• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6800 GT O/C to ULTRA speeds ? ?

Sniper

:confused: Hi,has anyone done this ? I wil have the money to buy one shortly,but not sure whether it is advisable to get the ULTRA,as the GT is only 50 mhz lower,so my thinking is o/c it ! Would i be right ? All answers greatly appreciated. :cool:

pablofrogo

Almost every GT clocks to ultra speeds, you can even flash the bios to get a complete Ultra, but with only one molex connection.. Flashing also increases voltages allowing even higher clocks!

Slayerstaps

No, do not flash to ultra. For what i've seen it only results in lower overclocks. When people flashed to an ultra some got really bad problems others got not but still everyone could not oc as high anymore...
So stick with the GT bios and just oc then it's fine...
And btw not all GT's can reach ultra speeds it's still just luck but it seems the XFX 6800 GT has the best chance of hitting ultra speeds...

Sniper

:D That's what i thought.I did some checking of my own,and it does seem that the XFX cards are best,so i think i shall get a XFX 6800GT and o/c it ! :D

pablofrogo

Slayerstaps said:
No, do not flash to ultra. For what i've seen it only results in lower overclocks. When people flashed to an ultra some got really bad problems others got not but still everyone could not oc as high anymore...
Oh, well, I've only seen people who benefitted from the flash, but whatever, I wouldn't risk it.. not yet anyway ;)

Slayerstaps

Nope me neither still to much money to lose ;)

mustrum

Most GTs can do 400mhz core. Peole call it ULTRA speeds. Fact is that most 6800 ULTRAS on the market have 425 core clocks though. Most GTs wont reach that clocks. (some do)
The ULTRAS can do 450mhz and more so i think they are worth their money still.

Sniper

:D I settled for the eVGA 6800 Ultra in the end,got it for £344 ! It's stock is 400/1100,but it does 450/1200 straight out of the box ! Bargain of the year i think...... :D

Slayerstaps

nice, but i'm getting a XFX 6800GT (if i have the money)

Labbetuss

If i ever gonna buy a GeForce 6800 it would have to be ASUS GeForce 6800U, asus doesnt seem to be the card's that can be oc, but they acctually can do way high oc with water cooler :)