• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces 2nd Gen Ryzen Quad-core and Energy-Efficient Processor Models

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I see those spikes just about every day hundred times a day. I'm on i3-6100 :D:D:D
The thing is, if spikes is all you see, a faster CPU won't do much for you. If you don't see at least one core maxed out for any significant period of time, your CPU isn't the bottleneck in your system. But this varies from one person to the next.

i totally agree with you! a 45 w chip make no sense! the fx-8120 with min 150w is the way to go!
Yes, you want the power to scale upwards relative to the core count because what is a power budget right? No one needs a single boost thread - the eighth core is only for subzero overclockers, anyway... I'm marking this as a product segmentation teaser targetted just for the overclockers.

Performance-wise, it seems it will compare to a 3.9GHz 6/12 Ryzen 5 1600 which at normal times comes at 127 watts TDP. I couldn't be bothered with blindfold-overclocking so color me impressed.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
What's wrong with i5-8500T?
The IGP, it's drivers, the platform's life, the stock cooler, the overclocking capabilities. Other than that, it's quite good.

The IGP, it's drivers, the platform's life, the stock cooler, the overclocking capabilities. Other than that, it's quite good.
There aren't any proper OC capabilities, but why would that be important in this case? You want to buy a factory tuned-down CPU and overclock it? It makes no sense at all. :-o
The cooler is very basic, but easily good enough for this CPU (and actually pretty quiet on a 35W CPU).

As for gaming... HD630 is pretty nice actually. It all depends what you play and we play different games than 7 years ago, when APUs really shined.
HD630 is fine for many MMORPG or even some lighter AAA titles like Diablo III.
Also, I think many gamers today are either fed up with modern games (more and more "action"-oriented, simple and shallow) or just want to play their favourite games from childhood. :)
You don't have to buy a 1080Ti and buy all the latest titles, to be an avid gamer. Look at the huge popularity of GOG. :)

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
There aren't any proper OC capabilities, but why would that be important in this case? You want to buy a factory tuned-down CPU and overclock it? It makes no sense at all. :-o
The cooler is very basic, but easily good enough for this CPU (and actually pretty quiet on a 35W CPU).

As for gaming... HD630 is pretty nice actually. It all depends what you play and we play different games than 7 years ago, when APUs really shined.
HD630 is fine for many MMORPG or even some lighter AAA titles like Diablo III.
Also, I think many gamers today are either fed up with modern games (more and more "action"-oriented, simple and shallow) or just want to play their favourite games from childhood. :)
You don't have to buy a 1080Ti and buy all the latest titles, to be an avid gamer. Look at the huge popularity of GOG. :)

I think the same about gaming, but the Intel driver has problems with compatibility, I'm speaking from experience with my notebook's HD5500, the AMD driver is a lot better for light or heavy gaming.
Overclocking capabilities also means downclocking capabilities, and making a 35w chip a 25w sounds very nice ;)

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)

Is it also affected by security flaws?

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Yeah that too, but I think those software mitigations are needed for professional users, one should have the option to not enable them if it's not for something critical, I'm not afraid of my savegame data being stolen on an Intel machine, let's use the Ryzen for critical data.

I think the same about gaming, but the Intel driver has problems with compatibility, I'm speaking from experience with my notebook's HD5500, the AMD driver is a lot better for light or heavy gaming.
OK. I'll agree that some games will just not start on Intel. This is something I've learned to live with during my 8 or so years without dGPU. You're limited to what works (but it's not a small subset, to be honest).
Once a game starts, the fps at low details is surprisingly fine. IGP used to be fairly unusable for gaming 10-15 years ago. I think people still look at them based on what they remember from totally different times.
Overclocking capabilities also means downclocking capabilities, and making a 35w chip a 25w sounds very nice ;)
8500T can be switched to TDP-down of 25W. :)
Please, stop this nonsense already. :/ All CPUs have security flaws. All manufacturers provide software patches. All try to fix these problems in hardware as soon as possible.
This whole Spectre/Meltdown obsession really made this forum look lame. :/
let's use the Ryzen for critical data.
This approach is exactly the opposite of what risk managers would recommend. :)
With CPUs (and OSes as well), the basic assumption is that there always are security flaws and it's important to find them as soon as possible.
If you're worrying about your "critical data", Intel is the clear choice - precisely because of how well tested platform it is.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I was throwing a jab at Intel :p EPYC apparently is selling well anyway.
The 8500T can be lowered to 25w, but at what frequency? My i3-5005U can do 15W (down from 25) but at 600MHz. With downclocking you just keep the stock frequency.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
[Responding to me, Nemesis.ie]:
Please, stop this nonsense already. :/ All CPUs have security flaws. All manufacturers provide software patches. All try to fix these problems in hardware as soon as possible.
This whole Spectre/Meltdown obsession really made this forum look lame. :/

The point, in this case, is not the question of the flaws/fixes themselves (which should be applied and as you say affect every manufacturer to some degree) but how much performance loss results.

Yes, they should of course be fixed in hardware and one would hope ASAP.

I'm still looking to see a comprehensive benchmark review of how the various fixes affect performance in apps/games on the different architectures.

For example running "InSpectre" shows "Slower" on my Lenovo laptop (I think it's SB) but "Good" on my Haswell and Ryzen boxes - the latter with a note that it's not affected by Meltdown.

But does the same "Good" rating mean the same % drop (or not) in performance?

Do you not think it's reasonable for consumers to know what the relative performance between products is when they have been made as secure as currently possible?

/OT

I was throwing a jab at Intel :p EPYC apparently is selling well anyway.
The 8500T can be lowered to 25w, but at what frequency? My i3-5005U can do 15W (down from 25) but at 600MHz. With downclocking you just keep the stock frequency.
1.6 GHz down from 2.1 GHz base clock. I don't know what happens to 3.5 GHz turbo.

BTW: 5005U is max 15W and TDP-down is 10W. :) 600W looks like the lowest possible step, so that's pretty aggresive.
The point, in this case, is not the question of the flaws/fixes themselves (which should be applied and as you say affect every manufacturer to some degree) but how much performance loss results.
No, it's not. Security is security. You install the critical fixes and accept the new situation.
If you're really curious, you can check yourself before and after. :)
I'm still looking to see a comprehensive benchmark review of how the various fixes affect performance in apps/games on the different architectures.
Maybe no one cares? Typical consumers (not interested in what's happening under the hood) surely don't.
Do you not think it's reasonable for consumers to know what the relative performance between products is when they have been made as secure as currently possible?
Because you would like them to be able to make a conscious choice between fps in games and security?
Then no. I think we're better of without such benchmarks being public.
If people had literally no way to block the security updates, then I wouldn't care.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Um, if you already have the CPU, yes, you suck it up or sell it if the performance becomes too low, but if you are making a buying decision it is definitely useful to know what the effect of the patching will be.

It's not just FPS in games either, if you patch your PC so your banking apps etc. are safe (which you should do) it might be nice to know if that nukes your gaming performance.

Just because people are apathetic or unaware doesn't mean the issue is irrelevant.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
1.6 GHz down from 2.1 GHz base clock. I don't know what happens to 3.5 GHz turbo.

BTW: 5005U is max 15W and TDP-down is 10W. :) 600W looks like the lowest possible step, so that's pretty aggresive.
Yeah, the lowest step on normal use is 800MHz, 10w TDP reduces it to a fixed 600MHz clock.
You're right, it's 10-15w.