• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Renoir for Desktop: Ryzen 4000G, PRO 4000G, and Athlon PRO 3000G

SL2

4000G Pro is actually easier to get, there are even SKU's with coolers included. In stock. Not saying they're common, tho.

Checked just ONE board, it supports some 4000G Pro models, but no sign of the non-Pro.

1595452126892.png

Last edited:
4000G Pro is actually easier to get, there are even SKU's with coolers included. In stock. Not saying they're common, tho.

Checked just ONE board, it supports some 4000G Pro models, but no sign of the non-Pro.

View attachment 163075
CPU will run just fine. They just can't use their advanced PRO features unless enabled by OEM.

Joe Braga

I Guess that in near future 400-series chipsets motherboards will be compatible com them

YAYgee

From Anandtech's article:

So these chips will work on both 400 and 500-series boards, but given that there's no indication whether the teased upcoming retail APUs will be these or some other solution (new silicon?) there's no indication if those will work on 400-series boards. Personally I wouldn't buy a 400-series board for these anyhow, for three reasons: iGPU/SoC VRM capacity (those new iGPUs is going to pull a lot more power than the older ones, especially when overclocked), RAM trace quality/speed support, and HDMI 2.1. All B550 ITX boards support HDMI 2.1, which makes them a shoo-in for a HTPC.

Just let me buy one of these, okay, AMD? Please?

Do any of those boards support 4K@120Hz? Would be misleading to claim HDMI 2.1 while it's nowhere near 48Gb/s of bandwidth. Maybe it simply supports more features but it isn't full-blown 48Gb/s HDMI 2.1.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Do any of those boards support 4K@120Hz? Would be misleading to claim HDMI 2.1 while it's nowhere near 48Gb/s of bandwidth. Maybe it simply supports more features but it isn't full-blown 48Gb/s HDMI 2.1.
HDMI 2.1 is not all about bitrate, there are many other goodies that are built-in now.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
HDMI 2.1 is not all about bitrate, there are many other goodies that are built-in now.
Indeed. Native/universal VRR support is a big one for sure.

Yep but quad core is more better than dual core + ht, specially if both cpus stay in same frecuency

Next intel step is put core i3 quad core as new pentium :roll:

:)
AMD has really forced Intel into actually innovating again finally after barely trying since they won the competition lead back with original core series after it's P4 space heater. Intel's newer i3's are where things would be right now at the high end outside of the workstation segment which was it's own disaster and even more embarrassing if not for AMD's Ryzen's overall success and competition it's raised the bar on. Intel was content for like a decade of barely raising the bar. Intel was coasting badly and pretty much only doing minor fine tune incremental improvements, but very little sweeping significant improvements at all. What's happened since is AMD's forced Intel to making sweeping improvements in area's just to at least appear somewhat competitive in comparison to them. Really to Intel's credit they've been more competitive they you would have imagined they could at it's aging 14nm truth be told, but they are like the old P4 hot and inefficient by comparison, but same was true when you compare the AMD64's to what Intel came out with after them that raised the bar despite how overwhelmingly successful AMD64 was for several years.

Hopefully we'll see that again from Intel in a few more years possibly or just a more continued back and fourth level of competition between them. I don't mind seeing AMD gaining a better foothold though against Intel/Nvidia off the success it's having on the CPU side that'll be a positive thing going forward for consumers they were put into a corner confined for nearly a decade after that merger due to financial overhead of the merger and Bulldozer fiasco. AMD returning full force on the CPU is great overall for the company and it's finally allow it to leverage it's ATI merger assets more convincingly overall as debt is paid down and R&D budget expands plus they are learning how to integrate together better as a whole from a company standpoint more seamlessly that required a bit of leadership that knew what it was really doing and understand the tough decisions that need to be made in regard to what receives more emphasis on development on both the CPU and GPU side of things and what's the best compromise to push performance ahead further.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Hopefully we'll see that again from Intel in a few more years possibly or just a more continued back and fourth level of competition between them.
Intel better get on ball because I don't see AMD waiting for them to catch up.

YAYgee

Indeed. Native/universal VRR support is a big one for sure.
VRR is a feature which can be added to HDMI 2.0 devices, like was done with Xbox One and quite a few TVs (TV makers are technically allowed to claim HDMI 2.1 based on features like VRR, ALLM or eARC that can be implemented on HDMI 2.0, but will not give you the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 ports).

I expect B550 boards will have what are basically HDMI 2.0 ports while VRR, ALLM and maybe eARC could be added. Do any of the boards out now have these features? TBH I don't game much any longer, no need for gaming-specific features, but I did want to hook up a 120Hz TV. Would have loved full-fat HDMI 2.1 and desktop Renoir to have AV1 (decode). Can't wait for it though.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
VRR is a feature which can be added to HDMI 2.0 devices, like was done with Xbox One and quite a few TVs (TV makers are technically allowed to claim HDMI 2.1 based on features like VRR, ALLM or eARC that can be implemented on HDMI 2.0, but will not give you the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 ports).

I expect B550 boards will have what are basically HDMI 2.0 ports while VRR, ALLM and maybe eARC could be added. Do any of the boards out now have these features? TBH I don't game much any longer, no need for gaming-specific features, but I did want to hook up a 120Hz TV. Would have loved full-fat HDMI 2.1 and desktop Renoir to have AV1 (decode). Can't wait for it though.
I've only been looking at ITX boards, but they are all market with something like "HDMI 2.1 (up to 4096*2160@60Hz)", so reduced bandwidth but presumably otherwise compliant. I would imagine this is down to the hardware capabilities of the APUs too - next generation (which might be on a new socket) might change this.

This is still far superior to 2.0, simply due to the standardization and universal compatibility. While VRR and other features could be implemented on 2.0, there was no real interoperability as it was all based on (quasi-)proprietary extensions to the standard. AMD had FreeSync over HDMI which unlike DP-based FreeSync was AMD only (and only existed on a limited number of monitors, no TVs), and LG and Nvidia implemented a form of VRR exclusive only to the two of them. Even with reduced bandwidth 2.1, you have a guarantee that VRR and other advanced features will work with any 2.1 sink (monitor, TV) as long as it matches the feature level (i.e. you can't expect 120Hz support from a 60Hz TV). Pretty much any 2.1 TV will support eARC (support for this is only down to the signal sink, so motherboards don't need any support for eARC beyond supporting audio output).