• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

860 evo or 970 evo Μ.2?

Hi.
I have an 850 Evo 250GB and it's time to install someone bigger in capacity. I am between the 860 Evo 1TB and the 970 Evo M.2. 1ΤΒ. The pc is i5-6600k, GTX680, Asus Z170-A, 16GB DDR4 and I use it mainly to play any MMO and RPG.
Therefore I would like to ask for two things.
1. Is it worth the higher money (~ 30 euros in my Country) than the 970 costs and if so for what use of the computer? Are the huge write and read values real or they are only valid in special cases? Will I see an improvement in gaming?
2. Can I have the already existing 850 Evo with the 860 Evo or the 970 Evo at the same time on the specific motherboard and if so will I lose something in bandwidth?
Thanks!

Processor Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard B550M Steel Legend
Cooling XPX (custom loop)
Memory 32GB 3200MHz cl16
Video Card(s) 3080 with Bykski block (custom loop)
Storage 980 Pro
Case Fractal 804
Power Supply Focus Plus Gold 750FX
Mouse G603
Keyboard G610 brown
Software yes, lots!
You can put as many SATA drives (The Samsung 850, 860 ones) in your PC as the Mainbaord allows without having any lose in bandwidth. Your Mainboard should allow at least 4 of those.

Without further adaptors, you can fit only one of the M.2 SSDs like the 970 on your mainboard.
Of course you can put 4 SATA SSDs AND one m.2 SSD in at the same time. They dont share bandwidth and all will run at their respective full speeds.

Yes the speed for m.2 SSDs are real, but for most usecases still not absolutely necessary. But the actual speed in games for example dont scale, so a game doent necessarily loads a save 5 times faste just because the m.2 ssd is 5x faster than the SATA ssd.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I personally think it is as someone who has run a single Samsung SSD, Raid 0 SSD's, and an M.2 970 SSD. It does make a difference and has been nice in games (BF V for me was a noticeable difference over the RAID 0 setup). I don't think it was night and day like going from a mechanical 7200RPM drive to an SSD was, but I do enjoy the speeds and every app loads up pretty much instantly when the computer boots.

This is just my experience and opinion.

SSD reviews don't include a lot of application benchmarks and for good reason ... they don't show any "productivity" increases. A good analogy is a commercial during the football game... there you are, sipping beers with ya friends ... and then there's a commerical ... does it matter if it's 30, 45, 60 seconds ? In either case, you ran to the head or to the kitchen to get another beer and the commercial ended before ya got back. That's pretty much the way SSDs work .....

a) When a legal secretary finished editing the contract her boss gave her, she prints a PDF or paper copy for boss to review ... then looks at the next contract she has to edit. She loads the file for the next contract, and then starts reading thru the 15 page document to see where the changes are, making sure she can read the boss's handwriting and she's still reading long after the file is loaded.

b) Same as above for the AutoCAD guy

c) Windows loading time ? ... what do you do after starting up your PC ? On ou test box I tried loading clones off the OS ..

1) Samsung Pro SSD - 15.6 secs
2) Seagate 7200 rpm SSHD - 16.5
3) Old 7200 rpm 2 TB HD - 21.6 (its used for offside backups)

At work, does the extra 0.9 seconds is improve your productivity ? In gaming, will you make it to a further way point because your game loaded faster ? Or are you like most users, when ya start ya PC, you grab a coffee, check phone messages, wipe the cookie crumbs off mpuse pad .... when starting gane, do ya stare at screen take ya headset off charging stand, load discord, load web based web sites related to game.

I am not arguing against SSDs ... we have put in ab SSD and SSHD in every build (2 of each more often as not) going back almost a decade .... but don't sweat it. We test RAID on both SSDs and SSHDs about every 3 years ... never been able to show even an inkling of an improvement, in last effort RAID 0 was teeny bit slower ... in things we actually do on the PC (don't care about benchmaks and bragging rights). But I also have access to 2 test beds (office w/ 5 employees and home with 5 PCs) ... we keep a clone of the OS on the SSDs on the SSHDs. And when I switched the boot order from SSD .... no one noticed. Now if I said "I changed something ... see if ta notice anything", Im sure that folks would discover my subterfuge .... but when unawares, when ya let folks do their daily routine, the small delays go unobserved .... things like booting, file and game loading nget lost as people are multitaskers. Put coffee in the microwave, no on stands there and looks ... they head to the bathroom or accomplish some other task because that's how we are wired.

I don't know about most people but no matter what I'm occupied with, I am going to notice whether it's night and day. But no, I don't think me or anyone else is going to notice the difference between the ....

17.6 seconds boot time of the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 18.3 seconds of the 850 Evo
4.4 seconds Photoshop Startup Time 970 Evo M.2 versus the 4.3 seconds of the 850 Evo
16.8 seconds Battlefield 1 Level Loading Time on the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 17.5 seconds of the 850 Evo
45.8 seconds Watchdogs 2 level Loading Time on the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 45.9 seconds of the 850 Evo

... that's 2 generations behind, not the one you are considering .... how are any of these differences (0.7 ... 0.1 ... 0.7 ... 0.1), "night and day" ?

Not there aren't not instances where this is significant ... as if you do video editing, animation or even photo editing on a production level charging $150/hr. But on 98% of the PCs out there ... if I was dog sitting at ya house , if I sneakily swapped ya SSDs, you would never notice.

That being said, on every PC build we do for ourselves or any of our users, we go looking for the fastest devices in every component space that we can afford. That's not about productivity or thinking we will save time ... it's because we're nerds.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
SSD reviews don't include a lot of application benchmarks and for good reason ... they don't show any "productivity" increases. A good analogy is a commercial during the football game... there you are, sipping beers with ya friends ... and then there's a commerical ... does it matter if it's 30, 45, 60 seconds ? In either case, you ran to the head or to the kitchen to get another beer and the commercial ended before ya got back. That's pretty much the way SSDs work .....

a) When a legal secretary finished editing the contract her boss gave her, she prints a PDF or paper copy for boss to review ... then looks at the next contract she has to edit. She loads the file for the next contract, and then starts reading thru the 15 page document to see where the changes are, making sure she can read the boss's handwriting and she's still reading long after the file is loaded.

b) Same as above for the AutoCAD guy

c) Windows loading time ? ... what do you do after starting up your PC ? On ou test box I tried loading clones off the OS ..

1) Samsung Pro SSD - 15.6 secs
2) Seagate 7200 rpm SSHD - 16.5
3) Old 7200 rpm 2 TB HD - 21.6 (its used for offside backups)

At work, does the extra 0.9 seconds is improve your productivity ? In gaming, will you make it to a further way point because your game loaded faster ? Or are you like most users, when ya start ya PC, you grab a coffee, check phone messages, wipe the cookie crumbs off mpuse pad .... when starting gane, do ya stare at screen take ya headset off charging stand, load discord, load web based web sites related to game.

I am not arguing against SSDs ... we have put in ab SSD and SSHD in every build (2 of each more often as not) going back almost a decade .... but don't sweat it. We test RAID on both SSDs and SSHDs about every 3 years ... never been able to show even an inkling of an improvement, in last effort RAID 0 was teeny bit slower ... in things we actually do on the PC (don't care about benchmaks and bragging rights). But I also have access to 2 test beds (office w/ 5 employees and home with 5 PCs) ... we keep a clone of the OS on the SSDs on the SSHDs. And when I switched the boot order from SSD .... no one noticed. Now if I said "I changed something ... see if ta notice anything", Im sure that folks would discover my subterfuge .... but when unawares, when ya let folks do their daily routine, the small delays go unobserved .... things like booting, file and game loading nget lost as people are multitaskers. Put coffee in the microwave, no on stands there and looks ... they head to the bathroom or accomplish some other task because that's how we are wired.

I don't know about most people but no matter what I'm occupied with, I am going to notice whether it's night and day. But no, I don't think me or anyone else is going to notice the difference between the ....

17.6 seconds boot time of the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 18.3 seconds of the 850 Evo
4.4 seconds Photoshop Startup Time 970 Evo M.2 versus the 4.3 seconds of the 850 Evo
16.8 seconds Battlefield 1 Level Loading Time on the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 17.5 seconds of the 850 Evo
45.8 seconds Watchdogs 2 level Loading Time on the 970 Evo M.2 versus the 45.9 seconds of the 850 Evo

... that's 2 generations behind, not the one you are considering .... how are any of these differences (0.7 ... 0.1 ... 0.7 ... 0.1), "night and day" ?

Not there aren't not instances where this is significant ... as if you do video editing, animation or even photo editing on a production level charging $150/hr. But on 98% of the PCs out there ... if I was dog sitting at ya house , if I sneakily swapped ya SSDs, you would never notice.

That being said, on every PC build we do for ourselves or any of our users, we go looking for the fastest devices in every component space that we can afford. That's not about productivity or thinking we will save time ... it's because we're nerds.
How did you get an HDD to load Windows in 21.6 seconds? That is faster than an SSHD.

I m close to pick 970 evo nvme m.2 but i see many complaints about high temps. Is there indeed an issue with temps and is it something i should seriously consider before buying it?
*I have a Phanteks full tower case with a 200mm fan in front and a 140mm in the back and i have no issues with high temps in general, except the GTX680 which has high temps on its own (~80 on games), whether i have a good air flow or not.
I also noticed that using the M.2 socket on my Asus Z170-A will disable the SATA Express port. Am I going to miss something important? What exactly can be used on a SATA Express port?

Last edited: