• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Brief History of Cybercrimes from 1964 to 2017

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I found an interesting infographic about the history of cybercrimes from 1964 to 2017. According to it we have had more than 1000 incidents in this year. I didn't realize that there have been so many in 2017. Looks like we have had a hell of a year.

Once I started seeing typical thugs become computer savvy, it was inevitable.

I am surprised when it comes to governments though. America actually seems less advanced (or less bold) than Russia/NK/etc.. At least as far as we know.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Most wealth, largest ecommerce market, most global corporations headquartered there, etc.

Also the source is the US National Cyber Security Center. Iran isn't going to report their breaches to that organization. :roll:

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
To expand a little on my first point, I kind of fell off the deep end in my teens and hung around gangs. I was still a geek and only trying to be cool, of course. But after that got to be too much, I resorted back to how I was as a kid....playing games and tinkering with computers. This was still the 90s, and even then, cyber criminals were people like Kevin Mitnick. Guys who were mostly doing it for fun or curiosity. It wasn't until a couple of years ago it seemed to change and I saw a documentary on identity and credit card theft. They had blurred out interviews with some of the perpetrators (at least low level perps) -- and it was like seeing a convergence of the worlds I grew up around. These guys didn't act or talk much different than the thugs I distanced myself from. They were both geeks and thugs.

So that's kind of what I mean. Everything involving computers eventually becomes accessible. There was a time when "home" computers were a joke idea.. until Woz and Jobs. A time when office automation was niche. A time when Linux was only for zit faced nerds in their basement. And now the same goes for crime.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
thank you it's pic so i can save

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
To expand a little on my first point, I kind of fell off the deep end in my teens and hung around gangs. I was still a geek and only trying to be cool, of course. But after that got to be too much, I resorted back to how I was as a kid....playing games and tinkering with computers. This was still the 90s, and even then, cyber criminals were people like Kevin Mitnick. Guys who were mostly doing it for fun or curiosity. It wasn't until a couple of years ago it seemed to change and I saw a documentary on identity and credit card theft. They had blurred out interviews with some of the perpetrators (at least low level perps) -- and it was like seeing a convergence of the worlds I grew up around. These guys didn't act or talk much different than the thugs I distanced myself from. They were both geeks and thugs.

So that's kind of what I mean. Everything involving computers eventually becomes accessible. There was a time when "home" computers were a joke idea.. until Woz and Jobs. A time when office automation was niche. A time when Linux was only for zit faced nerds in their basement. And now the same goes for crime.
Your giving those two more credit then they deserve , spectrum and comodore brought computers to the masses those two mostly sold a few to nerds all be it first.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Your giving those two more credit then they deserve , spectrum and comodore brought computers to the masses those two mostly sold a few to nerds all be it first.

Fair enough. I thought the Apple II was far more than just for nerds though (like the Apple I). I don't know when Commodore made their first home computer...although the first computer we had growing up was a Vic-20.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Fair enough. I thought the Apple II was far more than just for nerds though (like the Apple I). I don't know when Commodore made their first home computer...although the first computer we had growing up was a Vic-20.
Id argue most before those two were a bit niche that's all , but the first comodore 64 spectrum face off was to me when random people started getting them.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Hi junior high I had access to teletypes and later a Vic-20 at the neighbors but my first computer purchase was a commodore 64 in 1982.

mac_user

It is interesting and at the same time frightening to see how much the cybercrimes evolved over the years! These days, you cannot be sure which link is safe or infected. I think that the best way to prevent a cyberattack plotted against you is to educate yourself as much as possible! :(
I found a very interesting piece explaining in details a new approach used by scammers, which I haven't heard before. It is called Malvertising and its purpose is to "infect a computer or network via existing advertising banners on the network. There are many ways in which internet criminals can do this: infecting websites through malvertising is just as possible as infecting an entire advertising network and spreading harmful code over it." It is very dangerous and hard to detect because they tend to use very popular sites & when you click on the banners they affect your computer with viruses or Trojans immediately! However, there are some things we can do to protect ourselves from this threat. You have to have an antivirus system & keep it up to date! Another thing is that you can block your adds and do some other things explained in the article above. I hope this info is helpful! ;)