• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2019 the Year of 1TB SSDs: Prices Fall by 50%

Funny, the same thing was said about MLC when MLC came out, and then about TLC when TLC came out. And now we use both without issue, and we'll be using QLC without hesitation in a year too, because the reality is it has plenty of write cycles and people way overestimate how much they actually write to their drives.
TLC was a serious downgrade from MLC, especially in smaller capacities in steady state. The thing that made TLC good is the 3D process, which greatly improved the robustness of the NAND. 3D TLC did not come out until some time after planar TLC drives were sold.

QLC is a lot worse than TLC.

Judy: "It's safest to drive with both hands on the wheel in the proper positions."
Judy: "However, it's probably okay for you to drive with two hands somewhere on the wheel."
Jack: "I know, but I can drive all day long with just one."
Judy: "Okay, but you shouldn't get reckless."
Jack: "Hey, today I'm going to drive with no hands, just my knees."
Judy: "Not a great idea."
Jack: "Oh really? Tomorrow I'm going to try driving with nothing but my feet!"
Judy: "You have to be trained for that and maybe need a special car."
Jack: "Well, I plan to evolve from this to driving with just my mind."

Sometimes the slippery slope is real. There is a limit to how many voltage states NAND can effectively handle.

Anandtech just posted a review that shows the Intel 660p to be particularly terrible in multiple metrics. Latency is bad. Write performance is bad. Steady state performance looks troubling.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
TLC was a serious downgrade from MLC, especially in smaller capacities in steady state. The thing that made TLC good is the 3D process, which greatly improved the robustness of the NAND. 3D TLC did not come out until some time after planar TLC drives were sold.

Judy: "It's safest to drive with both hands on the wheel in the proper positions."
Judy: "However, it's probably okay for you to drive with two hands somewhere on the wheel."
Jack: "I know, but I can drive all day long with just one."
Judy: "Okay, but you shouldn't get reckless."
Jack: "Hey, today I'm going to drive with no hands, just my knees."
Judy: "Not a great idea."
Jack: "Oh really? Tomorrow I'm going to try driving with nothing but my feet!"
Judy: "You have to be trained for that and maybe need a special car."
Jack: "Well, I plan to evolve from this to driving with just my mind."

Sometimes the slippery slope is real. There is a limit to how many voltage states NAND can effectively handle.

Anandtech just posted a review that shows the Intel 660p to be particularly terrible in multiple metrics. Latency is bad. Write performance is bad. Steady state performance looks troubling.
Yes and no

I have both 850pro and 860evo.
In a full capacity test 850pro 512 slows down to 200-230mb/s while 860evo maintains 300mb/s.
In endurance test I saw on the internet 960 Evo took 6pb of writes before dying.

Some tlc memories are crappy same as not every mlc is good.

This. QLC is really only good for incidental storage, IE, infrequent use and very few expected PE cycles over the live of the device. Totally unacceptable for system boot drives.

Some tlc memories are crappy same as not every mlc is good.
While that's a good point, even the crappiest MLC will still be better than the best TLC, generally.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
even the crappiest MLC will still be better than the best TLC, generally.
Except for most Samsung SSDs, then again you generally pay for that kind of quality and performance. I may have to pay more for a Samsung SSD but I know it will perform well and will generally last a good long time regardless of it being MLC or TLC NAND.

Except for most Samsung SSDs, then again you generally pay for that kind of quality and performance. I may have to pay more for a Samsung SSD but I know it will perform well and will generally last a good long time regardless of it being MLC or TLC NAND.
Also a good point. However, Samsung MLC drives are the same next-level quality and thus will be that much better.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Also a good point. However, Samsung MLC drives are the same next-level quality and thus will be that much better.
Also a good point. Though I do have to say that a Samsung TLC NAND SSD will be better than anyone else's TLC NAND SSD. I really do hate to sound like a Samsung SSD fanboi but it is what it is. Their 860 EVO and 970 EVO SSDs are probably the best performing TLC NAND equipped SSDs on the market.

Oh sure, ADATA is coming damn close but they're not quite there yet. If you want performance and quality, make it a Samsung.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Also a good point. Though I do have to say that a Samsung TLC NAND SSD will be better than anyone else's TLC NAND SSD. I really do hate to sound like a Samsung SSD fanboi but it is what it is. Their 860 EVO and 970 EVO SSDs are probably the best performing TLC NAND equipped SSDs on the market.

Oh sure, ADATA is coming damn close but they're not quite there yet. If you want performance and quality, make it a Samsung.
UM the Adata SX8200 Pro has the exact same specs as the 970 EVO. it is just as fast and has the same warranty. Adata has indeed come a long way and are keeping up with Samsung in TLC for sure.

Though I do have to say that a Samsung TLC NAND SSD will be better than anyone else's TLC NAND SSD. I really do hate to sound like a Samsung SSD fanboi but it is what it is.
I would generally agree with this. The only expection is Micron's 3D-TLC. They are on-par or even a bit better in the reliability area. Performance wise they seem a bit behind, but when we're talking about 500MB per second for both lines of products the difference isn't that big.
UM the Adata SX8200 Pro has the exact same specs as the 970 EVO. it is just as fast and has the same warranty.
However, the rated durability is not as high. Still a quality drive, certainly, but not on the same level.
Adata has indeed come a long way and are keeping up with Samsung in TLC for sure.
They have come a long way. However they have a bit further to go to hit the same levels of quality and performance of Samsung and Micron.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I would generally agree with this. The only expection is Micron's 3D-TLC. They are on-par or even a bit better in the reliability area. Performance wise they seem a bit behind, but when we're talking about 500MB per second for both lines of products the difference isn't that big.

However, the rated durability is not as high. Still a quality drive, certainly, but not on the same level.

They have come a long way. However they have a bit further to go to hit the same levels of quality and performance of Samsung and Micron.
At the top level yes but the 970EVO is not Samsung's best. I agree with you on MIcron I have 2 x2 TB SSDs IN RAID 0.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
At the top level yes but the 970EVO is not Samsung's best.
Could've fooled me, I have a 970 EVO in my system and it's a solid performer. It's why I suggest buying Samsung if you want good performance. Again, I hate to sound like a Samsung fanboi but it is what it is.