• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD A12-9800 "Bristol Ridge" AM4 APU with ASUS A320M-C Tested

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
I get what you both are saying and appreciate the opposing views, however I am with Chromatix here because to me the real hassle is swapping motherboards and literally replacing everything versus just pop off your cooler and take 2 seconds to swap cpu's and reattach cooler and voila you have "new" system. Especially if it means throwing away even 100 bucks on stuff I never can use that is just insult to injury to me, and no idea how you can call swapping processors "screwing around" compared to replacing everything in your chassis! To me that is the real royal pain in the arse and hours of time if you got a lot of stuff and cables to re-route, re-attach etc. I want Zen to be awesome but case in point I have x79 with old sandy bridge e ES that was all I could afford after getting RIVE and good GPU etc and I would prefer to just have the Ivy Bridge cpu's crash in price with Zen coming along and kicking butt so I can simply get a now affordable upgraded processor and "plunk" it in and be done. Especially if Zen isn't much better than what I have but even if it is this system still is way more than I need for anything I do (like posting here lol), but even if it is better even at similar price point for whole system I'd rather just swap my cpu; because much as I love building systems when it's my own and no profit is involved the love of doing it wears off quickly when it seems you never are out of your case and you spend more time screwing around with hardware than actually having it turned on and using and enjoying it.

john kling

Is it a safe bet that an HP with a A series 9800 socket am4 can be upgraded to a ryzen or the next A series processor?

Chromatix

Yes, but check for BIOS updates first. You will definitely need a BIOS update on an OEM system before fitting Summit Ridge. If the OEM hasn't made such an update available yet, proceed with *great* caution.

The Ryzen 7 1700 has the same TDP as the A12-9800. This makes it the most likely option to retain full thermal compatibility.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Is it a safe bet that an HP with a A series 9800 socket am4 can be upgraded to a ryzen or the next A series processor?
No, it's not a safe bet to even try a desktop Ryzen in a laptop, for starters they do not have built in graphics, perhaps the next gen APU's will slot in, but as mentioned may most likely need a BIOS update.

Chromatix

Who said anything about a laptop? The A12-9800 works in the AM4 socket and is available in prebuilt OEM systems. The A12-9800P is the laptop version, and is soldered in place.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Who said anything about a laptop? The A12-9800 works in the AM4 socket and is available in prebuilt OEM systems. The A12-9800P is the laptop version, and is soldered in place.
My mistake, I was reading recently about upcoming LGA Processors for AM4 laptops and confused the APU as being for them.

john kling

What is odd HP in the US is one of very few manufactures that sell machines with the socket 4 bristol ridge a12 chip. I have not been able to find a single source for the chips themselves. The idea is to plop one in a mother board with support and later upgrade to a ryzen or future A series.
Has AMD already stopped production?

Chromatix

I also think it's very strange that AMD hasn't released Bristol Ridge to retail yet - but AFAIK they *are* in current production, and retail availability is planned soon.

Even if they are overshadowed by Ryzen, they are APUs intended for use in the cheaper A-series m/boards.

john kling

I also think it's very strange that AMD hasn't released Bristol Ridge to retail yet - but AFAIK they *are* in current production, and retail availability is planned soon.

Even if they are overshadowed by Ryzen, they are APUs intended for use in the cheaper A-series m/boards.
One of the the HP desktop bristol ridge 9800 socket am4 pcs list ami f.03 bios. Would this recognize a ryzen or future a series socket 4 processor?

john kling

One of the the HP desktop bristol ridge 9800 socket am4 pcs list ami f.03 bios. Would this recognize a ryzen or future a series socket 4 processor?

Chromatix

The version number doesn't appear to mean anything by itself. Look specifically for the release notes saying "Ryzen support".