• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and GeForce 6800 Ultra Cooling solutions needed!

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Hi people!

Was wondering, for now, what "air cooling" would you recommend for my AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (has the default Heat sink and fan), and my GeForce XFX 6800 Ultra 256Mb?

As above both have the stock cooling on them, and I would like to know what would be the "best" solution for both in terms of "air cooling"? I'm a British citizen and live in England, so pounds would be the deal for money ;)

I'm only after air cooling for now so I can save up quite a bit to eventually get a water cooling kit in this rig of mine. (I built it myself if you wish to know, not to brag because I bet everyone in here has built their own little beauty!)

So I was wondering would most of you if you can post your opinions on what you recommend as the best air cooling solution for those two components and afterwards the best water cooling kit (custom made or an actual kit, either will do :)) please? I am not asking for "the best" in terms of that, just "the best" in terms of everyones variable opinion as I'm gathering most of you have your own ideas of the best and I wouldn't want to start a flame war as that is not my intention :)

The motherboard I am currently using is an MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum so that may or may not help you out for choosing what would be best for me, the case is a ThermalTake Shark Series (Black). The motherboard is socket 939 too.

Hope all that I have wrote up is enough, if not, any more information needed will be provided as long as I know what you are asking me to do =)

--Lee

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
well for the cpu for starters this would be good and this would be better because it is copper u would have to buy a fan for it i dont beleive it comes w/ one and i would recommend Arctic Silver 5 i use it and it keeps my cpu bout 5ºC cooler than my duron used to be....as for the graphics card.....u could use your old cpu hs that would work wounders but ud need to drill holes so it could hook on the card then u would need something to support it so it doesnt snap but this might be good or something ill try to tool around later and find something that spacifically says it will fit your card but that should do it i tried finding things under bout $50 usd and i dont think any of these places would ship to u but these producs are wide spread im pretty sure u could find them i also would recommend ac5 on the grfx card as well hope this helps a tad and if u decide not to get these wich is fine its not my intention to force things on ppl try to get something thats copper or copper lapped it disipates heat better hope this helps a wittle :).................i do believe it will fit ur cpu its socket 939 correct?

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Cheers for the opinion here mate, so, you'd recommend the XP-90C CPU Cooler over the XP120, mainly due to it being copper and copper being a better conductor? I think I will get that one indeed =P

As for the GPU I was thinking about using this one; Arctic Silencer V5 (Rev.2) -- Would you recommend using the Zalman heatspreader over the choice I had in mind? If so, what advantages would your choice have over the choice I made also?

My CPU socket is indeed a 939 socket, so you remembered well :)

For the water cooling solution, what would you think of this one; Vantec Stingray Water Cooling kit.

--Lee

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
actually id go w/ what u had in mind for the grfx card i was going to recommend the as but i couldnt really remember the name ....the first thing that came to mind was cpu's and i didnt pick it up...as for the water kit it looks good its nice sept a few things that bother me the resivouir ...its kinda small but the pump is ok and as long as its a big fan it should be fine but then comes the grfx card block also nice but it seems not to have alot of info on the nvidia series cards but it will probably work i suppose if its a tad small as long as u mount it dead center it will be fine...please if u need anything else ill try to help...the only thing i ask in return are updates :)

System Name Akame
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Solaris17 said:
actually id go w/ what u had in mind for the grfx card i was going to recommend the as but i couldnt really remember the name ....the first thing that came to mind was cpu's and i didnt pick it up...

Okies mate =)

Solaris17 said:
as for the water kit it looks good its nice sept a few things that bother me the resivouir ...its kinda small but the pump is ok and as long as its a big fan it should be fine but then comes the grfx card block also nice but it seems not to have alot of info on the nvidia series cards but it will probably work i suppose if its a tad small as long as u mount it dead center it will be fine...

Okidoki! Well, with that said, what would you recommend? I'm new to water cooling and I would like to get the most out of it as I can, but to test it first I'll buy a few cheap components and a cheap water cooling kit just to play around with and make sure I get the "hands-on-experience" before I slap a good water cooling kit in this system I'm currently running!

Solaris17 said:
please if u need anything else ill try to help...the only thing i ask in return are updates :)

This is one thing I'll always agree with, and any help I get will always be updated on so people know whether the help has been useful or not and that way if people occur similar problems it is easier for them to simply be redirected to the thread where there was a fix, or at least a helpful section with tips that may help another!

I'm all about give and take, if someone helps me, I try my best to keep them updated as much as possible so they know where I am at and where they can begin or end depending on the situation, as with you, so far you have been a great help! Cheers mate you're a real star to me so far!

--Lee

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Israar said:
Okidoki! Well, with that said, what would you recommend? I'm new to water cooling and I would like to get the most out of it as I can, but to test it first I'll buy a few cheap components and a cheap water cooling kit just to play around with and make sure I get the "hands-on-experience" before I slap a good water cooling kit in this system I'm currently running!
--Lee

hm i think u are on an exellent course before u go out and buy a GOOD 1 get 1 to tinker w/ thats very good just not too cheap we dont whant leaks..those r bad....the one u pointed out eirlier would i think be good and since u sent me a link i might just get me one o those too he he but ill point u @ another one in the mean time. these guys do ship to the uk u could probably build ur own kit w/ individual better parts but the kits they selll....eh...thiswould fit ur graphics card and u might be able to hook it up to the kit u have in their @ the time assuming the tubes are 1/2 inch.....like thisone also one of the best(so i have heard) in water tech is danger den though that kit only has a cpu cooler its ok none the less....the big cooler buy these dudes is ok sept hm 1 block i dont like that very much but its supposed to be good but as i said not unless u whant to go out and buy another block....but the one u chose before should be ok and these ones might point u in a better direction...wait hold on...hmmm actually the sizes of the 6800 compaired to the ati's isnt that much it should fit so maybe id just go w/ the kit u had offered and get a better 1 later.....o and as for the xp 90 over the xp120 both are gret th xp90 is all copper while the xp120 has a copper base id go with the 90 but the 120 would be nice too if u have the room :)

Last edited: