• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3 & 4 Memory RAM Slot Not working

carlos_9

Hi and thank you.

I builded 1 year my own PC, Specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K ~4.0Ghz
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC MATE
WC: CORSAIR H80i

Since 6 months ago i was having a trouble: Sometimes when i was turning it on, it turned on and off repeatedly, the solution was: Remove the CMOS battery. 1 week ago a decide to clean it up, then i put everything back, and when i turned on, i got the problem, but this time removing the CMOS battery didn't work, i bought 12GB ram (1x8gb, 1x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600ghz), and helped me to understand what going on: Channel B (3 and 4 slots, counting from left to right) wasn't working right.

RAM in slot 1 only = boot
RAM in slot 2 only = boot
RAM in slot 3 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 4 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 1&2 only = boot
RAM in slot 1&3 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 1&4 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 2&3 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 2&4 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 3&4 only = turned on and off repeatedly
RAM in slot 1,2,3, and 4 = Boot (No display, keyboard and mouse were not lighting)

I tried:

Update to latest BIOS version
Clean slots with Contact cleaner (DeoxIT D5)

I don't know how to check voltage, etc.

Thank you so much

System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard Gigabyte x470 AORUS Ultra Gamin
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO
Memory 2x8GB Team T-Force Vulkan DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC
Storage Adata SX8200 256GB, Sandisk X400 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case Chieftec AL-01B-OP
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Zalman K500 modded (Gateron brown)
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Remove your CPU and check whether you have bent pins in the socket.
If socket is fine, or you've managed to straighten pins - reseat the CPU, reset BIOS(to avoid boot failure due to OC) and install your 2x4GB sticks into slots 2 and 4.
BTW your board supports dual channel only in 2-4 and 1-2-3-4 slots according to the manual.

With different sticks, like that 8GB and 4GB you've tried, dual-channel won't work.

If the above manipulations did not help, try setting the memory to DDR3-1333 or lower and set the timings and voltage according to its SPD spec. See if it starts.

With some coolers, attaching them too tightly bends the motherboard and disconnects all or some DIMM pins. Is any of 3 and 4 slot located near CPU socket? I had this problem once. In best cases, you just don't have RAM detected, in worse, the system won't even boot.

Try loosing CPU cooler a bit and observe how motherboard straightens, but keep it tight enough to have good contact. If that is the issue of course. Could be something else...

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
have you change the ram, i mean since you have 2 sticks you could try them one by one on slot 3 and 4, does it give the same result?

Processor i7 4770k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard Asrock z97 Extreme6
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB @ 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
Case Cooltek W2
With some coolers, attaching them too tightly bends the motherboard and disconnects all or some DIMM pins. Is any of 3 and 4 slot located near CPU socket? I had this problem once. In best cases, you just don't have RAM detected, in worse, the system won't even boot.

Try loosing CPU cooler a bit and observe how motherboard straightens, but keep it tight enough to have good contact. If that is the issue of course. Could be something else...
Had this issue myself on my current board and have seen it quite a few times over the last few years.

Worth a try as its quick and easy to test.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
Had this issue myself on my current board and have seen it quite a few times over the last few years.

Worth a try as its quick and easy to test.
Have have that problem also, just loosening the CPU cooler by ½ a turn, made mine work again.

carlos_9

Remove your CPU and check whether you have bent pins in the socket.
If socket is fine, or you've managed to straighten pins - reseat the CPU, reset BIOS(to avoid boot failure due to OC) and install your 2x4GB sticks into slots 2 and 4.
BTW your board supports dual channel only in 2-4 and 1-2-3-4 slots according to the manual.

With different sticks, like that 8GB and 4GB you've tried, dual-channel won't work.

If the above manipulations did not help, try setting the memory to DDR3-1333 or lower and set the timings and voltage according to its SPD spec. See if it starts.
I removed CPU, put it back, then put 2x8gb into 2 & 4 slot, that was the solution. Thank you so much :D

Attachments

Doesn't hurt t check a nice booklet that coems with a motherboard. I work with computers for over 15 years and I still regularly use it for RAM "debugging" when fiddling with RAM sticks. Especially since I use more "exotic" pieces of hardware like the X58 which was the first triple channel platform and the X99 which is the first quad channel platform. Things for these are a bit different when you're sticking RAM in it than for "casual" dual channel boards.