• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2600K vs current Intel (OC/stock)

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
You mean the exact same web site that stated there was no difference from the 8600k to 8700k that proved you wrong? Yep not a single web site agrees with you but keep digging that hole refusing to accept a single fact.
You read the wrong review, bud. Go read the 9600k review instead of the 8600k. I'll wait.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
You read the wrong review, bud. Go read the 9600k review instead of the 8600k. I'll wait.
The one that says it's overpriced, I read it. It still proves you wrong and I'm not your bud. So unless you post anything proving your sweet spot statement (to which you have constantly failed) i'm done embarrassing you...bud.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
How does it prove me wrong, exactly? When it says that rather than buying a 9600k you should buy a 8700k? Or that they can't recommend it because it tends to drop frames in CPU-heavy games?

Right now you need 8T to have a smooth experience (imo, you may not care about min frames) in some games. So that's makes it the target CPU for gaming, ergo the sweet spot. Now, if you don't agree with me, that's fine. To say you've embarrassed me because you have a different opinion, and for you i5s are the best gaming CPUs.. kinda silly.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The one that says it's overpriced, I read it. It still proves you wrong and I'm not your bud. So unless you post anything proving your sweet spot statement (to which you have constantly failed) i'm done embarrassing you...bud.

Look, you can go out looking for proof that tests the small variety of games that now run into this problem, or you can speak from experience.

Speaking from experience, I know that quad core CPUs are no longer sufficient. I also know from my experience with the 8700K with HT off that it is already running into very high loads (90%+ in a game such as Ghost Recon Wildlands) and I also know that in that game, I get not only slightly higher FPS, but also no stutter (as in - none -) with HT active versus it being off.

Reading reviews =/= first hand experience. While a review might touch on a subject in its own way, it never puts that focus on it as it should, because really, if you want quality gaming, there aren't a huge lot of CPUs capable enough these days (and its not a reviewers' job to determine a 'playable quality' beyond what the mainstream says it is - ie 30 or 60 fps), and you're looking at upper-midrange by default if you seek to eliminate stutter. And, within that upper midrange, you need to select carefully based on your FPS target as well: whether its high refresh, or high resolution, or both.

I'm not sure what you (both) are doing up here throwing Gamers Nexus back and forth and frankly I don't care what another reviewer says is important or not. I read the numbers, not the text that comes with it, and I mirror them with my own experience in gaming and wrt quality and smoothness of the experience. For one that is elitist, for another that is understandable - whatever - its just info you can or cannot do something with.

CPU performance is like RAM, VRAM and all that stuff; zero benefit from having too much, and major nuisance from having too little.

TTU

I suggest you re-read my post. And while you're at it, Vayra's post as well. TPUs review deals with average fps which is all nice and well but it doesn't show you minimum fps. Go look at reviews that do, like Gamers Nexus (spoiler alert, they don't recommend the 9600K for gaming).

Now if you don't care about stuttering and just want those high fps then by all means, the i5 is the choice for you (or if don't play open world games, since those are the ones pushing CPUs the hardest right now).

TL;DR: Some newer games need more than 6 threads to run smoothly without dropping frames. Not that hard to understand.

Not only Techpowerup uses only average fps as a metric, but they also use in-game benchmarks only, and ofc. othrewise when game doesnt have it. Thats why you see 9600K being only less than 2% slower than i9 9900K at 1080P, both paired with 1080Ti, both being at stock. Thats ridiculous.

The guys at Gamers Nexus dont measure minimum fps but 1% lows and 0.1% lows. They use OCAT and have their own tools to extract the data (for avg, 1%, and 0.1% lows). Sadly, they also use in-game bencharks, at least as far as I know. If they used gameplay (at least where needed) they would've been the best CPU review outlet out there.

As far as the Anand article - the results seems in order to me. If they also had OC results for 7700K and 9700K the difference would've been even more massive. Lets say Asrock OC Formula/Apex IX for the 7700K and Apex X/XI, EVGA Dark for 9700K. Both paired with at least 4400MHz memory.

Last edited: