• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9700 Burn out.

corfco

Hi All,

In my constant search for a cheap way to get a decent card I have come accross an ATI 9700.

When I try to use it my machine will not even boot, fans turning etc, but no video, not even on a pci card.

It got very hot under a small metal plate which I removed to see what was underneath, and I found some 8 leg chips which appear to have seen better days.

Can anyone identify them from the photos so I can maybe replace them if cost effective.

Thanks

Chris.

Attachments

• 9700 area.JPG
    9700 area.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 9700 close.JPG
    9700 close.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 506

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
Last edited:

warluck

corfco said:
Hi All,

In my constant search for a cheap way to get a decent card I have come accross an ATI 9700.

When I try to use it my machine will not even boot, fans turning etc, but no video, not even on a pci card.

It got very hot under a small metal plate which I removed to see what was underneath, and I found some 8 leg chips which appear to have seen better days.

Can anyone identify them from the photos so I can maybe replace them if cost effective.

Thanks

Chris.

Hi, maybe someone flash the bios and miss it, try to find the good bios and flash it again before changing those small part .Take at least that chance ( if that dont work check site who sell elctronic part ),good luck. I miss my 9600XT agp (depress :eek: ) because a PSU was only 250 watts (long story) result = boot but no more video , no pci card to reflash it .What i did if that can help nothing to loose anyway ( lucky i made a backup ) first i took my old motherboard ,and a old radeon 7500 agp
install securily on the table (not in the box) old memory ,floppy ,psu a good boot disk and my flashrom + bios.file on another clean floppy disk ., 1 boot on floppy , 2 press F5 , 3 put the floppy with flashrom.exe until i see the dialog box , 3 tap the command line to force the bios , 4 before pressing enter i remove my old 7500 very carefully and straight up no swing (HOTSWAP) and put back my 9600XT straight down no swing and hit enter and wait ,me i press enter after again because did't know wath to do after (remember nothing to lose :eek: ) remove the floppy and pray waiting for reboot i was really surprise when i see the post my first word, HEIN ,ca marche (sorry speak french :D ) , Oki its long but if it work , GOOD LUCK
:)

warluck

And tell me if i t's ok ,if not i gonna check for those small chips ,Keep in touch ,.

corfco said:
Hi All,

Thanks

Chris.

Those appear to be two-phase power mosfets. Post the part numbers, I have quite a few replacement parts for very cheap or free, depending on the part. Also, first thing you should do is test the card's voltages. Test Vgpu, VDD, VDDQ, VREF to see if voltage is present. If those chips got hot while in operation, test the resistance with a multimeter, They should read very high or infinite resistance across all leads.

warluck

Hellraiser1981 said:
Those appear to be two-phase power mosfets. Post the part numbers, I have quite a few replacement parts for very cheap or free, depending on the part. Also, first thing you should do is test the card's voltages. Test Vgpu, VDD, VDDQ, VREF to see if voltage is present. If those chips got hot while in operation, test the resistance with a multimeter, They should read very high or infinite resistance across all leads.

Hi , i don,t know if he try something ,no news . I t ,s good to know .Sorry .i.m like that lolll :eek: