• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2-4 ghz S band on wireless possible?

John Phoenix

The S band which I understand is a Ham/Shortwave band is also on the 2-4 GHZ range just like all of out wireless adapters... so.. can they pick up these radio signals? It would seem to me it's at least possible.

Perhaps with some modding or the right software to interpret the signal? An if in this same band, could that help account for interference?

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
Just checked a band plan and there's 2.3-2.45 and 3.4-3.475GHz, amateur transcievers can be modified to operate on any band you want (provided you have the know how) however the legality is somewhat questionable, the possibility of someone recieving what your wireless is transmitting is present, however due to the encryption in it the receiver will just pick it up as noise.
With regards interference amateurs shouldn't cause any, if you're having an issue with a local one possibly ask them to stop transmitting and then check if you're still having interference issues, if you are they should work with you to fix the issue.

John Phoenix

I am not having interference issues, just thought i'd ask about that possibility.

My gist was rather can my wireless receive these signals and turn them into something useful, ( that I could see on my PC screen or hear over audio) rather than can these hams detect my wireless signal.

Edit: In other words can I turn my PC into a scanner using my wireless adapter?

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
You'd have to alter the wireless adapter to operate on whichever band you wanted to, please unless you've had specific training DO NOT do so as there's plenty of noise on the bands already and I have a feeling the FCC/ Ofcom would like to have a word with you (or whoever is meant to control the spectrum in your country).
The Hams would be able to pick up the signal but all they'll hear is a load of white noise, it's theoretically possible but they'd have to have your wireless key and it would be stupidly complicated. (Basically, don't worry, no-one has the time to do it by these means).