• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A suggestion for an easy revision to the program to avoid an unnecessary frustration for users

Rand Denner

So this is a very useful tool that I like, but I find some things frustrating about it.

Once you start and the files are downloaded and extracted, you have three options:
1) install
2) open the extracted files folder
3) make a backup installer of the extracted files

But it only allows you to do ONE of them!
I would like to be able to do more than one (and an option I would like isn't there). But once you chose one, NVCleanstall does it and then deposits you on a page where the only option is to close, and it then wipes the temp files immediately when it does.
Even if you did backup the extracted files, running NVCleanstall again won't seem to let you use them as the source, anyway. So unless you dug into the buried temp file where NVCleanstall puts the Nvidia original and copied it out before it deletes it (which it seems to do automatically and without notice once it's done auto extracting the files, which makes it tricky to find and copy manually before it does that) it will waste time and data downloading it all over again. Then waste more time extracting it again, when it already extracted the files at least once. Further, iirc, it puts the Nvidia original in a different path folder than the extracted files (I could be misremembering this).

So I would really like the option to back up the Nvidia original installer, as well as maybe make the NVCleanstall backup version of the drivers, as well as install, without each option negating the ability to chose the others before closing and restarting the process from the very beginning.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
In case you wonder why your post took so long to appear. For new members the spam filter is set to be quite aggressive and sends slightly suspicious posts to a manual approval queue

So I would really like the option to back up the Nvidia original installer, as well as maybe make the NVCleanstall backup version of the drivers, as well as install, without each option negating the ability to chose the others before closing and restarting the process from the very beginning.
How about: only option 1 ("install") goes to the "finished" screen while the other two remain on the same (three options) screen?

Rand Denner

That's a good start. It's most of what I'd like. Thank you.

I have a question, though. I realized that I was confusing how NVC works with Geforce Experience (which I hated). IT was the program that offered to download and install the driver, not NVC, but it buried the file and deleted it while installing so you couldn't back it up.
But where does NVC get the files from? Does it download the Nvidia original, or does it grab the files from somewhere else?
Because if it does get the original, I'd like to have the option to click a button and open that path so I can back that up if I wanted to, along with the three options that are already there.
Or have it in the same path the existing button opens (maybe a subfolder with folders for the original and extracted files?)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit