• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Battle Royale for the Ages: Apple Announces Decision to Remove Unreal Engine from iOS and Mac Tools; Epic Games Responds With Another Lawsuit

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Who told you of EPIC taking cut from in-game purchases? You are responding to a post that stated THE OPPOSITE, neither EPIC nor Steam does that.

I am telling you if they do not take cuts from in-game purchases it means 100% profit goes to developer if it is a freemium game.
It means they'll offer their platform , their bandwidth and their advertisement for FREE .

IS THIS THE CASE ?

If yes,
1- Why not just take 0% cut from ALL GAMES and let all developer get 100% ?
2- Why not all games on their platforms became Freemium ?

There must be some restrictions in their T&C to prevent some stupid things like

"Free to download but had to do $50 in-app purchase to unlock the full game"

DO YOU GET IT ?

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
violated those terms
It's about assessment of what is going on.
It is about TOS of Apple having merit in certain cases.
Of us, as humans, finding that kind of shit (developer doesn't get 30% refunded by apple App Store, when customer ask for refund) acceptable.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, Apple can print it's TOS (making it even more outrages than it is now, why the heck not) with some golden ink on an expensive paper.
Roll it into a compact roll.
And shove it where Rockefeller was told to shove his totally legal company.

I am telling you if they do not take cuts from in-game purchases it means 100% profit goes to developer if it is a freemium game.
Having things on your platform makes it more attractive to customer.
I would find it appropriate to request LARGE installables, that might cost quite a bit to host, to fuck off or pay a bit.

That is not what Apple is about though. Apple wants a cut even from SUBSCRIPTION paid to third parties.
Spotify is supposed to be forever paying Apple, for one of his users having downloaded its app (how big it is, 30Mb?) via Apple store.

That is not even remotely fair/adequate/good for consumers.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
So now the scourge of PC Gaming forums has found it's way into US corporate court? A power play definitely but like the Borg Epic (or China) they have assimilated their business model and now are one of the most powerful and objectively rewarding platforms for Gaming. I do feel sorry for MAC users that like to PC Game on the side.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
Having things on your platform makes it more attractive to customer.
I would find it appropriate to request LARGE installables, that might cost quite a bit to host, to fuck off or pay a bit.

That is not what Apple is about though. Apple wants a cut even from SUBSCRIPTION paid to third parties.
Spotify is supposed to be forever paying Apple, for one of his users having downloaded its app (how big it is, 30Mb?) via Apple store.

That is not even remotely fair/adequate/good for consumers.

No

Apple (and Google) are private companies.
The 30% cut and all the other restrictions might not be ethical, but somebody has to pay the bills.
And sometimes it is just about the %, not the practice itself.
Nobody is gonna do it for Free.

Also,

This is about EPIC violated the terms they agreed and signed with Apple and Google.
And tried to named themselves as some kind of "Saviour" of the industry.
Then weaponized the fan base (mostly kids) to defend them.
Their move is clearly planned and staged.
And they are having what they deserved - a complete lock down.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
No

The 30% cut and all the other restrictions might not be ethical, but somebody has to pay the bills.

Also,

This is about EPIC violated the terms they agreed and signed with Apple and Google.
And tried to named themselves as some kind of "Saviour" of the industry.
Then weaponized the fan base (mostly kids) to defend them.
Their move is clearly planned and staged.
And they are having what they deserved - a complete lock down.
Which bills are you talking about? Spotify pays for its servers and has to pay the bill, why should Apple get their 30%? Spotify could distribute its app on its own if Applo allowed it. And again would you like if Microsoft was taking 30% of everything that you access through Windows like Netflix, Steam etc? If what Apple does is so costly they should allow other stores in iOS and prove it, I bet other stores won't be able to do what Apple does while taking only 12% right?

You people should stop attacking Epic any chance you get because China/Steam/exclusives etc etc
I bet that if Apple would let other stores in iOS and Steam opened one you would welcome the 30% competition, but you would hate Epic's 12% competition

Apple is planning their own gaming engine to be released in the next couple months, got to remove competitors before it would look bad.

Congratulations on applying Godwin's Law.

But yes, I am for real. This is a lawsuit - and by law Epic is the guilty party here. Epic are using Apple's property and agreed to Apple's terms. Epic violated those terms and were kicked off the platform. If they want to use the platforms that Apple or Google created, they need to abide by Apple or Google's rules. It's one of the few cases where something is actually pretty black and white, legally.

Let's say I build something unique that you want to use. I agree to let you use it if you follow my rules, but you break those rules, so I stop you from using my thing.

That is all this is; Sweeny at Epic is throwing a tantrum because he doesn't like the rules. It doesn't matter that Apple and Google are greedy and it doesn't matter if you or I like or dislike Apple or Google. Their rules are binding, legally. Unless Sweeney has found a technicality in the agreements he signed with Apple and Google that prove Apple and Google broke the terms of their contracts first, Sweeny/Epic are at legal fault here. Like I said before, black-and-white certainty that Sweeny will lose his lawsuit because he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I can only assume that Sweeny hopes the publicity of this (losing) case is enough to poke a wider anti-competitive investigation into the Google/Apple ecosystems. That, however is tentative at best, and unrelated to this particular pair of lawsuits against Apple and Google.
Godwin point was earned pretty fast indeed ^^

I must add : some companies, not to name Huawei or Xiaomi, where kicked out from using Android system, which is far worse.
How they responded ? They built their own OS (still progressing AFAIK), to avoid any kind of pressure from US companies.

Epic didn't like the way things were, mostly with Apple (rich kids have an iPhone, not a poor Android :D )
What did they do : they broke the contract they signed, willingly, and tried to make a case as a defender of all developers. The truth is that they wanted to be free from the rules, and become one them : making the rules. Ego and greed. Not fairness. Not from them, not like that.
But as said before, Google and Apple built their own stuff : hardware and software. It's their creation. You don't like it, you can build your own. Nobody will stop you.

And to complete the assessment that Epic is not taking cuts, they are even taking cuts on the store in-game when by-passing. The screen is on the other thread, first page I think (not from me).
You could either spend 10$ on in-app payment or 8$ with direct payment to Epic. That's not 30% down AFAIK !!!! they are even taking a cut of their own. What a joke !

If I was to remake that short story and act like a smart one (not like a lazy kid trying to think he can pressure a service not owned), I would do that :
-Either remove the App from the App store or changing prices, letting know what goes to Apple and what goes to them.
-Distribute an apk for Android and let people use the one from the store. It won't be long until people make the switch.
-Create a Wallet on EGS to put some in-game coins(tokens) bought on the EGS, feeding your Fornite account, and avoid the 30% (I think it's not against the rules, not sure though).

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Which bills are you talking about? Spotify pays for its servers and has to pay the bill, why should Apple get their 30%? Spotify could distribute its app on its own if Applo allowed it. And again would you like if Microsoft was taking 30% of everything that you access through Windows like Netflix, Steam etc? If what Apple does is so costly they should allow other stores in iOS and prove it, I bet other stores won't be able to do what Apple does while taking only 12% right?

You people should stop attacking Epic any chance you get because China/Steam/exclusives etc etc
I bet that if Apple would let other stores in iOS and Steam opened one you would welcome the 30% competition, but you would hate Epic's 12% competition
Steam takes a 30% Cut and so does MS and Google and etc etc.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04

I said :

You agreed to the practice, and someone just want more cut.

And

EPIC broke the T&C they agreed and signed.
So they deserved being removed.

Please stop trying to sway the focus to some "China/Steam/exclusives" things, as they are not relevant to the topic.

System Name Odyssey
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
I said :

You agreed to the practice, and someone just want more cut.

And

EPIC broke the T&C they agreed and signed.
So they deserved being removed.

Please stop trying to sway the focus to some "China/Steam/exclusives" things, as they are not relevant to the topic.
Everyone gets a cut to resell stuff, you just want Apple to take the cut they arbitrarily decided from everything sold on iOS, while I want competition, more stores, less cut for he sellers and more for the developers and eventually lower prices for us.
Epic Game Store ?
Nope, Just Nope.
You are definitely NOT biased...

Steam takes a 30% Cut and so does MS and Google and etc etc.
How does Microsoft takes a cut on you Spotify sub or Fortnite skins (like Apple does) when you listen/play on Windows? And Steam might be getting a cut but it's your conscious decision to buy from them, you can easily buy from the publisher, buy a physical copy or from another store with less cut (even most people prefer the bigger cut this days)

And to complete the assessment that Epic is not taking cuts, they are even taking cuts on the store in-game when by-passing. The screen is on the other thread, first page I think (not from me).
You could either spend 10$ on in-app payment or 8$ with direct payment to Epic. That's not 30% down AFAIK !!!! they are even taking a cut of their own. What a joke.
noone says that Epic doesn't take a cut, they are however taking a cut below market price and you are free to go elsewhere if you don't like their cut or prices,you can't do that on iOS.
Is baffling that someone prefers to pay 10$ for something instead of 8$

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
Everyone gets a cut to resell stuff, you just want Apple to take the cut they arbitrarily decided from everything sold on iOS, while I want competition, more stores, less cut for he sellers and more for the developers and eventually lower prices for us.

The fact is

EPIC agreed and signed the contact to use all services Apple Store (and Google store) provided.
In that contract the cuts and restrictions are clearly stated.
They violated the contract T&C, in order to get more cut for them.
Launched a planned commercial targeting one of the platform provider.
And deliberately trying to package themselves as some kind of Saviour of the game industry.

It is not about how many % Apple (and Google) gets in every transaction.
It is not about if the T&C were ethical or abusive.
It is not even about competition, since the 30% cut applies to every App developer on the platform.

It is just about EPIC breaking the contracts they signed.
And how EPIC is trying to weaponize its fan base (mostly kids) to defend its illegal actions.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
So was The Standard Oil.

Nobody is asking to do "it" for free, what a dumb strawman.

terms they agreed
1) Stop repeating dead argument, nobody has ever challenged that something violates rules that Apple made up
2) Google is not even remotely as filthy, they don't get 30% cut when customer refunds, they don't ask for eternal subscription cut either, stop mentioning them both in one sentence.

It is not about if the T&C were ethical or abusive.
That is exactly what it is about.
Laws are written based on higher level principles of fairness and customer interests, it's not a gospel that somehow appeared in this world out of blue.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It's about assessment of what is going on.
It is about TOS of Apple having merit in certain cases.
Of us, as humans, finding that kind of shit (developer doesn't get 30% refunded by apple App Store, when customer ask for refund) acceptable.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, Apple can print it's TOS (making it even more outrages than it is now, why the heck not) with some golden ink on an expensive paper.
Roll it into a compact roll.
And shove it where Rockefeller was told to shove his totally legal company.

Look, I'm not a lawyer, but I have dealt with contract law with lawyers twice in the last 20 years once in a technical advisory sense and once as a defendant so at least I have a vague idea of the legal specifics going on here.

It is painfully obvious that you have absolutely no idea how contract law works. I'm not trying to take sides in this argument, I have no real incentive to support any of the players involved, and I don't really care about the outcome of this case either way.

I'm simply telling you that Epic are the only party at fault in their own lawsuit. Stop and let that sink in for a second, because the contract law these lawsuits are based on really only deals with who is at fault. It's not a moral/ethics investigation nor the thin end of a wedge to open up an antitrust case with one of the regulatory bodies.

Epic know they are going to lose and they are doing it for the publicity - that's the only sane hypothesis I can come up with.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
So was The Standard Oil.

Nobody is asking to do "it" for free, what a dumb strawman.

1) Stop repeating dead argument, nobody has ever challenged that something violates rules that Apple made up
2) Google is not even remotely as filthy, they don't get 30% cut when customer refunds, they don't ask for eternal subscription cut either, stop mentioning them both in one sentence.

That is exactly what it is about.
Laws are written based on higher level principles of fairness and customer interests, it's not a gospel that somehow appeared in this world out of blue.

As I said before

Exaggerated wordings won't strengthen your point, if there is any.

Please do not mix things up.

None of your statements could justify the illegal actions taken by EPIC.
They broke the T&C they agreed and signed with Apple (and Google).
EPIC violated the contract law.

Anything after that are just smokescreen and excuses made up by EPIC.

Apple (and Google) 's T&C might be harsh and non-ethical.

But 2 wrongs don't make a right.
None of those could justify EPIC's illegal actions.

Epic know they are going to lose and they are doing it for the publicity - that's the only sane hypothesis I can come up with.

Everyone does know this except for the Epic diehards and romantics with wishful thinking of a better world where multibillion companies stand behind their interests and justice departments would act on morals and ethics instead of the actual law.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Everyone does know this except for the Epic diehards and romantics with wishful thinking of a better world where multibillion companies stand behind their interests and justice departments would act on morals and ethics instead of the actual law.
Heh. The only way any company can become a multi-billion company is by exploiting everyone and everything for the absolute maximum they can get away with. They don't have anyone's back outside of the shareholders, and that even excludes most of their own employees!

System Name Times Killer
Processor Rytzen 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H110 Extreme Performance AIO
Memory 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-38
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 3080 10gb +130/1200 / MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X OC +180/+850
Storage 2 X 1TB WD blue 1X 4gb WB red 1x LG WH16NS40 16x blu-ray writer 1X 12TB WD Gold
Display(s) HP Omen X 27
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D W/ airflow kit
Audio Device(s) SoundblasterX AE-5 plus / Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Carsair 850-M
Mouse Logitech Proteus spectrum G502
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 home
why is everyone calling it a "cut" when it's not, it looks like a markup the customer pays,does't seem to be taking anything from the developer, it added the 30% to what the costumer pays. seems developers loses nothing.you can even see it in the screen shots of the stores.
8fa5fb02-d4e3-4a29-ac58-e1383975462f.jpg

Last edited:
I must add : some companies, not to name Huawei or Xiaomi, where kicked out from using Android system, which is far worse.
How they responded ? They built their own OS (still progressing AFAIK), to avoid any kind of pressure from US companies.
Never happened, still hasn't happened as Huawei is promising they'll support the OS updates even after the licensing extension expires this month(?) IIRC.

As for Xiaomi you do know they use their own UI, skin & apps much like Samsung, LG et al, completely based on Android?

System Name Odyssey
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
why is everyone calling it a "cut" when it's not, it looks like a markup the customer pays,does't seem to be taking anything from the developer, it added the 30% to what the costumer pays. seems developers loses nothing.you can even see it in the screen shots of the stores.
.View attachment 166200
because there's a cut going to Apple from the 10$. You as an end user you are better of paying 8$ instead of 10$
Never happened, still hasn't happened as Huawei is promising they'll support the OS updates even after the licensing extension expires this month(?) IIRC.

As for Xiaomi you do know they use their own UI, skin & apps much like Samsung, LG et al, completely based on Android?
Xiaomi phones come with Google Services preinstalled

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
.View attachment 166200

In this Fortnite case
If the 30% cut from Apple / Google is removed, the developer gets $6.993
EPIC violated the contract they agreed and sign with both storefronts, and trying to get an extra 10% (Total $7.99) into their pockets.

System Name Times Killer
Processor Rytzen 5800X3D
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 3080 10gb +130/1200 / MSI RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X OC +180/+850
Storage 2 X 1TB WD blue 1X 4gb WB red 1x LG WH16NS40 16x blu-ray writer 1X 12TB WD Gold
Display(s) HP Omen X 27
Software Windows 10 home
because there's a cut going to Apple from the 10$. You as an end user you are better of paying 8$ instead of 10$
you don't know the difference between a "mark up" and a "cut" do you?
a cut would be them taking money out of the $7.99
a mark up is adding on top of the $7.99 so the final price is $9.99 now, just like every store in exsistance.
either way, the full $7.99 was going to epic, not less then hat.

Xiaomi phones come with Google Services preinstalled
Yeah except the other person said Android & if you're familiar with the two Android ≠ Google play services, besides the poster was wrong on two counts including Xiaomi as you know already has full access to the suite of Google spyware services.

.View attachment 166200

a share of something, usually money:

The "cut" here is 30% of purchase that goes to Apple, or in this case around $3.00. Whether it costs less considering other methods of purchase is irrelevant.

Even moreso, because developers "lose nothing" either way. This is virtual currency that can be arbitrarily created at any point in any amounts Epic pleases, and they can charge arbitrary amount of real world money for that.

$7.99 they charge for direct purchase is still "a markup the customer pays". They could price it at $0.01 if they so chose. If anything, they get MORE from direct purchase, because 30% Apple's cut would leave them at around $7.00.

Last edited:
System Name Times Killer
Processor Rytzen 5800X3D
Display(s) HP Omen X 27
Software Windows 10 home

The "cut" here is 30% of purchase that goes to Apple, or in this case around $3.00. Whether it costs less considering other methods of purchase is irrelevant.

Even moreso, because developers "lose nothing" either way. This is virtual currency that can be arbitrarily created at any point in any amounts Epic pleases, and they can charge arbitrary amount of real world money for that.

$7.99 they charge for direct purchase is still "a markup the customer pays". They could price it at $0.01 if they so chose. If anything, they get MORE from direct purchase, because 30% Apple's cut would leave them at around $7.00.
really? becuase 30% of the $8 is about $2.40 and that's around what apple ADDED to the price.

but lets say your right, and it's 30% including of what apple added, then that would make the cut to the developer around 8-9%
which is now less then what epic takes.

so what is epics point in "doing this for developers" now?

Last edited: