• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 4700S 8-core Processor Desktop Kit Listed as an Official AMD Product

Pretty sure the stock cooler is small enough to fit 56mm clearance.
Alternatively you can get something compact and semi-decent in uATX form factor, like Rosewill FBM-X2, or one of many cheap ITX cube cases for under $60. Combo it with EVGA BQ or something along these lines and you have a winner. Another option is FSP CST110(which coincidentally is my new el-cheapo favorite for office SFFs), which can be paired with FSP SFX Pro/Dagger or generic Seasonic SFB series for under $110 total.
Worst case, since we are hypothetically on a tight budget, is a generic uATX SFF case with built-in 300-400W PSU for under $35-$40 (FSP, Gamemax, Intertech, or gazillion OEM and unbranded chinese models with questionable PSUs). :D :D :D
There are always options.
True but using these cheaper all in one solutions also help a potential 4750G/5700G build. In the end it comes down the the SoC price difference and how much a dGPU will cost in any given day.

Personally i dont see the appeal of 4700S to many people. It's too unbalanced with 8c/16t CPU but no iGPU. If they had released something like 6c/12t with the iGPU intact that would have been a far more potent combo.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you looked at the price of discrete GPUs these days? Why would a netcafe buy this in preference to a cheap Ryzen 4300G, only to put a GT1030 in it? That's a more expensive, more complicated solution plagued with availability issues.

Even ignoring that elephant in the room, there's also the issue that this isn't really a PCIe graphics slot. It's 1/16th the bandwidth of a modern PEG slot and whilst it's true that GPUs don't need all the bandwidth of a 4.0 x16 slot, it's been proven many times PCIe 3.0 x8 starts to see impact on high-end cards and PCIe 3.0 x4 significantly hurts even the midrange GPUs. At 2.0 x4 and shared with all the other things the chipset is doing, that slot is of very limited use for a graphics card other than mining.

The same net cafe's that were buying up whatever for their mining farms? Sorry but after seeing pics of a netcafe owner posting racks loaded with 2080s a year ago, "Have you looked at the price of discrete GPUs these days? Why would a netcafe buy this in preference to a cheap Ryzen 4300G, only to put a GT1030 in it?" seems like a tune straight off of the world's smallest violin.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
And 4700S is 317+ and still needs case, PSU, SSD and dGPU.
Not much cheaper even tho includes the board and memory. X300 is around 150.
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-2128880 > 718€
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-2128889 > 287€ plus 317€ for 4700S equals 605€.

So 4700S is slightly cheaper but has no expansion and faster dGPU's wold be horribly bottlenecked. Also is limited to SATA so no DirectStorage support in the future.
Granted. I did not choose the cheapest components for either one. Rather i went for decent (and well reviewed) components from known manufacturers.

Also a bad idea to pair Ryzen with only single 8GB DIMM. That would leave a lot of performance on the table. Plus most SO-DIMM kits are 3000Mhz CL22 or worse. I chose the best one that's on the market. In August there will be retail 5700G for 360 (MSRP) that is cheaper than 4750G now. Tho when Renoir came out i got one for liittle over 300€. The prices have gone up since then reflecting poorly on 4750G. Underservedly so. With 300€ like it was last year the total build cost would be roughly equal to 4700S.

Nothing wrong with pairing a Ryzen with 1 dimm.

True but using these cheaper all in one solutions also help a potential 4750G/5700G build. In the end it comes down the the SoC price difference and how much a dGPU will cost in any given day.

Personally i dont see the appeal of 4700S to many people. It's too unbalanced with 8c/16t CPU but no iGPU. If they had released something like 6c/12t with the iGPU intact that would have been a far more potent combo.
Unbalanced, there are other 8 core non APU Ryzens

Nothing wrong with pairing a Ryzen with 1 dimm.
Yes if you're okay with losing ~20% multicore performance. Even more if the timings are bad like seen with the latest ASUS laptop drama. This is common knowledge at this point.
Unbalanced, there are other 8 core non APU Ryzens
Yes but those are meant for high end systems that are always paired with dGPU's. 4700S is targeted at the low end clearly so its oddly unbalanced with overkill 8c/16t CPU portion but defective/disabled iGPU. 6c/12t or even 4c/8t are good enough for low end users as evidenced by AMD themselves branding those under Ryzen 3 (3200G, 4350G, 5350G etc) but giving those a working iGPU unlike 4700S.

There would also be no point in selling for example 4750G, 5700G or 5750G with iGPU disabled because 3700X, 3800X and 5800X already exist.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The same net cafe's that were buying up whatever for their mining farms? Sorry but after seeing pics of a netcafe owner posting racks loaded with 2080s a year ago, "Have you looked at the price of discrete GPUs these days? Why would a netcafe buy this in preference to a cheap Ryzen 4300G, only to put a GT1030 in it?" seems like a tune straight off of the world's smallest violin.
You're confusing correlation and causation.

Netcafes turned to mining last year not because they had lots of GPUs, but because they had to close and couldn't let anyone in. Your average Asian netcafe, even the one full of people playing games, is NOT full of high-end machines. Just watch one or two of the many youtube channels that covers the Asian esports/internet cafe culture and you'll find hardware that, for the most part, meets minimum or recommended spec of lightweight esports titles only.

The Netcafe owners didn't have a bunch of 1200W PSUs powering their rigs, nor did they have 3 2080 GPUs per rig; Most of those would have been explicitly bought for Etherium mining once the cafe was forced to shut down by the government under COVID restrictions. What you had with Internet cafes in Asia in 2020 was a bunch of businessmen who owned/rented space with lots of power and ethernet and KVMs, but no way to sell that space to customers. Buying a few PSUs and GPUs was the obvious solution because even a non-mining motherboard can easily support 3-4 GPUs and an internet cafe that's closed to customers is the perfect server-room for an ETH mining operation.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
You're confusing correlation and causation.

Netcafes turned to mining last year not because they had lots of GPUs, but because they had to close and couldn't let anyone in. Your average Asian netcafe, even the one full of people playing games, is NOT full of high-end machines. Just watch one or two of the many youtube channels that covers the Asian esports/internet cafe culture and you'll find hardware that, for the most part, meets minimum or recommended spec of lightweight esports titles only.

The Netcafe owners didn't have a bunch of 1200W PSUs powering their rigs, nor did they have 3 2080 GPUs per rig; Most of those would have been explicitly bought for Etherium mining once the cafe was forced to shut down by the government under COVID restrictions. What you had with Internet cafes in Asia in 2020 was a bunch of businessmen who owned/rented space with lots of power and ethernet and KVMs, but no way to sell that space to customers. Buying a few PSUs and GPUs was the obvious solution because even a non-mining motherboard can easily support 3-4 GPUs and an internet cafe that's closed to customers is the perfect server-room for an ETH mining operation.

The point what I was making, these netcafes have a ton of mid to high-range boards, and mosy likely have more of these GPUs than than they have actual motherboards. If they ever want to go back to being just netcafes from being a mining operation something like this isn't far-teched as they already have a bunch of not-1030tis.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The point what I was making, these netcafes have a ton of mid to high-range boards, and mosy likely have more of these GPUs than than they have actual motherboards. If they ever want to go back to being just netcafes from being a mining operation something like this isn't far-teched as they already have a bunch of not-1030tis.
Yeah I guess you haven't been reading the thread properly; That PCIe slot is not for serious graphics cards and exists likely for troubleshooting and headless setup only.

You can physically plug in an RTX 2080 or whatever but the actual PEG interface from the CPU has been disabled, so not only will it be cripplingly slow, it's also running off and sharing that cripplingly slow interface with every onboard device controlled by the chipset.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah I guess you haven't been reading the thread properly; That PCIe slot is not for serious graphics cards and exists likely for troubleshooting and headless setup only.

You can physically plug in an RTX 2080 or whatever but the actual PEG interface from the CPU has been disabled, so not only will it be cripplingly slow, it's also running off and sharing that cripplingly slow interface with every onboard device controlled by the chipset.

Need a source for that claim because that is completely tangent to what AMD is advertising.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Need a source for that claim because that is completely tangent to what AMD is advertising.
As mentioned, this thread is the source, specifically this post.

I can never remember who used to do what, but I have a feeling that @TheLostSwede works or worked designing motherboards at Asrock which is far more authoritative than my 2c. Apologies if I'm mixing up my forum members.