• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 motherboards dead

LiQuiDiCe 9

Processor 3200+ atholon 64
Motherboard epox NF4 9npa3 ultra
Cooling air freezer pro64
Memory 512 geil pc3200 an older single channel 64bit stick
Video Card(s) sapphire x850xt wiht zaleman vf700cu led
Storage 2seagate sata 80GB for striped set
Case premod being remoded blacklite and blue sleeved+blue fans
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 500w antec axt12v v2.0
Software xp pro
specs: -new- antec 500w smart power2.0 -new- sapphire x850tx -new-amd 64 3200+ -old-case -new- sunbeam fan controler memory card reader -old- single channel 64bit ram pc3200 geil -old- western digital 120gb HD (died day before the dfi) -old- 2 SATA segate 80gb disks.

tried a dfi ultra infinity it was unstable most of the time. i think some of it may have been the firewall though. after about 5days of headaches from this thing my WD hard disk died after instaling a second OS on the raid set. it spins up and makes strange soft clicking sounds and won't do anything else -i know it was prone to failure so i though nothing of it. the next day booted the computer and my SATA disks were not being reconized. i unpluged everthing came back 10 min later and turned it all back on just as i was touching my power button i was shocked (electrically) through it and of course no post dead board. RMAed

next i tried an epox 9npa3 setup great, no trouble ran rock solid for 5 days or so. i shut it down last night everything was normal. i started it this morning and it was dead no post or beep just fans, its being returned now.

i think my case is to blame i have a removeable tray and when i take it out it is bent or tweaked but when you put it back in it is forced straiter. it seems strait in the case, i mounted the boards while the tray was in the case. but i suppose it could be imperfect enough to arch. but i didn't get zapped when the epox died. and nothing is touching the boards except the posts.

my psu looks good when i've monitored it infact it has almost no movement no matter what i'm doing. but when i plug the plug in the back it makes a slight crackle sound.:confused:

it could also be my cpu or so i've heard. i tried overclocking with the dfi the HT bus was able to clock to 2500 or 2700 (i think i don't recall exactly) the cpu speed was about 2100 (like i said old ram). i didn't over clock the epox. i was more curious about the ram's clock when it goes back to a socket A. my cpu temp has never broke 41C even under full load. even when my case temp was 101F. my case is a generic mod thing. but my temps stay down to 90 or less and that is taken from the top of my hard disk.

i did overclock the video card with the trix tool it crashed both systems. everthing was normal after reboot. it was 2-3 days after OCing that the boards died. at the time of death nothing was OCed. everthing was stable for the epox the night before i even authored a wedding dvd and other rendering.(hardcore encoding)

i'm sorry about all the info but this is driving me crazy better to much detail than not enough, I have the feeling if i put another board in it'll die too:nutkick: . i think my boards are not grounding properly but all the contacts (at the little screw posts) look good. somthing is killing my boards maybe i should RMA the psu, cpu, and video card too (have to remove the zantac cooler though). i'd hate to have to wait for exchanges on those too.
advice, thoughts, smart remarks, all welcome. i prefer advice though:)
thanks

one other thing about the case. i had an abit nf7s in it and the fsb wouldn't change or save in the bois only the fsb wouldn't change. i had to clock it 18*100 (200ddr). it ran that way for 3 years. stable.

LiQuiDiCe 9

Audio Device(s) onboard
Software xp pro
what this boils down to is has anyone heard of a video card or cpu killing a motherboard?

i think i'll give everything one last shot and just get a new case for my replacement board.
this was supposed to be an upgrade not a new pc.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
get a new case dude it sounds like a part of the board is way to close to something and has alot of power running through it so it arks but it may also be the psu id try a new case and a diff psu if u have one i dont think its the cpu or grfx card.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
you did put in those little screws that separate the backplate from the motherboard ?

check you psu aswell,

LiQuiDiCe 9

Audio Device(s) onboard
Software xp pro
you put in those little screws that separate the backplate from the motherboard ? if i didn't i think the problem would be more like my house burned down. :)

yeah everything is in place i ran a strait edge along the backplate and i could see gaps between the plate and edge it is a little wavy. some spots looked to be about 1-2mm closer to the board i suppose that could be enough. near where the battery+bios chip and gfx card would be.

i dug up a HP amd k6 233mhz thats right k6 not k6-2. i stuck it in the case with different 350watt psu but i don't think it'll die from arch though, not that much power is going through it.
compaired to a 939pin with pcie. i thought it was worth a try.

i have a cool master case picked. the entire front is a screen guy at the store said it is quiet (i hope) with quiet fans.

my psu ran th 12v at 12.33v-12.35v it really didn't move much even with the trix test running that graphic pushes gfx card and cpu 100%.
the 12v1 is rated at 17A the 12v2 is at 19a. which is over 2 times my old 500w psu 12v @ 16A maybe thats why these boards die and the other one just wouldn't clock right?

LiQuiDiCe 9

Audio Device(s) onboard
Software xp pro
i dusted off the volt meter and powered up the psu on the old no ancient amd k6 233mhz and ran a linux boot cd while testing. this is what i came up with.
12v= 12.6 peak (only saw it once for split sec. may have moved meter pin) averaged 12.50v low 12.35 same off the cpu as the 4pin molex (both rails)
5v = 5.03 peak 4.96 average 4.94low
3v = 3.33 peak 3.32 low

must be the case :)
thanks for your time. i've never heard of a pc with an arch problem before. only on a high volt battery. i was really starting to doubt myself over this. i've instaled so many boards i thought i over looked somthing simple or common.

did you know b17 is sometimes used to treat cancer in countrys outside the US? http://www.worldwithoutcancer.org.uk/