• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9700 pro questions

donnybrasco

i did some readings on my 9700pro to be over clocked....

im going to get this
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=5&highlight=9700+cooling
or
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=35&highlight=9700+cooling
what is the difference and i have an agp is there any difference with vga silencer?

now i read i have to get heat sinks for my memory
how would i go about doing that and what brand should i look for...

from that post i am aiming for 380/340.... if this is to high or if i could get higher plz correct me

basically i just want to OC my agp 9700 pro because i dont want to buy a new video card if you guys could direct me in the right direction for ram sinks cooling system.....expected clock times and such that would be great... i've seached around and i didnt find the answer i was looking for thnx!!!

donnybrasco

also am i going to have to change the voltage output along with other things i probably dont know about..... im pretty much new to this but im willing to learn the basics or whatever it is to the the biggest increase in performance without going watercooling.

fr33ze

first thing to do is download atitool and run that to see what sort of overclock you get. I can't say what sort of clocks you should expect because i never played around with a 9700.

once youv found a stable overclock decide weather your happy with the increase in performance or if you want more.

If you want more performance then buy either of the two coolers, they're both fairly similar in performance by all accounts and buy some artic silver 5. that will result in a healthy little increase in the core oc you will be able to achieve.

if you then still want more buy some ramsinks or make your own from an old heatsink and glue them to the memory chips on your card using artic silver epoxy (make sure you mix this 50:50 with the AS5 in order to reduce it's strength) and you will be able to overclock the mem chips even more.

if after youv done all that your still hungry for more and don't want to buy a new card then post back.

chame

I have 9500 no pro@9700, is not the same card but i think my experience could be useful :p

I recomend you to put a pentium3 cooler, is cheap and effective.
After that you could make a vmod. Whit P3 cooler and vmod i can reach 410Mhz core.

About the ram skins, i have a bad experience with them, i read that they are very important, so i put sinks over the ram chips, I used artic silver2.

before sram sinks i can go from 275 (stock 9500 no pro) to 324, after ram sinks i only can reach 290 withous artifacts :( even with vram. I dont know why, may be causee static or something...

i think the best you can do is a new cooler for the core and up the GPU voltage a bit.

donnybrasco

memory chips on your card using artic silver epoxy (make sure you mix this 50:50 with the AS5 in order to reduce it's strength) and you will be able to overclock the mem chips even more.

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/other/as2epoxy/
and
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

what is the difference between the two and couldnt i just use one?
im not sure i understand why to mix them 50:50

if i want my target around 380/340 will i haveto mess with the volt's i really dont want to mess with the volts, seems a bit complicated....

ok summery of what im going to do.... by that VGA silencer Rev 3. and im going to use the arctic silver 5 for the compound.

for the mem chips i am going to get some ram sinks and glue them on using half of each arctic silver 5 and Arctic silver 2

the memory chip is on both sides of the card.... i believe 8 sides to sink am i correct? or do i just sink the same side as the VGA will go on...

for the memory sinks im using this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-116-012&depa=1
on this i guess it comes with the compound to put the sink on already.... im sure i can use that if i am not able to use AS5 and epoxy
if you think thats good or not i would like a reply... but thats what im doing unless someone posts that i will be doing something wrong.... i will check back here regualarly to keep myself updated

i will post back here with results and what all happen when everythings complete...
again thnx for all the info guys !!
i understand i will have to cut them in order for them to find but thats not to hard i would imagine...

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
The Artic Silver adhesive kit comes with all you need, you dont need to buy arctic silver 5.

Also, make sure the ramsinks you buy are the right size for the mem chips on the card. If they are square, then they are BGA and those ramsinks on the link wont work. If they are more rectangular then they are TSOP and the sinks on that link will work.

Here are some ramsinks for BGA ram (square)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-126-051&depa=0

Though all ramsinks come with adhesive thermal tape, so you dont have to purchase the Artic Silver 2 epoxy if you dont want to. Though the adhesive kit will last longer and would have a little better heat conduction.

Here is the Artic Silver adhesive
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-005&depa=0

Last edited:

donnybrasco

i have a question on the HS i will be using.... reading that main site about the rev 3 it says on some forms there is reports of the metal shim being higher then the chipon (9700 it said) 9800 there was no problem they said... with this cause a problem?

now the zalman is desined for the 9700 with a lower chip then its shims....

thats a plus what about the area needed for ram sinks
am i going to have the same trouble putting ram sinks on with the rev 3 and zalman.. or is the zalman give more room.... looks like it in the pictures.... zalman has alot better cooling to so i might go with that

Last edited:

fr33ze

@ wazzledoozle, artic silver 2 epoxy is not all he will need, epoxying your new heatsink to the gpu is not advised. get some artic silver 5 as well and use only artic silver 5 for the gpu.

@ donnybrasco, AS2 epoxy is like glue and will stick your ramsinks to the chip nicely

AS5 is just a very good thermal compound that will not glue anything.

50:50 means mix the two together with a 50% mix of each so equal quantities, this means that if you ever want to remove the ramsinks they will come off relatively easily where as if you use 100% epoxy you can rip the memory chips off off the cards.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
fr33ze said:
@ wazzledoozle, artic silver 2 epoxy is not all he will need, epoxying your new heatsink to the gpu is not advised. get some artic silver 5 as well and use only artic silver 5 for the gpu.

@ donnybrasco, AS2 epoxy is like glue and will stick your ramsinks to the chip nicely

AS5 is just a very good thermal compound that will not glue anything.

50:50 means mix the two together with a 50% mix of each so equal quantities, this means that if you ever want to remove the ramsinks they will come off relatively easily where as if you use 100% epoxy you can rip the memory chips off off the cards.

If you were to
A) Read what i say (all of it)
B) Check the links

You would realize that i am talking about a kit that comes with the epoxy and artic silver, and that the link points to the product.

fr33ze

didn't do either of those but just did and i stand by what i said. The kit only contains thermal adhesive....GLUE...you do not want to glue the heatsink to the gpu, you do want some seperate AS5.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
You are ignorant!!!

If you read the fine print and look at the picture, the kit comes with 2 parts. One adhesive, one artic silver. It even lists the thermal conducting capacitys, therefore it is not just the "glue" according to you.

Quoting from this review on the aformentioned adhesive kit- http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/other/as2epoxy/
"Part A is the conductive material, part B is the glue"

Also here is the product again, this time read!

Last edited:

ReconCX

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
wazzledoozle said:
You are ignorant!!!

If you read the fine print and look at the picture, the kit comes with 2 parts. One adhesive, one artic silver. It even lists the thermal conducting capacitys, therefore it is not just the "glue" according to you.

Quoting from this review on the aformentioned adhesive kit- http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/other/as2epoxy/
"Part A is the conductive material, part B is the glue"

Also here is the product again, this time read!

lol, breathe wazzle, breath =)

"Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever." hmmmm....
:D

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
fr33ze said:
didn't do either of those but just did and i stand by what i said. The kit only contains thermal adhesive....GLUE...you do not want to glue the heatsink to the gpu, you do want some seperate AS5.
I am talking about for the ram, yes you dont want to use adhesive for the GPU

donnybrasco

can i just use part A of the compound instead of getting AS5?

or do i have to have AS5 for the GPU? cuz i forgot to order it online and i can't find it anywhere in the stores....

i use thinking about using liek a 20%glue/80%thermal compound mix for the GPU cuz i dont have AS5.... or could i use straight PART A?

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
donnybrasco said:
can i just use part A of the compound instead of getting AS5?

or do i have to have AS5 for the GPU? cuz i forgot to order it online and i can't find it anywhere in the stores....

i use thinking about using liek a 20%glue/80%thermal compound mix for the GPU cuz i dont have AS5.... or could i use straight PART A?
Yes you could use some of part A (thermal paste) for the GPU, but make sure you take out the same amount from the adhesive proportional to what you took from the thermal paste, so the mixture for the ram comes out correctly.

donnybrasco

ok good that saves me a few days and extra bucks....im useing epoxy for the ramsinks and just straight PART A the thermal paste for the GPU(just to conferm and make sure i understand correctly)

i dont want to kill the card or anything....

and thnx VERY MUCH for the fast reply's!!!

iit says wait a few hours to let it all set then put it in the comp and fire it up.... is that true or after an hour or so plop it in my comp and start the OC'ing :D ?

hey wizz message me on aim if you have a few minutes to talk...i hate talking back and forth sometimes on these forms...names donnybrasco2424

fr33ze

@ wazzledoozle, yeah your right i am ignorant, the review does point out that there is a tube of artic silver and one of adhesive but this was by no means clear on the newegg link. and donnybrasco could buy that one kit and be fine although he will get much better performance out of newer stuff, AS2 is getting old these days and you will see a considerable reduction in temperature by buying AS5 and the newest AS epoxy but if donnybrasco has already ordered the kit then it doesn't matter.

donnybrasco

someone sent me a set of memory timings for my 9700 pro and what i thought would happen is they wouldnt work but i didnt think that when you clicked reset on ati tool it just resets them to their preveous setting not hte factory default or STOCK timings

can anyone send me the original timeings for 9700 pro.....

Nobru_rv

What memory you have on your card? I had 3.3 and i could get 370 for gpu and 330 for ram hynix 3.3.
All i did was mod with arctic cooling vga silencer rev 3.0 and ARCTIC SILVER 5 + spire ramsinks. Big Ones. I tried with any other termal paste and only ARCTIC SILVER 5 let me up to 370 gpu. FOr ramsinks you dont need any other glue than factory tape on sinks. That stupid thermal adhesive kit just made me problems when i wanted to remove sinks from memo. A taht metal shim is not a problem( for vga silencer) but for zalman might be a little.

donnybrasco

just to give a good review... i do need the AS 5 for 370 clock cuz im only clocked at 350 right now but go with the ice berg BGA COPPER ram sinks....

they are small and work great... they are just perfect to fit with the zalman....one ram sink touches and it doesnt bend the zalman metal plate HS its just flush against it.... there is no trouble at all

... i just went with the zalman cuz of the cooler times.... the web site said its loud... but i have it on 12V and i can barely hear it only if there is no other noise.....so only if your a sound freak then i can understand but its not bad at all i still dont notice it....