don't mind it being a little bulky, I'd recommend this i9-9900 65w desktop CPU and RTX 2070 full version laptop 144hz 17.3" IPS --- $1500 once configured, unless you need ram/OS/storage then you will have to bring it up to your max budget of around 1900. I'd recommend not buying the ram there, and instead buy the kingston CAS 14 or 15 2666 laptop ram 2x 16gb sticks off amazon. I'd also pay the extra $25 for the thermal paste upgrade that Eluktronics offers.

System Name home-pc
Processor i7-950
Motherboard TUF-x58
Cooling nh-d14
Memory 8GB ram
Video Card(s) rx-580(4)
Storage 1tv raid, 240 mlc ssd, 1tb for data
Display(s) 32" TV 1080p
Case -
Audio Device(s) audigy 2 zs platinum
Power Supply some chinese expiriment
Software 10
buy a MacBook(maybe pro) used for power efficiency(if You you need a laptop), You can install Win on it if You really need it(using Windows will make it less power-efficient)
build a rig for Your 70 inch tv - because You've mentioned it - better to build a rig either to use ANY laptop in terms of performance/cost=)
"Any instrument is built for it's purpose

I'd also pay the extra $25 for the thermal paste upgrade that Eluktronics offers.
I'd be more patient about it - if they really could do this - I've never met nickel cooling system in laptops because either TI could burn the surface between chip and radiator(both of them) - for copper(most thermal-efficiency I've met) it will destroy it

Last edited: