• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800 BIOS Flash

HeXetic

Ok so I was clearing out some things in my dads office when I came across what looks like a Radeon 9800. I went to ATi.com and put in the 102 number and it is an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb. So I put it in but all that is showing when it's booting up is pink lines down the screen with a black background and you can't read anything. It seems to boot up but you can't seen anything except corrupt textures. I'm a bit of a graphics noob, but i'm guessing that it might be a failed bios flash? If it is then is there a way to recover the old bios? Please help.

-HeXetic

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
HeXetic said:
Ok so I was clearing out some things in my dads office when I came across what looks like a Radeon 9800. I went to ATi.com and put in the 102 number and it is an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb. So I put it in but all that is showing when it's booting up is pink lines down the screen with a black background and you can't read anything. It seems to boot up but you can't seen anything except corrupt textures. I'm a bit of a graphics noob, but i'm guessing that it might be a failed bios flash? If it is then is there a way to recover the old bios? Please help.

-HeXetic
Sounds like the card is fried. You could try flashing it with a 9800SE bios and close 4 pipes, at least you will have a (maybe) working card.

Here is a bios collection you can look through-
http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/

HeXetic

Ok I downloaded some bios's but I don't know what to do next. I can't see anything on the screen, it looks like it boots off the disc but since I can't see anything I don't know what to do next. Can someone tell me what to type in. I downloaded the CD image if that makes any difference. Also with the 9800SE bios don't you have to softmod it or something to close pipelines.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
HeXetic said:
Ok I downloaded some bios's but I don't know what to do next. I can't see anything on the screen, it looks like it boots off the disc but since I can't see anything I don't know what to do next. Can someone tell me what to type in. I downloaded the CD image if that makes any difference. Also with the 9800SE bios don't you have to softmod it or something to close pipelines.
You can flash it with a 9800SE bios to close 4 pipes and if your lucky it will clsoe to pipes that are faulty, read this- http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11

500 Posts!!!

HeXetic

Well I flashed the card with a 9800 Pro BIOS and it worked, I can actually see whats going on. Now I have another problem. I installed the drivers and when it reboots it does those tests. Well when I rebooted it did the tests but then the screen goes blank and nothing seems to be happening. So I restart and it loads up fine but when I try and run Half Life 2 I get the same thing. I sometimes also get it when I try and change refresh rate. Is it the monitor or the card. Also I ran ATITool and in the 3D view it seems to be flickering a bit, I read somehwere that means I have artifacts.

Edit: I also noticed that FastWrite is on. On my old card 9200SE that was greyed out. Do I have to enable something in the bios to use that or is it just not supported in the 9200SE.

Last edited:

HeXetic

Ok this is wierd i went to the settings in ATITool and it says it only has 4 active pipelines isn't it supposed to have 8

thehacker11

did u flash it with SE? if u did flash it wish se yah ses only have 8...but if ur are running pro..or xt then u got a problem,

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
thehacker11 said:
did u flash it with SE? if u did flash it wish se yah ses only have 8...but if ur are running pro..or xt then u got a problem,
He was having problems with 8 pipes

Also, disable fast write it should improve performance once it is turned off

The flickering in ATITool is normal, but try and download a newer version of ATITool-
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=1394&page=1&pp=10

HeXetic

Ok I have given up on the card now. I tried turning off fast write but it didn't do anything. So I flashed the Bios with 9800SE bios and it booted fine but when I try run games I get a failed to init shader error. I don't know if I was supposed to use a specific 9800SE bios but I used the Power Color one and the Sapphire one. I have samsung RAM on the card but did I have to change the clock speed to 9800 Pro or leave it as is.

PS: I saw AGP Aperature size (or something along those lines) and was wondering what it's for. It was on 64MB and I tried 128 and 256. Also on the power plug on the card it looks like one of the prongs is burned.

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro