• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD and Intel Announce Settlement of All Antitrust and IP Disputes

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
You mean like they did a few years ago with the Athlon 64, and it was so good Intel told its customers that if they bought any of AMD's chips instead of Intels shiatty overheating Pentium IV's, that Intel would cut them off?

You mean a chip like that?

Jesus, I'm starting to agree with MailMan -- some people are just never going to understand this, and there's no point arguing about it anymore.

Some thing like that ..

I mean they now have the money they really wanted and they have brought the BIG chip maker down , Maybe now they can focus on there chips and video cards and stop the BS !

Yes there was and is no doubt the A64's were smoking fast and way better than the P4's but come on ! that was almost 5 yeas ago and what is coming out of AMD is not the heavy hitting CPU's we were all craving now are they ?
Get it together AMD put that cash into some real R&D !
BTW EVERY ATI card I have ever had was nothing if not hot and unstable !

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Wow, something that actually makes sense and AMD gets money, could this have been their plan all along? Who knows, but it does seem AMD had some beef. Really, they shouldn't have to pay that EU fine now to be honest. I don't think Intel is rich over this but it looks like they both mutually benefit from shared architectures which is a good thing.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
So now that Intel is forking over 1.25 Billion in cash , Does this mean now we can put this all behind us ? Maybe now AMD can focus on making a CPU that can compete in the desktop market ? Or make a Video card that doesn't OVER HEAT ? Well they have the money to do this now right ?

Some people will not get over this at all :shadedshu

"Maybe now AMD can focus on making a CPU that can compete in the desktop market " - clearly you haven't seen reviews (except I7), 955 and 965 are monster CPUs which sometimes kicks I7. Even the little 720 threatens the C2Q 9650. You can build a good spanking Gaming PC for less than $400 with AMD+ATI than I7 or C2Q:D

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
BTW EVERY ATI card I have ever had was nothing if not hot and unstable !
:laugh: You must have your components in a BBQ grill then.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
The real problem with all this is the animosity that still lingers within the ranks . Giving that kind of cash away to some one is going to crate a rift and this is some thing I see as a HUGE rift . AMD is a great company yes but so is Intel all we do as consumers is buy from them the product we want and like . None of this is reliant to any one of US here as we just buy the product they wish to put out . We are consumers nothing more . I highly doubt that any one of us is going to see any thing better at all from Intel or AMD and what is even more disturbing is the fact that Intel has just lost 1.25 Billion dollars and just whom do you egg heads think they are going to go after to recoup the losses ? If you think for one second Intel is going to just walk away empty handed THINK AGAIN !

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
I'm very happy to see this news finally happen. Yes Intel did some things that weren't very good, but the money that would've been paid out would have never went to AMD so it was rather useless to keep having these things spawn up.

This way AMD gets part of the money and they have a new agreement for the intelectual properties and will maybe play nice together for a while. I'm also happy for Intel as I wish them no harm despite what has happened in the past.

It looks like a win win to me for both companies.

Kei

(as for making a cpu that "competes"....you must be joking or blind...or just hateful lol)

System Name ---
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
The real problem with all this is the animosity that still lingers within the ranks . Giving that kind of cash away to some one is going to crate a rift and this is some thing I see as a HUGE rift . AMD is a great company yes but so is Intel all we do as consumers is buy from them the product we want and like . None of this is reliant to any one of US here as we just buy the product they wish to put out . We are consumers nothing more . I highly doubt that any one of us is going to see any thing better at all from Intel or AMD and what is even more disturbing is the fact that Intel has just lost 1.25 Billion dollars and just whom do you egg heads think they are going to go after to recoup the losses ? If you think for one second Intel is going to just walk away empty handed THINK AGAIN !

Here you go one more time. Yes I agree both companies put out their best offerings, crap or good its upto the customers to decide. You can't just go beat up OEM companies to stop producing products based on your competitors offering. This is the problem discussion here. They did, they earned tons of money now they are found guilty and they paying their penalty, END OF STORY. Move On.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Here you go one more time. Yes I agree both companies put out their best offerings, crap or good its upto the customers to decide. You can't just go beat up OEM companies to stop producing products based on your competitors offering. This is the problem discussion here. They did, they earned tons of money now they are found guilty and they paying their penalty, END OF STORY. Move On.

Man how blind are you this is not a win win for any one of us ! Yes maybe Intel and AMD but for the consumer ? For the person that buys the product ? No you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !
And NO YOU are wrong NO one was found guilty they just settled out of court . And NO this is far from the end of story And once them prices stop falling and go the other way maybe then you will see through that AMD green haze you are in . Intel was wrong and they knew yes maybe so I do not care what I care about is how this is all going to play out on the pocket books of the consumer and so far it is not looking all that good .
When the government looses money what do they do ? Raise taxes , what does the oil industry do when they need BILLIONS ???? They raise the price of fuel !! You will see . :twitch:

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Is 1.25b enough to get AMD out of all their debt? If so, how much will they have left over to put towards expansion and or R&D?

System Name ---
Man how blind are you this is not a win win for any one of us ! Yes maybe Intel and AMD but for the consumer ? For the person that buys the product ? No you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !
And NO YOU are wrong NO one was found guilty they just settled out of court . And NO this is far from the end of story And once them prices stop falling and go the other way maybe then you will see through that AMD green haze you are in . Intel was wrong and they knew yes maybe so I do not care what I care about is how this is all going to play out on the pocket books of the consumer and so far it is not looking all that good .
When the government looses money what do they do ? Raise taxes , what does the oil industry do when they need BILLIONS ???? They raise the price of fuel !! You will see . :twitch:

"you people just don't see it well not yet but you will soon when Intel has to raise prices to recoup the HUGE losses it is me and you that will be paying for this !" - thats the penalty you need to pay.

Don't understand, so you always want AMD to get hit hard so you can buy Intel CPUs for cheap (which they aren't BTW)?

Yes I don't want both companies to raise prices, hopefully I don't buy a single core CPU for $150 like olden days. May be if that is the case I would have chosen a different hobby :D and reduced my house warming :roll:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Is 1.25b enough to get AMD out of all their debt? If so, how much will they have left over to put towards expansion and or R&D?

LOL ! They should have held off on the acquisition of ATI maybe ?

AMD CEO = WOW we just got 1.25 Billion dollars now we can start some real R&D !!

Intel = WOW we just lost 1.25 billion dollars looks like we need to raise the prices !

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm very happy to see this news finally happen. Yes Intel did some things that weren't very good, but the money that would've been paid out would have never went to AMD so it was rather useless to keep having these things spawn up.

This way AMD gets part of the money and they have a new agreement for the intelectual properties and will maybe play nice together for a while. I'm also happy for Intel as I wish them no harm despite what has happened in the past.

It looks like a win win to me for both companies.

Kei

(as for making a cpu that "competes"....you must be joking or blind...or just hateful lol)

You sir, have it right in all aspects of your post. :toast:

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10

AMD CEO = WOW we just got 1.25 Billion dollars now we can start some real R&D !!

Intel = WOW we just lost 1.25 billion dollars looks like we need to raise the prices !

Wow, why don't turn down the hate a notch?

1,25bil is pocket money for Intel. They make that much in a yearly quatter. Remember the EU fine? Well Intell covered the whole thing and still made a profit in Q3 this year...

Prices won't go up, nor down but at least AMD can patch up the leaks and we can be sure Intel'll still have some competition on the CPU market.

Plus ATi went under back then, the GPU market wouldn't be what it is today... "Hey check it out, the entirely NEW GTX 8800+!@#$@$ is out @ the egg and it only costs your firstborn child plus half your soul!"

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro

hey man, go hit up some economy 101 classes and come back eh...

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

again, you lack the ability to see long range or evaluate the present for that matter. the AMD/ATI aquisition is what is saving AMD and will lead them into the future with better footing

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
again, you lack the ability to see long range or evaluate the present for that matter. the AMD/ATI aquisition is what is saving AMD and will lead them into the future with better footing

I think that the AMD lawsuit is fine and the fact that Intel is done with this mess is evident in there settling out of court .
But if you think that loosing billions of dollars is not going to affect you in some way you are the one needing classes ! Just because Intel is a money making cash cow doesn't take this one fact away THEY LOST 1.25 BILLION dollars ! The fact remains Intel LOST hard money and just because they make it in a quarter doesn't take the fact that they no longer have it now does it ? What do you think they are going to do then ? Play nice ? lower prices ? how about laying off 200 -500 people ? when companies loose cash they have to think of ways to save it as well . So when you think about it yes this has HURT Intel BIG TIME and AMD is loving it too . But to think this is in some way going to help you in the future is dumb ! No the only ones that have won any thing here is AMD to the tune of 1.25 BILLION dollars !
Maybe now Intel will stop there BS and start to act like a company ?
As for your condescending remarks maybe will all find out just how good this deal was ?

System Name ---
I think that the AMD lawsuit is fine and the fact that Intel is done with this mess is evident in there settling out of court .
But if you think that loosing billions of dollars is not going to affect you in some way you are the one needing classes ! Just because Intel is a money making cash cow doesn't take this one fact away THEY LOST 1.25 BILLION dollars ! The fact remains Intel LOST hard money and just because they make it in a quarter doesn't take the fact that they no longer have it now does it ? What do you think they are going to do then ? Play nice ? lower prices ? how about laying off 200 -500 people ? when companies loose cash they have to think of ways to save it as well . So when you think about it yes this has HURT Intel BIG TIME and AMD is loving it too . But to think this is in some way going to help you in the future is dumb ! No the only ones that have won any thing here is AMD to the tune of 1.25 BILLION dollars !
As for your condescending remarks maybe will all find out just how good this deal was ?

Man I can't get this thru your skull :slap:

"THEY LOST 1.25 BILLION dollars" - Out of their 10 billion gained in cheating money they gave back 1.25 so they still are at profit.

"how about laying off 200 -500 people" - you are talking about this? When Intel went to dark side and played fool game, guess what happened, AMD had to fold and let go lots of people. So you like that?

And oh I am done with this here. No point in talking. :mad:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

sorry if I am condescending I just feel like you are talking very aggressive for something that I dont think you fully grasp

Intel cant take it out on us. for Intel to take it out on us they would have to raise the prices. that isnt going to happen because we have AMD pumping out some great products for CPU & GPU markets

basically since AMD was infused with that, we as consumers are actually going to benefit even moreso because AMD will become more competetive and also please their investors. as consumers we want their investors happy so they they can do their job w/out being hassled

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

I think you are making way too many assumptions without knowing the facts. 1.25 Billion dollars is nothing to intel, nor will it have any impact on me or you. Rage on.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I think you are making way too many assumptions without knowing the facts. 1.25 Billion dollars is nothing to intel, nor will it have any impact on me or you. Rage on.

I hope so . :respect:

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I hope so . :respect:
Maybe its hard to understand for you, but Intel do make billlions of dollars per quarter.
A 1.25 Billion "lost" is really nothing for them. This is how freakin rich Intel is.
It is richer and more powerful than most countries in the World.

Last edited:

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
WOW, I didn't even notice that it said the name of the Court it happened in. I live maybe 45 minutes from that courts door lol. :laugh:

Kei

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Maybe its hard to understand for you, but Intel do make billlions of dollar per quarter.
A 1.25 Billion "lost" is really nothing for them. This is how freakin rich Intel is.
It is richer and more powerful than most countries in the World.

its nothing to Intel but AMD sure knows how to stretch 1.25 billion in more ways than one

Reactions: Kei
System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
I'd prepared a longer post than this, but in an attempt to save a flame war and infractions:

You guys need to stop saying 'pocket money' or 'this is nothing to intel', especially the ones recommending economy classes to other members. The EU fine and this payout here represent roughly 43% of Intel's year to date income. Paid out in a 2 month time span. I can guarantee you their accountants are looking for slack in their budget right now.

Now yes, this is their income that's taking a hit, so its over and above their regular operating expenses. However 'Income' doesn't translate into 'money straight into the bank'. A company's profits are used to fund expansions and asset aquisition, more R&D, expanding their work force, extraneous expenditures (fines lol) and many other things. I can also bet you that Intel has a team of monkeys that sit down and earmark this money for uses months in advance. What happens when 43% of their funding pool suddenly gets paid out?

Now this won't sink Intel, but I can guarantee you they felt it.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I'd prepared a longer post than this, but in an attempt to save a flame war and infractions:

You guys need to stop saying 'pocket money' or 'this is nothing to intel', especially the ones recommending economy classes to other members. The EU fine and this payout here represent roughly 43% of Intel's year to date income. Paid out in a 2 month time span. I can guarantee you their accountants are looking for slack in their budget right now.

Now yes, this is their income that's taking a hit, so its over and above their regular operating expenses. However 'Income' doesn't translate into 'money straight into the bank'. A company's profits are used to fund expansions and asset aquisition, more R&D, expanding their work force, extraneous expenditures (fines lol) and many other things. I can also bet you that Intel has a team of monkeys that sit down and earmark this money for uses months in advance. What happens when 43% of their funding pool suddenly gets paid out?

Now this won't sink Intel, but I can guarantee you they felt it.

+1 !!!!!