• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Zen 2 Processors

shinarae

R5 3600, 2 CCX - 0 and 1, the best core unfortunately is on CCX1, I've never seen it go 4200 MHz, moreover - the fastest core on CCX0 has higher turbo frequency than the core marked as the fastest of the whole CPU.
Windows 1909, 1.0.0.3ABBA - it loads the first CCX (CCX0) cores first, only after all 3 cores (w/o SMT) are loaded - it loads the fastest CPU core which is on CCX1. And it starts using SMT only after there are more threads than there are unloaded cores left, for me it's when I run Cinebench R20 with more than 6 threads.

If using CCX1 first drops overall performance - then it makes sense to use CCX0 first. And then this custom power plan only adds a bit of frequency, the rest stays the same visually, I've not benchmarked it, only checked how it loads cores/threads in Task Manager.

I wouldn't sweat too much over whats marked as the fastest core on the CCD. I'm in the situation too where the supposedly fastest core is on CCX1. For me, both the fastest core of CCX0 and CCX1 seem to boost to 4650mhz under light loads over time according to hwinfo polling at 500hz. I'd say the chance of your fastest cores being so different that it will actually matter is slim to none.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
Memory F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
I wouldn't sweat too much over whats marked as the fastest core on the CCD. I'm in the situation too where the supposedly fastest core is on CCX1. For me, both the fastest core of CCX0 and CCX1 seem to boost to 4650mhz under light loads over time according to hwinfo polling at 500hz. I'd say the chance of your fastest cores being so different that it will actually matter is slim to none.
You know what's unfortunate? Cinebench R20 resets core affinity, I tried to link its single-core test to that best core and before it starts the test it resets the affinity... And to make Windows load that best core on CCX1 I need CCX0 to get fully loaded, so I can't check what's the highest frequency of the best core in single-core load...

shinarae

You know what's unfortunate? Cinebench R20 resets core affinity, I tried to link its single-core test to that best core and before it starts the test it resets the affinity... And to make Windows load that best core on CCX1 I need CCX0 to get fully loaded, so I can't check what's the highest frequency of the best core in single-core load...

Yea I know. And then there's a situation like mine where the first core of CCX0 is the fastest core and Windows tends to primarily use that one for background tasks so any single thread benchmarking I do will be dumped on core #2 which according to Ryzen master is the slowest core of the CCX0 even tho core #3 is supposed to be faster and is idle. And then ofc there's the good ol' "hey look core #1 is free, let's throw the process on it. YIKES. <insert any background/taskbar process/service here> is doing something, let's throw it back to core #2" yoyo behavior :) Looking at the windows logs tho, the system logs report both 1st and 2nd core of CCX0 to be equally fast and way faster than the Ryzen master gold star on CCX1. Validity of those numbers I'm not very sure of, but for sure play a big part of whats going on with assigning cores for tasks.

I can only comment the behavior on ABBA tho. Haven't bothered to update the AGESA yet since without constantly staring at the frequencies and what not, the computer is stable, feels amazing and is blisteringly fast at both work and pleasure. :love: the 3900x. Haven't had this much fun tweaking a system since Pentium 2 (legendary SL2W8) days. Infinity fabric/dram/voltage tweaking has been extremely addicting and satisfying :clap:

rckidyt

Unzip it first to a temp folder on the desktop, run the bat file as admin

On another note, Bios 2.50 is out for ASRock X570 Taichi

That did it, thanks

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
the first core of CCX0 is the fastest core and Windows tends to primarily use that one for background tasks
I have all background stuff disabled along with telemetry and sync so at least that one isn't a problem for me...

System Name Homemade :)
Processor Ryzen 3900X@4.35Ghz
Motherboard Asus X570 Prime Pro
Cooling Alphacool Eisbear 420 + 6x Silent Wings 3
Memory 2x16GB A-Data Gammix D10 3200-15-15-15-31@3733-19-18-18-38 1:1
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock GTX1080Ti +110 core +200 mem
Storage WD SN750 1TB + 3x Crucial MX200 500GB RAID0
Display(s) 4k TV + Benq XL2730Z
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) AIM 808
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Try Process Lasso and in "Options" select "Forced mode" that continuously allpies affinity to processes.
I have almost all system tasks and background apps relegated to the last CCX using CPU affinity and other cores are almost always asleep - in such a situation this power plan can show it's best ;)

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory Gskill Royal Silver 15-16-15-15 @3800
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Strix OC
Storage NVME Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Samsung Evo 860 4 TB
Display(s) LG 4K
Case Thermaltake View 71 RGB
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Mouse Steel Series Sensei 10
Keyboard Steel Series Apex 150
Software Win 10
That did it, thanks

NP glad it worked.

Yea I know. And then there's a situation like mine where the first core of CCX0 is the fastest core and Windows tends to primarily use that one for background tasks so any single thread benchmarking I do will be dumped on core #2 which according to Ryzen master is the slowest core of the CCX0 even tho core #3 is supposed to be faster and is idle. And then ofc there's the good ol' "hey look core #1 is free, let's throw the process on it. YIKES. <insert any background/taskbar process/service here> is doing something, let's throw it back to core #2" yoyo behavior :) Looking at the windows logs tho, the system logs report both 1st and 2nd core of CCX0 to be equally fast and way faster than the Ryzen master gold star on CCX1. Validity of those numbers I'm not very sure of, but for sure play a big part of whats going on with assigning cores for tasks.

I can only comment the behavior on ABBA tho. Haven't bothered to update the AGESA yet since without constantly staring at the frequencies and what not, the computer is stable, feels amazing and is blisteringly fast at both work and pleasure.:love: the 3900x. Haven't had this much fun tweaking a system since Pentium 2 (legendary SL2W8) days. Infinity fabric/dram/voltage tweaking has been extremely addicting and satisfying :clap:

IKR? I love the 3900x also, and glad i didn't wait for 3950X, seems a bit underwhelming to me.
I haven't done this much overclocking ram and benchmarking in a long time.
So much research lol

Last edited:

Gegi

Hello,

is it still recommendable to use 1usmus power plan and the bios settings even with the latest Windows 10 1909?

Thank you in advance.
Gegi

Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) AIM 808
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 LTSC
Hello,

is it still recommendable to use 1usmus power plan and the bios settings even with the latest Windows 10 1909?

Thank you in advance.
Gegi
Don't know about recommended but it still works correctly for me as to the single core boost and choosing correct highest quality core. I haven't seen any comparisons between default Windows power plan and 1usmus's one in regards to performance (on 1909) though so you have to test it yourself. It is best to do that anyway since different bios versions on different boards seem to react (guess what) differently ;)

Gegi

Don't know about recommended but it still works correctly for me as to the single core boost and choosing correct highest quality core. I haven't seen any comparisons between default Windows power plan and 1usmus's one in regards to performance (on 1909) though so you have to test it yourself. It is best to do that anyway since different bios versions on different boards seem to react (guess what) differently ;)

thanks for your reply.

I tested both power plans and no luck at all. It switches always between the first and second core, but ryzen master shows me that my fifth core is the best in my system.
In my bios there is no CPPC Prefered Cores entry. I have the latest bios on my asus x570-e

Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) AIM 808
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 LTSC
thanks for your reply.

I tested both power plans and no luck at all. It switches always between the first and second core, but ryzen master shows me that my fifth core is the best in my system.
In my bios there is no CPPC Prefered Cores entry. I have the latest bios on my asus x570-e
I don't have this option either, but it is not required for the power plan to work, CPPC with low power idle is enough. But it does not mean that the power plan will give us more frequency, only better utilization of best cores. On the other hand 1usmus mentioned that there are some problems with best cores hierarchy between CCXes on some bios versions so maybe you are one of the unlucky ones?

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
It switches always between the first and second core, but ryzen master shows me that my fifth core is the best in my system.
Windows uses CCX0 first, no matter where the fastest core is.
1-thread load - uses the fastest core on CCX0 (no SMT).
2-thread load - uses the fastest and the second fastest core on CCX0 (no SMT).
If there are more threads required - it uses the cores left on CCX0 (no SMT).
If there are more threads required than there are unloaded cores (still no SMT) left on CCX0 - it uses the fastest, then the second fastest core on CCX1 (still without SMT).
If there are more threads required than there are unloaded cores left on CPU - it uses SMT on the fastest, then on the second fastest core on CCX0. It does not use SMT on the cores on CCX0 that aren't marked at all, instead it uses SMT on the marked cores on CCX1.
You can choose the number of threads in Cinebench, open some threads load monitoring program (I used regular Task Manager) and see it yourself.

I believe that with the 1usmus power plan it loads every thread with less "leaps"/ups and downs (when the load percentage doesn't stay at 100% but drops to let's say 98% and comes back to 100% and then drops again), and this must be a good thing.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) AIM 808
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 LTSC
You are describing it as it is and not as it should be.
There are three competing mechanisms that select core to load:
- highest quality core
- threads colocation - threads from the same program should be placed on closest cores
- current core load
That is why Cinebench should not be used to test behaviour of this mechanism (threads colocation) - distinct one-thread apps should be used. Create 24 distinct apps that use 1 core load and start them one after the other. Anyway scheduler should load marked core on CCX0 then marked core on CCX1 (or in reverse if core on CCX1 is better quality), compare available max frequencies on CCD0 and CCD1 and either load best core on CCX2 or on CCX3 or it should start loading other cores on CCX0 and CCX1 - only then after all are loaded it could load cores on CCD1 according to quality rules. It is even more difficult in manual, per CCX overclock, for example I have CCX0 on 4.6Ghz, CCD1 on 4.5Ghz and CCX2-3 on 4.4Ghz and the scheduler in my case should load all cores on CCX0 before trying CCX1 and then CCX2-3 because they are of different max frequencies.

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Kraken X62
Display(s) LG 4K
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Software Win 10
So i decided to install the new ASRock Taichi X570 Beta bios 2.56.
Seems to be major solid, and also my performance went up.

Still using the 1usmus plan (universal)

I saw 4.625 on core 0 just booting up, which ive never seen, and then 2 cores at 4.6 Ghz after running Cinebench 20.

Seems there's more to this bios then just pci-e compatibility. I also noticed some changes in the actual structure of the bios layout itself.

For fun i ran the benchmarks at default bios (after resetting) and after tweaking the ram and bios settings.
Good performance increase for me on this bios.

Tweaked

@1usmus or anyone who can help me that has a x470 taichi or similar bios if it's a x570, i need to know where all the other settings are or called for the x470 taichi, so far all i could find was, global c-state enable and power supply low current. if some one could help with this info thank you in advance if ya do. i already have 3.77 bios installed for x470, so i do have 1.0.0.4b

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Kraken X62
Display(s) LG 4K
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Software Win 10
This is were its located on the x570, there is a chance they have made it invisible on the x470, they did on a few other motherboard manufacturers.

Attachments

• bios cppc.jpg
    bios cppc.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,746
Last edited:
This is were its located on the x570, there is a chance they have made it invisible on the x470, they did on a few other motherboard manufacturers.
Thank you very much, i finally found it in my bios, for my 3700x, and did your settings on it, thank you very much, this actually did allow me to see those commands. taichi is so hard to find settings compared to the standard's of asus lol. but thank you again very much!

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Kraken X62
Display(s) LG 4K
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Software Win 10
Thank you very much, i finally found it in my bios, for my 3700x, and did your settings on it, thank you very much, this actually did allow me to see those commands. taichi is so hard to find settings compared to the standard's of asus lol. but thank you again very much!

IKR, the thing about it is, there are 3 or 4 places in the bios to do the same thing. Buildzoid commented on this when he was using the x570 to overclock some ram.

IKR, the thing about it is, there are 3 or 4 places in the bios to do the same thing. Buildzoid commented on this when he was using the x570 to overclock some ram.
Is there still the other commands i'm not finding tho i could know about? maybe? thanks in advance you been very helpful.

System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Kraken X62
Display(s) LG 4K
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Software Win 10
Let me go through and get some pics of different settings that are beneficial on this board, ill add them tomorrow. Have you used the advanced settings in Ryzen Dram calculator?
I am also looking into setting up PBO manually for an overclock, saw some info from Buildzoid im going to try tomorrow, just another way of overclocking without playing around with the CPU voltages.
Im all about 24/7 overclocking, not benchmarks so much, but they are fun to play with. ;)

Last edited:
Let me go through and get some pics of different settings that are beneficial on this board, ill add them tomorrow. Have you used the advanced settings in Ryzen Dram calculator?
I am also looking into setting up PBO manually for an overclock, saw some info from Buildzoid im going to try tomorrow, just another way of overclocking without playing around with the CPU voltages.
Im all about 24/7 overclocking, not benchmarks so much, but they are fun to play with. ;)
Yeah, i ram oc'd my samsung b-die flareX ram from 3200mhz cl14 to 3600mhz cl14 timings recommend by ryzen calculator, I tried to find most the settings for ryzen dram calculator but haven't looked at the ryzen 3000 series stuff, because i just got it literally yesterday! i been running a 2600x and i'm so pleased with my 3700x i'm ocing my ram higher than i could before. and i think i'm gonna hold it at 3600mhz at cl14 it seems to be a good sweet spot i think for it. i haven't tried higher, but i also don't wanna burn out my memory controller on my cpu. I don't see the point in overclocking the cpu honestly the gains are what 4 percent boost usually on all core multi threaded things? i mean, i don't need that gaming and streaming, so i'm just trying to get the best i can for what i have honestly. hehe. just like any tinker does :)! I'm also just running a stock wraith prism cooler as well. but i don't know how far that goes in the boost hehe.

Last edited:
System Name The Purp
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooling Kraken X62
Display(s) LG 4K
Power Supply EVGA 850G+
Software Win 10
Yeah, i ram oc'd my samsung b-die flareX ram from 3200mhz cl14 to 3600mhz cl14 timings recommend by ryzen calculator, I tried to find most the settings for ryzen dram calculator but haven't looked at the ryzen 3000 series stuff, because i just got it literally yesterday! i been running a 2600x and i'm so pleased with my 3700x i'm ocing my ram higher than i could before. and i think i'm gonna hold it at 3600mhz at cl14 it seems to be a good sweet spot i think for it. i haven't tried higher, but i also don't wanna burn out my memory controller on my cpu. I don't see the point in overclocking the cpu honestly the gains are what 4 percent boost usually on all core multi threaded things? i mean, i don't need that gaming and streaming, so i'm just trying to get the best i can for what i have honestly. hehe. just like any tinker does :)! I'm also just running a stock wraith prism cooler as well. but i don't know how far that goes in the boost hehe.

Ya. its a good cooler, but you will definitely not see crazy boosts with it, its all based on the CPU temp, and how much more it can push the cpu.
I have my ram at 3733 cl 15 @1.46 V, which gives me some nice numbers in benches, and a good everyday 24/7 overclock for ram. I got lucky when i bought my AIO, a Kraken X62,
i just randomly bought based on some research i had done. Turns out its the best cooler for Ryzens, who knew? lol

This from 1usmus, an update on power plan

• Pay close attention to operating system and BIOS updates. OS and firmware vendors are as of late changing things far too often with too little documentation. Problems and solutions to serious problems will often not be mentioned in the changelogs.
  • To update your BIOS, always use BIOS flashback (when possible/available) and clear the CMOS after flashing. Otherwise, Windows might not see the changes in the ACPI tables that describe the processor's configuration.
  • Keep monitoring for Ryzen Chipset Drivers updates. It is these drivers that are the most important link between the BIOS and OS, and these also indirectly affect the OS scheduler.
  • Global C-state Control, CPPC Preferred Cores, and AMD Cool'n'Quiet should always be set to "Enabled".
  • CPU Cooling: the boost frequency of the Zen 2 processors is very dependent on temperature. AMD calculated their rated boost clocks at 50°C.

Depending on the processor, maximum boost will go down with temperature:
    - 3900/3950 - 75 MHz per 10°C
    - 3800/3700 - 50 MHz per 10°C
    - 3600/3500 - 35 MHz per 10°C

That's why some people with poor cooling may see lower frequencies. This includes case airflow and high ambient temperatures.
Some good info if you want to read it.

Ya. its a good cooler, but you will definitely not see crazy boosts with it, its all based on the CPU temp, and how much more it can push the cpu.
I have my ram at 3733 cl 15 @1.46 V, which gives me some nice numbers in benches, and a good everyday 24/7 overclock for ram. I got lucky when i bought my AIO, a Kraken X62,
i just randomly bought based on some research i had done. Turns out its the best cooler for Ryzens, who knew? lol

This from 1usmus, an update on power plan

• Pay close attention to operating system and BIOS updates. OS and firmware vendors are as of late changing things far too often with too little documentation. Problems and solutions to serious problems will often not be mentioned in the changelogs.
  • To update your BIOS, always use BIOS flashback (when possible/available) and clear the CMOS after flashing. Otherwise, Windows might not see the changes in the ACPI tables that describe the processor's configuration.
  • Keep monitoring for Ryzen Chipset Drivers updates. It is these drivers that are the most important link between the BIOS and OS, and these also indirectly affect the OS scheduler.
  • Global C-state Control, CPPC Preferred Cores, and AMD Cool'n'Quiet should always be set to "Enabled".
  • CPU Cooling: the boost frequency of the Zen 2 processors is very dependent on temperature. AMD calculated their rated boost clocks at 50°C.

Depending on the processor, maximum boost will go down with temperature:
    - 3900/3950 - 75 MHz per 10°C
    - 3800/3700 - 50 MHz per 10°C
    - 3600/3500 - 35 MHz per 10°C

That's why some people with poor cooling may see lower frequencies. This includes case airflow and high ambient temperatures.
Some good info if you want to read it.

Yeah i know about the temperature boost technology which is pretty cool, but i didn't know that in depth with it, i don't see the amd Cool'n'Quiet anymore tho, but like you showed in that bios picture i have changed cppc, and the global c-state control and lower current idle, so far, but yeah i got my bios updated, and i even check jzelectronic for bios on beta updates, but yeah i do keep my eye on things, i just wondered if there was any taichi specific things, like might be named different because in advanced settings i don't see everything from ryzen dram calculator in the taichi bios unless its names something different for that. or just not there.

Yeah i know about the temperature boost technology which is pretty cool, but i didn't know that in depth with it, i don't see the amd Cool'n'Quiet anymore tho, but like you showed in that bios picture i have changed cppc, and the global c-state control and lower current idle, so far, but yeah i got my bios updated, and i even check jzelectronic for bios on beta updates, but yeah i do keep my eye on things, i just wondered if there was any taichi specific things, like might be named different because in advanced settings i don't see everything from ryzen dram calculator in the taichi bios unless its names something different for that. or just not there.
I found the pmu training in my bios, so i did that last night, hehe taichi ya just gotta keep digging through menus hehe.