1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 separate questions on Mini Display Ports & HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Black Panther, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1) Any advantages in using a mini display port over a dual-link DVI cable? Or over regular DVI for that matter (I use dual-link because of the resolution of my monitor) In my setup I just connected the VGA to monitor using dual-link DVI supplied with monitor because that's what I was familiar with.

2) About HDMI audio, is it better than having a separate dedicated sound card?
    I've had my X-Fi Xtreme Music since 2007 I guess and kept on using it. The 5970 is my first ATI card ever, and not long ago I read about it being capable of used as a sound card too? (I don't remember Nvidia having HDMI audio?)

What would you suggest?

2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the ati cards have 7.1 sound chipset built into them, while nvidia routes the sound from the mobo. your x-fi is better though.

sauce:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...5970/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5970-overview.aspx#2

Black Panther says thanks.
  4. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    almost all commercial and even onboard sound cards are perfectly adequate for playback and provide near .5db curve response across the band.

with HDMI the audio is purely digital and the recivieing source handles the decoding and DtA conversion.

So it really doesn;t matter.

Black Panther says thanks.