• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Gains Majority Control Over StarVR Joint Venture

Starbreeze AB (NQSE: STAR A, STAR B) and Acer Inc. (TWSE: 2353, LSE: ACID) announce today that a new capitalization plan has been agreed for the StarVR Corporation - the joint venture for marketing and sales of the StarVR Virtual Reality (VR) headset. Under the new agreement, Acer will inject USD 5 million into the joint venture and increase its interest to 66.7%. Starbreeze will be relieved from its remaining capital commitment of USD 7.5 million and its interest will be 33.3%.

The joint venture, originally announced 25 June 2016, was created with a capitalization plan of up to USD 25 million to be shared equally between Starbreeze and Acer through capital injections on a set schedule. As of today, a total of USD 10 million has been injected into the company in equal amounts by the two parties. Under the new arrangement, Acer will provide a capital injection of USD 5 million into the joint venture. No further capital injections have been agreed, but the parties are proceeding in their support of the joint venture. As majority owner Acer will be able to facilitate future financing for StarVR Corporation should further capital needs arise.

"Starbreeze remains fully dedicated to the field of VR where we see great potential in the development of location-based VR that gives users access to premium VR experiences. We have pushed design and technical innovation to fruition in our StarVR collaboration with Acer. Starbreeze will continue to push innovation in the headset and focus on its core business - content. Our games and related premium VR experiences will primarily use the StarVR headset for location-based VR centers and we are eager to continue contributing to the success of StarVR," says Starbreeze CEO Bo Andersson Klint.

"VR is one of Acer's key focus areas, as we continue to make huge strides across hardware, software and content development to unlock its potential. The increase of Acer's stake in StarVR underlines our commitment to the industry, and we look forward to continuing to deliver best-in-class VR experiences through our successful partnership with Starbreeze and ongoing technological innovation," says Acer Chairman and CEO Jason Chen.

Starbreeze continues to hold StarVR-related intellectual property rights, including patents and trademarks related to InfinitEye, StarVR (headset), ePawn and the StarVR SDK (Software Development Kit). Acer continues to hold patents related to electrical engineering, mechanical design and ergonomics that are used in the headset. R&D and reference design for the StarVR headset will also be carried out by Starbreeze and Acer going forward.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Two smartphone monitors together and we got, Ultra wide view .:) ULTRA nice for an experience .

Two smartphone monitors together and we got, Ultra wide view .:) ULTRA nice for an experience .
Who cares how it's done, as long as it works? This is the first time I see some real innovation in the VR space since the original Oculus.

I was excited about the StarVR helmet when news of it appeared early last year. Then I found out it was not for sale to end consumers which was a let down to put it mildly. So I'm still waiting for something much better than my HTC Vive to come along.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
Who cares how it's done, as long as it works?

People with brain. Small group, I know, but still...

E: BTW there is a project on Kickstarter that's very similar to this, but using two 4K display.

I was excited about the StarVR helmet when news of it appeared early last year. Then I found out it was not for sale to end consumers which was a let down to put it mildly. So I'm still waiting for something much better than my HTC Vive to come along.
yea I refused to buy first gen for 2 reasons. FOV and DPI. Both suck on current gen. I dont want to buy a VR helmet thats going to be outdated where my GPU doesnt even get challenged after a gen or two.

StarVR is the same DPI but way way better FOV. Personally I would love an in between the two. Same res as StarVR but a lower FOV for better DPI and better FOV than the first gens. 5K on each eye will still be hard for top tier cards for several years meaning i won't bother buying a new HUD for a few years but it'll still be nice playing other games. I tend to prefer to lag a few years in games so I can always max out games.

E: BTW there is a project on Kickstarter that's very similar to this, but using two 4K display.

uses LCDs so ghosting is bad.

Dumb people always think they're smart. Maybe you should read up on that.

And the idea of two separate screens instead of one... you know, because you have two eyes, is pretty cool. How you can shit on an idea before you could have possibly tried it... I'm actually sorry for you, if you're not just trolling with the other guy.

Last edited:
Dumb people always think they're smart. Maybe you should read up on that.

And the idea of two separate screens instead of one... you know, because you have two eyes, is pretty cool. How you can shit on an idea before you could have possibly tried it... I'm actually sorry for you, if you're not just trolling with the other guy.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612

you guys do realize that vive and oculus both use two screens too right? :slap:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+Vive+Teardown/62213