• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steve Balmer blames poor Vista sales on piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
The CEO of Micrsoft, Steve Balmer, admits that predicted Vista sales were 'overly optimistic'. When faced with the current Vista sales, he blames them on a high amount of pirated copies being cracked in developing nations such as Russia and China. In response to this, Balmer promises that WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) will get much tougher to combat the recent piracy. It seems that Mr.Balmer does not think that there are possible issues with Windows Vista preventing people from buying it, let alone pirating it. A lack of driver support, a lack of advantages over Windows XP, and a hate of WGA all could be reasons people are not buying Windows Vista. An increase of WGA may very well shoot back in Microsoft's face.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Tougher? What exactly is their idea of tougher? When WGA was first released a simple line of javascript was all you needed to defeat it. Also does anyone else think M$ is starting to sound an awful lot like the MPAA and the RIAA?

EviLZeD

System Name Ez - 1st custom
Processor AMD Phenom x3 8450
Motherboard Asus m3a78-em
Cooling thermaltake mini typhoon :D aerogate fan controller
Memory 6gb corsair xms 2 800mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) xpertvision HD 4850 1GB ddr3 sonic 685/1000
Storage Corsair 128gb SSD, 2x 250GB maxtor 16mb cache raid 0, 500gb 32mb cache storage
Display(s) AMD surround view 2x e172fp 17" 1x dell e248wfp 24"
Case coolermaster elite 330
Audio Device(s) creative audigy se
Power Supply hiper type r 580watt
Software Windows 7 x64
omg its tough enough your not allowed a new motherboard unless you buy another oem copy all this window update stuff ... man windows is going to get more annoying if it gets tougher

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Why include a 30 day trail that can last 120 days?

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
Actually, I would have thought that sales were hurting because of all the bugs that need to be worked out on the new operating system. That and the fact that Vista requires a rather beefy system to run smoothly, thus many people simply can't upgrade. I am not even going to consider Vista until the first service pack is released. I prefer a stable OS over the newest offering.

HaZe303

System Name Desktop PC & HTPC
Processor Intel Core i7 920@4.0ghz & Intel Q9450@3.6ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2 & Asus P5Q-E
Cooling CPU: TRUE w/Noctua P12 Fan & TR Ultima-90I
Memory Corsair XMS 1900mhz & OCZ Reaper 8gb@900mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX460OC1GB SLIx2 @840/1680/2000mhz & ATI HD5870@1000/1300mhz + XFX 9800GT PhysX
Storage 3xSamsung TB1 F1@raid0, 2xOCZ SSD@Raid0, and several others..
Display(s) FS LSL 3260W 26" LCD@1920x1200 & LG 37" HDTV@1360x768
Case Silverstone TJ09B (WINDOW DIY) & Silverstone LC17
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD 5.1 DolbySurround & X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply ThermalTake ToughPower 1200W & Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RT7Lite x64 & x86.
An increase of WGA may very well shoot back in Microsoft's face.

This is exactly what will happen if they do this. I wont buy Vista because of all the DRM stuff, poor driver support, and WGA. I would buy a OEM version if it wasnt for the idiotic activation rules. I often re-install windows, often change parts in my pc. I wont buy new licenses just because im trying to keep my pc in some ok condition. If ms wants to boost up its salesnumbers they need to change those stupid licence agreements.

Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4,8 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Alpenfön Brocken 2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU II R290
Storage 1 TB HD + 180 GB SSD + 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Philips BDM4065 39,95" Ultra-HD
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD sound on 5.1 system
Power Supply Silverstone SST-ST85F-GS Strider Gold Series - 850 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Of course he is ignoring the fact that a lot of people are not buying Vista because it does not offer much more than XP and Windows Genuine Advantage makes their lives a misery.

And this is just b**lshit. Vista DOES offer more than XP and in fact more then a new Windows version offered since the move from 3.11 to 95. Just because clueless Microsoftbashers repeat it all the time doesn't make it true. And WGA hasn't made my live a misery. It should make your life a misery if you are a software pirate and rightfully so. And the driver situation? Best ever for any new Windows. Not every company is as stupid and incapable as Nvidia. But I know, it's tough to stay with the facts if bashing and ranting about things is so much more fun. Even though one hasn't even seen Vista.

Perhaps Steve didn't login to Vista himself yet ?
In the past there were 2 lines of Windows. 95,98,XP for the kids, primary aspect. Colorful, geeky, animated, wizzarded, less stable,..... well anything but ideal if one wants a productive clean looking windows.
And there was NT4, W2K, and finally a server-only-solution named 2K3.
Since then the ones looking for a clean follow up are left out in the rain, but Microsoft got nothing to serve them. So what does Steve tell us ? He really estimated we migrate to kids-level ?
Sorry Steve, rumours say Microsoft will have anothrer try in 2-3 years time. Till then, better rethink the strategy and concentrate on the basics.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Impact
Cooling 2x120mm fans, 1x140mm fan, 1x240mm radiator, 1x140mm radiator, XSPC Water Cooling Pump
Memory 16gb Corsair Dominator Series 2400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX R9 295x2
Storage 1x500gb Crucial SSD
Case Corsair 250D
Power Supply Seasonic 1200w Platinum
I haven't upgraded for two main reasons.
1. I havn't seen the drivers so just about everything worked out yet expecially in gaming.

2. I really dont see the cost benifit in spending 200 or so for the ultimate when my xp pro works just fine

D

Deleted member 24505

i have activated my vista oem 4 times now with no problem,and you dont need to buy a new copy with a new board.

microsoft have a right to stop people pirating it.some people on here are against pirating games,does that mean its ok to pirate an os?.......................NO

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Actually, I would have thought that sales were hurting because of all the bugs that need to be worked out on the new operating system. That and the fact that Vista requires a rather beefy system to run smoothly, thus many people simply can't upgrade. I am not even going to consider Vista until the first service pack is released. I prefer a stable OS over the newest offering.

Good points: I would also like to add the fact that folks in Mr. Ballmer's position (which he 'inherited' no less from "KING BILLY" (I respectfully call him that, no sarcasm)) who are today's "Captains of Industry", have sent SO many jobs overseas, that "disposable income" (folks' extra 'fun money') is becoming a thing of the past...

I.E.-> How on earth are people supposed to go & buy that "latest/greatest" anything, everytime it comes out, if they don't have the extra coins to do so? If you're going to create an "OS for the masses", the masses need to have decently paying & steady jobs to purchase it.

GREED people... Great rulers, like those from Great Britain's past, never starved out or too heavily taxed their serfs... why? They needed them for foodstuff production, & soldiery. It IS a symbiosis (in today's modern world, more of a producers/consumers employer-company to employee-buyer one)... & it seems our 'rulers' here have forgotten this.

That, or they are STUPID. I rarely use that term mind you.

ALSO? Quality product sells itself.

Thing is though, I hear a LOT of complaints about it (UAC being a pain, but it can be turned off) & lack of drivers (this we've seen before during the DOS/Win3.x -> 9x transition, & 9x -> NT, & NT-> 2000 mostly - we'll live! 7,000 new API calls in VISTA, that IS a lot... I truly expect lag... but then, I truly expect folks to issue product, when IT IS READY & not before: Doesn't work like that in this field @ a developer level, trust me. You're often told to issue w/ "known issues", & patch later to make deadlines to pay back venture capitalists/investors on-time!)

VISTA was NOT 'written purely from scratch', it was built off the foundations of Windows Server 2003, which in turn was grown from the code in Windows XP, which came from Windows 2000, which came from NT. Each of those improved pretty largely upon the forebear, making it GAIN ability.

This time? They've removed abilities!!!

E.G.-> I haven't tried VISTA, & from what I DO read, it is a real "mixed bag"... the "DRM" thing, that is GREED imo @ least. The cutting out of OpenGL? Another GREED thing (trying to make DirectX 'king of the gaming mountain' for a display API)...

(They took a GREAT thing, in Windows Server 2003, & made it less imo, in VISTA, because of those 2 things.)

Is "AERO GLASS" pretty? Sure... but, it doesn't make up for crippling/removing abilities in this OS, lessening it.

Is the better security (underneath the skin, like Address Space Randomization) a good thing?? It is... still doesn't make up for PULLING ABILITIES Vista's predecessor had though, imo @ least.

APK

P.S.=> Also, from their point of view? This is what you get, when you have folks creating disassembler programs (some folks in this field are actually "glorified" for their abilities using tools like SoftIce, WinDbg, & others) & then you get MANY OTHERS, learning how to use them - end result?

You get PIRACY folks... apk

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Balmer is obviously a retard. Im not aware of any pirated copies of Vista, but then again, I havent went looking for any. He just can swallow his pride and state the obvious, instability and lack of support.

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Balmer is obviously a retard. Im not aware of any pirated copies of Vista, but then again, I havent went looking for any. He just can swallow his pride and state the obvious, instability and lack of support.

Folks' @ those levels, know 1 thing though: Folks "yell & scream" only for so long, then, the issue is forgotten... or, rather, goes by the wayside due to more current issues taking precedence, etc.

I don't think Steve Balmer is retarded. Far from it. I do however think that "he is NO 'King Billy'" & not by a longshot. I would rather have seen someone like Jim Alchin take over @ MS personally. Like King Billy (almost, Bill G. is still around @ MS, & probably always will be in some capacity), he left recently.

I think what made Bill Gates great in this field, was that he was actually INTERESTED in it, being a 'nerd @ his roots' early on... Mr. Ballmer lacks this trait imo. Mr. Gates WANTED to go down in history imo buiding "that better mousetrap" & yes, to make money. Probably equal amounts of both.

Mr. Ballmer tends to gravitate imo @ least, towards making monies, ONLY. Yes, business IS in business, to make money... it's a given. BUT, how do you make money, with troubled product? Folks begin to look elsewhere is what happens... look @ the U.S. automobile trade for an example.

Competition works BOTH ways.

Plus, again, people today are hurting imo... jobs, GOOD PAYING STEADY JOBS that is, are not as prevalent in the USA @ least, like they used to be, per my statement above in my last post. They're not going to buy, because they can't like they used to.

Bring back the jobs that today's "Captains of Industry" sent overseas, you'll get more buyers again... business has 'bit the hand that feeds them' imo, in the doing of it.

APK

Last edited:
I think the main thing hurting sells is most consumers buy a PC with the OS installed and have no clue how to get updated drivers and can't really understand what the hardware requirements mean. Most people I know couldn't tell you what vid card they have or even how much ram, all they know is it's a dell and burns DVDs. Think if your grandmother but a $400 HP last year she's not going to upgrade the OS for $200.
Most of us how know a little about computers have seen the benches and heard about the bugs so are going to wait till theres a reason beyond aeroglass. The security features have already been defeated and the other features need better hardware to really be useful. It looks like another Win 2000 with a OS coming out right after it that will really last.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't see any reason to buy Vista because XP (not to mention 2k and 2k3) is still good. Also, isn't MS planning on releasing SP3 for XP in 2008?

Alec§taar

Frick & unsmart bring up another point: Market saturation.

To beat that? You've got to have an UNBELIEVABLY great new product... to make folks say:

"Hey - my Windows 2000 & XP (even Server 2003) are good stuff... but that VISTA? BLOWS THEM AWAY ON ALL LEVELS! I just GOTTA HAVE IT!"

I haven't felt like that about it, not since I heard what I did about OpenGL & DRM... bad move.

The drivers issue? Seen it before... worse really. During the DOS/Win3.x -> Windows9x transition, sometimes you couldn't get "apps for a particular purpose" even, sometimes drivers too, but not as much as later. You had to wait. During the 9x -> NT transition, you had that PLUS what we're seeing & complaining about now - lack of drivers support in hardwares.

We lived.

:)

* They've done VISTA wrong imo, on DRM & pulling OpenGL... & some of the security features have been broken too, another point these folks brought up.

APK

P.S.=> Microsoft'll "win" though, just on NEW PC purchases alone... or, will they? I think the PC market saturated itself 2002-2006 personally w/ decent enough OS & drivers hardware support, for folks to hold off... I spent a great deal in that timeframe & have a great setup that does ALL I NEED IT TO. Vista's just NOT looking good enough for me to shell out more coins is all, @ least, not @ this point in time yet... apk

Last edited:

tony929292

Processor intel q9450 at 3100 artic silver5 tt big typoon
Motherboard asus p5n32e-sli plus
Cooling 13 fans total that includes heatsink fans etc
Memory 4 gb ocz gold pc5400 oc to 775 2.1 voltage 4-4-3-4
Video Card(s) 1 bfg7800gtoc oc to 510/1800 at 1.5v valmans fatal1ty 36c idle
Storage 2 80gb wd raptors raid-0 , 1 seagate barracuda 160gb
Display(s) sony sdm-hs53 + fan controller 3.5 internal card reader and 1 internal floopy
Case Logisys Dracula Case blue
Audio Device(s) x-fi fatal1ty
Power Supply aspire 680watts sli
Software vista unltimate x86
i dont think it fair to just charge people $200-400 bucks and they dont know what there buying i dont go to the store to buy a game if i didnt download a demo first and i dont pay 150 dollars from shoes if i didnt try them on so why spend my money on windows with out tring it
(cause of there success in the past ) that why i am stole a copy and it in my opinion is its not that much better then xp besides my xp is tweaked and runnig fast and smooth. Vista gots problem, not everywere, but there r some thing i dont wont to trade off for vista just yet

but i will own a legal copy of vista in the future when a new os cums outit better to just wight for most of the population to have it so i have learened bought xp64 and there were alot of probs but it ok now

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

xp is gr8,the problem is,whwn dx10 games start coming you will NEED vista to run them.dx10 is NOT coming to xp.

tony929292

Processor intel q9450 at 3100 artic silver5 tt big typoon
Motherboard asus p5n32e-sli plus
Cooling 13 fans total that includes heatsink fans etc
Memory 4 gb ocz gold pc5400 oc to 775 2.1 voltage 4-4-3-4
Video Card(s) 1 bfg7800gtoc oc to 510/1800 at 1.5v valmans fatal1ty 36c idle
Storage 2 80gb wd raptors raid-0 , 1 seagate barracuda 160gb
Display(s) sony sdm-hs53 + fan controller 3.5 internal card reader and 1 internal floopy
Case Logisys Dracula Case blue
Audio Device(s) x-fi fatal1ty
Power Supply aspire 680watts sli
Software vista unltimate x86
yeah that why when i built this rig i thought i be fine for vista but delays of vista i strating to think this will be a paper weight lol just like my other custom bulit rig siting in the basement but hey memorys right

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz 4MB @ 4.26Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5N32E 680i SLi LGA775
Cooling Scythe Infinity 120mm @ 1,200 RPM | Arctic Cooling 3x 120mm @ 1,000 RPM
Memory Corsair Dominator 2GB CL 4-3-4-12 DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) @ DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X2800XTX @ 900/1350 w/HR-03 Plus
Storage Western Digital 150GB 16MB Raptor 10,000 RPM | Western Digital 2x 250GB (RAID0) 8MB Cavier SE
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP HD LCD Widescreen 1200p
Case Antec 900 w/modded top 200mm @ 800RPM
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Thermaltake ToughPower 750w 60A
Software Windows XP SP2 Gold Edition
Windows Vista can be downloaded RIGHT NOW for free. If Microsoft wants to retain some sales potential, they have to beef up security even more. Or maybe they will realize that they have already done all that they can and just give up on the software market.

In any case, why does Microsoft need more money, and why are they charging so much for Vista anyway? Sales are probably low because Vista is USELESS when u got XP.

Processor Haswell i7 4770
Motherboard Asus Z87-PRO
Memory 32GB DDR3-2133 10-10-10-30
Video Card(s) 2x Radeon R9 390X
Storage Samsung SSD M840 Pro 256GB, 4x320GB mechanical RAID 5
Hmmm... WGA? A new version? Well based off the rule of thumb that for every 2 months Micro$haft spends on developing their WGA system about 3 hours of cracking time is necessary for a patch - I don't see any problem with the "new" WGA :rolleyes:

In the end:
skilled programmers-->:nutkick: <--Micro$haft

Alec§taar

Hmmm... WGA? A new version? Well based off the rule of thumb that for every 2 months Micro$haft spends on developing their WGA system about 3 hours of cracking time is necessary for a patch - I don't see any problem with the "new" WGA :rolleyes:

In the end:
skilled programmers-->:nutkick: <--Micro$haft

The "infamous Death Star", pleased to FINALLY meet you by the by... read your guide, its decent. Put in some things you may wish to examine into it, but, that's up to you.

:)

STILL - In defense of Microsoft, or programmers anywhere? I have 1 thing to say:

It's EASY to destroy, but quite another, to create...

APK

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
To be honest Vista is working fine for my parents so far, and the few things I have messed around with it. I tweaked it a little, I turned off UAC.....I do similiar things like that everytime I install XP on a computer.

It does need a stronger computer to run it, and I happen to think that is a good thing. By SP1 I really think it will be worthwhile, and I don't even think SP1 will be held back too long.

MS was in much better hands when Bill Gates was running it to be honest as well. I don't think Vista went as smoothly as it would have gone had Gates been the real boss.

System Name Teh Plyply Machine
Processor FX 8150 @ 4737
Motherboard Gigabyte 970A-UD3
Cooling Antec Khuler 920
Memory 16 gigs crapp7 ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 560 V2. Fermi core
Storage Hitachi 1.5TB
Display(s) 2 Acer LCD's, 1 24", 1 19"
Case Diablotek Epic
Audio Device(s) mobo sound
Power Supply PCP&C silencer 750
Been using Vista 32bit Business edition for about 3 weeks now. I must say it is the most stable OS MS has yet released. Everything in my system worked from the go. I had to update drivers for one hardware item, that's it. It runs better than XP ever did. When xp first came out driver support was far worse than for Vista.

All this crap about Vista being a poor os is just that, crap. Yes it does do some things different, and it babysits a little too much, but this is due mainly to the average consumer being totally ignorant. Most of the babysitting crap can be turned off, frivolous services can be disabled, and Aero is actually quite nice, and uses little resources.

The media is the main reason Vista has not sold as well as it should have. All the poor press, saying, "XP does what I need, why change?, and Vista has all this crap added to it."

I call shens on the press. Vista IS a better os than XP by far. Time will bear this out...

Ply

Alec§taar

Been using Vista 32bit Business edition for about 3 weeks now. I must say it is the most stable OS MS has yet released. Everything in my system worked from the go. I had to update drivers for one hardware item, that's it.

I believe that, in your case - & really, in anybody's case w/ a machine that passes muster, on say, "WindowsVistaUpgradeAdvisor.msi" usage.

It runs better than XP ever did.

Could be, depends on what you do... that's not the case though, performance-wise, from what folks here have been seeing largely. It probably does the job, but faster? Some things yes, it wails on... I've seen that much in professional reviews on various sites, etc. that are pretty respected.

Mostly multimedia related tasks oddly enough, DRM notwithstanding.

It's not faster in OpenGL based games though - again, I am yelling about this part, because my fav. game maker uses this (IDSoftware). There was NO GOOD REASON to pull it, other than GREED (to make DirectX the kingpin of PC Gaming).

When xp first came out driver support was far worse than for Vista.

Hmmm... I used to use Windows 2000 drivers on XP, & they worked fine. The entire "Windows Driver Model" made this possible, & it works.

It was worse during the NT -> 2000 transition imo.

All this crap about Vista being a poor os is just that, crap. Yes it does do some things different, and it babysits a little too much, but this is due mainly to the average consumer being totally ignorant.

It does some things, BETTER, imo "beneath the surface"... security-wise that is, in other things, it does not.

Most of the babysitting crap can be turned off, frivolous services can be disabled, and Aero is actually quite nice, and uses little resources.

Personally, I love the appearance of AERO GLASS, & some of its special FX it can do... but, that niceness is, imo @ least, offset by the DRM & lack of native OpenGL... to each his own.

The media is the main reason Vista has not sold as well as it should have. All the poor press, saying, "XP does what I need, why change?, and Vista has all this crap added to it."

Maybe the press is trying to get Ms to be more "flexible" on certain issues, ala DRM & OpenGL games support?

I call shens on the press. Vista IS a better os than XP by far. Time will bear this out...

That's a "good cover", time will bear this out... it usually does!

However, imo, ONLY after MS gets enough negative feedback/press... & yes, lack of buyers.

(DRM & OpenGL being 2 I am holding off on VISTA for - there was NO REASON for MS to 'cripple' this otherwise superior OS vs. say, their model I use now in Windows Server 2003 in those regards, none (other than greed, imo)).

Driver support though? I agree, it will come... that's inevitable, & just 'catch up ball' for folks like NVidia, & Creative that are being 'hounded' about it.

APK

P.S.=> I do also think the PC market is saturated, & that XP/Windows Server 2003 are FINE OS period... plus, imo, the WORLD economic situation is NOT GOOD... folks don't have QUITE the 'extra cash' they used to, & to get folks to spend on "the latest/greatest" nowadays (in times like these have been & are still, witness Hershey prepping of firing 1,000's of workers a few days back)?

You had best have ONE HELL of a better OS on ALL LEVELS, vs. XP &/or Server 2003 fully patched & tuned + tweaked... & imo, they don't. OpenGL & DRM are my 2 pet peeves here & holding me back! apk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.