• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces FreeSync, Promises Fluid Displays More Affordable than G-SYNC

Had a bit of a thought, Since AMD has to certify all monitors to be freesync. They have pretty much locked up freesync to AMD only gpu's. Since g-sync module could possible be updated firmware to support it, but since freesync software is as it stands amd proprietary software. AMD in sense has done same thing everyone rips on nvidia for, they just did it under everyones nose's.

AMD doesn't have to. They offer it free, like a courtesy for marketing. The important part is VESA Adaptive-Sync certification. That doesn't have to reach AMD at all. Once its VESA certified anyone can piggy-back off of it.

As far as software goes Nvidia just has to change the way it communicates through DisplayPort, change the method in which it syncs. Nothing stopping them.

Processor Intel Core i7 9700KF @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S / NA-FC1+Noctua and Be Quiet! Fans
Memory Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHZ
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 12GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe
Display(s) MSI G244F + Dell P1914S
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 Black
Audio Device(s) A] Onboard > Logitech Z623 B] Denon DRA-295 > JM Lab Cobalt 810
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W with APC 1400VA UPS
Mouse Asus Strix Carry + Corsair MM300
Keyboard Ducky One 2 TKL MX Silver
Software Win 10 64Bit
As a gamer who always maintains 60fps, is there anything about Gsync or FreeSync that can do anything positive for me, or is it only intended for people that experience frame rates that fall below 60 during gaming?

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
AMD doesn't have to. They offer it free, like a courtesy for marketing. The important part is VESA Adaptive-Sync certification. That doesn't have to reach AMD at all. Once its VESA certified anyone can piggy-back off of it.

As far as software goes Nvidia just has to change the way it communicates through DisplayPort, change the method in which it syncs. Nothing stopping them.

AMD claims its free and a standard, which its NOT the standard and software is proprietary and locked to AMD gpu's. They did pretty much same thing nvidia did while whining about what nvidia did. AMD spouts freesync/adaptive sync are one and same, which all amd fans believe and and repeat it cause they think its the truth and nvidia can support freesync which they can't since its proprietary amd software.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I like now how its in an official announcement finally. The only downside I can see so far is the first reported driver (15.3) is supposed to not support CFX yet sadly :(

I am interested in seeing it in action in the real world as I want some comparisons so we can choose.

I have to say though, these advancements (Gsync and freesync) have one major purpose and that to me when the FPS is constantly changing. Situations like that mostly arise on 144hz displays whether it be 1440p or 1080p so I personally do not see much of a point on a 60hz panel even at 4K with how difficult it is to run. That being said, I will be interested in the pricing of a panel that will be 4K 60hz just for fun but I am more wanting to compare these since no matter what you choose its probably going to lock you to one side of the GPU market.

AMD claims its free and a standard, which its NOT the standard and software is proprietary and locked to AMD gpu's. They did pretty much same thing nvidia did while whining about what nvidia did.

AMD didn't outsource a T-Con to Assera. They proposed changes that have been in eDP 1.1-1.3 to be implemented into DP 1.2a through VESA and it happened. Nvidia is part of VESA governing body but they didn't do that. They choose to use DP 1.2 in its current state and develop a communication method off of that while outsourcing the T-Con module to Assera. The benefit to that is first to market and lock down VRR eco system.

You sound like you want AMD to start making Adaptive-Sync drivers for everyone.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I never saw frame tearing before. Heard about it but never seen it.

Last edited:
AMD claims its free and a standard, which its NOT the standard and software is proprietary and locked to AMD gpu's. They did pretty much same thing nvidia did while whining about what nvidia did. AMD spouts freesync/adaptive sync are one and same, which all amd fans believe and and repeat it cause they think its the truth and nvidia can support freesync which they can't since its proprietary amd software.
Not to feed you, but I just want to comment on a few pieces here.

- Amd is NOT charging any manufacturers a licensing fee or charging royalties, so YES it is free.

- Amd has NOT locked free-sync (which I think could just as easily be called adaptive sync) to JUST AMD. I am sorry if your Nvidia cards don't support it, but you should look at your green gods Nvidia, and throw the negativity their way. Nvidia chose to not implement display port 1.2a. Can't blame AMD for that.

- Amd is not charging any markup on monitors that have adaptive-sync/free sync. That doesn't even make sense (since when does AMD make monitors)? It's very easy, Manufactures can double dip. As long as Nvidia fans buy g-sync monitors, they can keep the price high. Now that AMD has free-sync (or just call it VESA adaptive sync, and take AMD's name out all together) they are lowering the cost of basically the same panel by $100. Sure, why not? If I could sell something to you that is $100 cheaper than the competition, put back an extra $100 in my pocket, I would do the same. That basic supply/demand without drowning out the inventory of g-sync monitors.

I appreciated you chiming in with an nvidia slanted response to basically everyone's post is every AMD thread ever, but I had to correct just these few pieces for you.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Not to feed you, but I just want to comment on a few pieces here.

- Amd is NOT charging any manufacturers a licensing fee or charging royalties, so YES it is free.

- Amd has NOT locked free-sync (which I think could just as easily be called adaptive sync) to JUST AMD. I am sorry if your Nvidia cards don't support it, but you should look at your green gods Nvidia, and throw the negativity their way. Nvidia chose to not implement display port 1.2a. Can't blame AMD for that.

- Amd is not charging any markup on monitors that have adaptive-sync/free sync. That doesn't even make sense (since when does AMD make monitors)? It's very easy, Manufactures can double dip. As long as Nvidia fans buy g-sync monitors, they can keep the price high. Now that AMD has free-sync (or just call it VESA adaptive sync, and take AMD's name out all together) they are lowering the cost of basically the same panel by $100. Sure, why not? If I could sell something to you that is $100 cheaper than the competition, put back an extra $100 in my pocket, I would do the same. That basic supply/demand without drowning out the inventory of g-sync monitors.

I appreciated you chiming in with an nvidia slanted response to basically everyone's post is every AMD thread ever, but I had to correct just these few pieces for you.

Well said Cybrnook2002.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Had a bit of a thought, Since AMD has to certify all monitors to be freesync. They have pretty much locked up freesync to AMD only gpu's. Since g-sync module could possible be updated firmware to support it, but since freesync software is as it stands amd proprietary software. AMD in sense has done same thing everyone rips on nvidia for, they just did it under everyones nose's.

False on all points.

Nothing has to be certified for it to work. That's a formality for branding b/c people are stupid and have no idea what adaptive sync is.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This is all good news basically. Anandtech has a nice article on it (kinda kybosh the whole G-Sync perf hit though - the hit is ludicrously small, as to be imperceptible). The point is, will it make G-Sync cheaper? - Maybe a a wee bit but G-Sync only works for Nvidia, Free-Sync only works with what supports DP1.2a (which notably isn't supported by R9 280/X or 270/X - bummer for some).

If you buy Nvidia currently, you probably don't mind paying a bit more for G-Sync - after all it is cheaper than buying a new AMD GPU and Free-Sync monitor. If you have a GCN 1.1(?) gpu now, it's great for you as well.

There's no needs for folks to get all antsy about it and leap to either sides defence.

To add, Freesync certification does not lock anything up. It's already public knowledge that it's free to have your panel FreeSync certified (put the sticker on the box) and you can choose to do so if you wish (manufacturers). But that does not mean that ONLY freesync monitors will work with adaptive sync. AMD has started AMD cards will support the same technology on basic adaptive sync panels as well, so no white list/black list.

This is all good news basically. Anandtech has a nice article on it (kinda kybosh the whole G-Sync perf hit though - the hit is ludicrously small, as to be imperceptible). The point is, will it make G-Sync cheaper? - Maybe a a wee bit but G-Sync only works for Nvidia, Free-Sync only works with what supports DP1.2a (which notably isn't supported by R9 280/X or 270/X - bummer for some).

If you buy Nvidia currently, you probably don't mind paying a bit more for G-Sync - after all it is cheaper than buying a new AMD GPU and Free-Sync monitor. If you have a GCN 1.1(?) gpu now, it's great for you as well.

There's no needs for folks to get all antsy about it and leap to either sides defence.
Agreed, sigh...

I just like the thought that no matter what camp your in (green or red or intel) , we can all benefit from baby smooth frame rate gaming. That's what it should all be really be about.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+

Um its NOT the standard its proprietary amd software that uses the standard so its AMD locked.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/214 <--

DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient DisplayPort feature that enables real-time adjustment of monitor refresh rates required by technologies like AMD FreeSync™ technology. AMD FreeSync™ technology is a unique AMD hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync

As long as one person get's it, then I am happy. So thanks for that

you are not one of them that gets it i see.

i guess that goes without saying amd fans that flame and troll nvidia threads. Sad all people that bite on every word AMD claims even if they are not true. I guess 75% of market share that uses nvidia shows how well those lies are working out for AMD.

Only works with AMD cards as its proprietary use of the spec. its option part of DP 1.2a not required so. not anything with 1.2a will support it.

/me clicks unwatch on this thread to not see idiot response email updates.

Last edited:
Um its NOT the standard its proprietary amd software that uses the standard so its AMD locked.

Only works with AMD cards as its proprietary use of the spec.

you are not one of them that gets it i see.

Only works with AMD cards as its proprietary use of the spec. its option part of DP 1.2a not required so. not anything with 1.2a will support it.
Read it a little slower and closer, it's pretty easy to see what it's saying. Adaptive sync is a key ingredient in making freesync work. The way that reads is freesync (which is worded as a software option) needs adaptive sync (VESA Standard in dp1.2a(hardware option)) to work. Where is it technology locked? Except if you are meaning that you can't run an Nvidia card with AMD drivers using freesync, yes that wont work. But that does not mean that only AMD cards can use adaptive sync (needed for free sync). It's open to anyone who wants to adopt it.

Last edited:
inb4 DP 1.3 or 1.2b or whatever next version is an updated multiplatform version of freesync, just like what vulkan with mantle

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Um its NOT the....< all the crap I'm dribbling>.....port it.

/me clicks unwatch on this thread to not see idiot response email updates.

lol.

I recently had to ignore a chappy like this from the red camp. This must be his green brother. I literally don't know what he's saying.

titter titter tee hee

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
lol.

I recently had to ignore a chappy like this from the red camp. This must be his green brother. I literally don't know what he's saying.

titter titter tee hee

Every site should have a case of these on hand

:p

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Anyone know when will the windmill demo be available ?

Reading up on the fresh rates, it appears the AMD freesync driver (likely a adaptive sync range) supports from 9 to 240hz off the adaptive sync standard. But as already has been said, current technology is operating within the 30 - 144 hz range. BUT, what is cool about this is that gives panel manufacturers breathing room to continue developing better panel technologies to broaden our useable range lower than 30 and higher than 144 (with still great input times) using existing sync'ing technology from today.

We are getting there, we are starting to see IPS technology creep into the 120+hz range (on the mainstream, yes I know korean overclocking panels have been around) This is good for everyone, so for Free-sync (adaptive sync) nothing would change just the hardware being released from the panel manf's. Then for G-Sync, a potential update to the G-Sync module broadening its range (which would of course be installed on whatever new panel technology comes out) as you wont be able to update your existing monitors g-sync module to support ranges outside of what the integrated panel can support. Either way a new monitor would be required......

Just wanted to add that.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
To add, Freesync certification does not lock anything up. It's already public knowledge that it's free to have your panel FreeSync certified (put the sticker on the box) and you can choose to do so if you wish (manufacturers). But that does not mean that ONLY freesync monitors will work with adaptive sync. AMD has started AMD cards will support the same technology on basic adaptive sync panels as well, so no white list/black list.
Pretty much. As far as most people are concerned, FreeSync is Adaptive Sync by another name. The hardware and implementation remain the same but the branding attempts to drive differentiation where there is none ( Kind of like how PCI-E x4 b/w sourced M.2 is "Ultra M.2" or "Turbo M.2" depending on who's trying to sell it to you). It allows AMD to keep their branding front-and-centre, but tends to obfuscate the actual implementation. Even AMD's FAQ alludes to the fact that the two are different but provides no actual example of the differences:
How are DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync and AMD FreeSync™ technology different?
DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient DisplayPort feature that enables real-time adjustment of monitor refresh rates required by technologies like AMD FreeSync™ technology. AMD FreeSync™ technology is a unique AMD hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable user-facing benefits: smooth, tearing-free and low-latency gameplay and video.
Is DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync the industry-standard version of AMD FreeSync™ technology?
The DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync specification was ported from the Embedded DisplayPort specification through a proposal to the VESA group by AMD. DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an ingredient feature of a DisplayPort link and an industry standard that enables technologies like AMD FreeSync™ technology.

I suspect that once DP1.3 becomes entrenched, the separate branding will largely dissolve and Adaptive Sync will just become another ubiquitous feature found on all but the most basic feature-set monitors.

Pretty much. As far as most people are concerned, FreeSync is Adaptive Sync by another name. The hardware and implementation remain the same but the branding attempts to drive differentiation where there is none ( Kind of like how PCI-E x4 b/w sourced M.2 is "Ultra M.2" or "Turbo M.2" depending on who's trying to sell it to you). It allows AMD to keep their branding front-and-centre, but tends to obfuscate the actual implementation. Even AMD's FAQ alludes to the fact that the two are different but provides no actual example of the differences:

I suspect that once DP1.3 becomes entrenched, the separate branding will largely dissolve and Adaptive Sync will just become another ubiquitous feature found on all but the most basic feature-set monitors.
Yes, I agree with you that, in my conclusion, adaptive sync and free-sync and the same thing. With AMD helping to work with VESA on creating the standard, AMD is able to offer now a certification on technology. (And they should be able to)

I think the devil in the details will be those monitors that have not gone through the AMD certification program, BUT offer adaptive sync MAY give users a sub-par experience which people might confuse and throw back at AMD, calling it free-sync. Free-Sync monitors are only monitors that AMD has sanctioned to perform within AMD spec and offer AMD's sough after experience in the adaptive sync realm. This is where I think we might see a fork in the road.....

Keep in mind a "Free-Sync" experience will involve a driver portion from AMD, so they do have skin in the game. This is why they also have the cert program to make sure it's all correct. Now running a intel broadwell with a normal adaptive sync monitor, that's not AMD anymore.

I am just glad we have finally rid the issues of v-sync vs input vs tearing across the board. (Or at least are working towards there)