• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Demonstrates Full Support for DirectX 12 at Game Developer Conference

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
MS just killed mantle with that news of DX11 cards are compatible with it. DX12 doesn't have to be as close to metal as mantle is and it would done it, since it has to be made to work with diff card markers has to have be able to deal with some issues. As for AMD not adding support for old 5k/6k cards not real shock as talking like 3 year old cards now. If mid to late 2015 is time table for it then cards will be just that much older, But AMD probably won't get as much flak over the matter that Nvidia would if they did same thing.

If that's the case, why was the first demonstration using Nvidia hardware?
Thanks for the Charlie Chuckles link....but no thanks - it's the same joke repeated over and over, and over, and over...
Full support? Seems as though full support means GCN only

So as far as "full support" goes how is it any different from Nvidia's? :confused:

Nvidia supports all DX11 parts where as AMD is gonna leave out 5000/6000 series cards. only 7000 seires and up will support it.

What the hell ? Where is HD 5000 HD 6000 supported, AMD ? Meanwhile, Nividia will support all of DX 11 GPUs .
I hate you, AMD. why you always drop supporting old GPUs ? I will switch to Nvidia, soon.
Pff man...
Nv just tricks again, they need only Dx12 sticker, DX12 has a lot switchable effect, NV does not support either, AMD GCN does.
NV again just mislead, every DX11 gpu will support DX12, but many special effects won't be supported, Microsoft held DX12 criterion very low...

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
All that NVidia said was 'they WILL support Mantle...oops DirectX 12..." they didn't say they could support it NOW.
Well, since the DX12 demo is running with Nvidia hardware and not AMD hardware you could argue that Nvidia have at least demonstrated that DX12 presently runs on their GPUs. I'm guessing Microsoft couldn't wait for 2015 to get a working DX12 driver from AMD :D
Furthermore how can they support an API designed to run on GCN hardware?
According to the DX12 presentation, of the IHV's, Intel have the longest involvement with the API.
That is the real head scratcher!
When you reach vacuum...STOP!
Pff man...etc etc etc
I'm assuming amdftw stands for AMD for the whine.

rav

Well, since the DX12 demo is running with Nvidia hardware and not AMD hardware you could argue that Nvidia have at least demonstrated that DX12 presently runs on their GPUs. I'm guessing Microsoft couldn't wait for 2015 to get a working DX12 driver from AMD :D

According to the DX12 presentation, of the IHV's, Intel have the longest involvement with the API.

When you reach vacuum...STOP!

I'm assuming amdftw stands for AMD for the whine.

Hmm. mindless trolls every where.

What was running on nVdia silicon was a DEMO. Not DirectX 12. "Microsoft tells us the PC Forza demo "was simply a rendering tech demo to showcase the power and ease of development for DX12. We have no plans to release Forza Motorsport 5, or any other Microsoft Studios Xbox One title on PC." When asked about specific enhancements for Xbox One, Microsoft confirmed that DX12 was on the roadmap for the console, but "beyond that, we have nothing more to share."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-directx-12-revealed-coming-to-xbox-one

So put your troll away and lets not jump off the ledge yet okay?

What was running on nVdia silicon was a DEMO. Not DirectX 12. "Microsoft tells us the PC Forza demo "was simply a rendering tech demo to showcase the power and ease of development for DX12. We have no plans to release Forza Motorsport 5, or any other Microsoft Studios Xbox One title on PC." When asked about specific enhancements for Xbox One, Microsoft confirmed that DX12 was on the roadmap for the console, but "beyond that, we have nothing more to share."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-directx-12-revealed-coming-to-xbox-one

Did you even read you own link? It's a tech demo using the D3D12 API on drivers that support D3D12 on D3D12-capable hardware. All Microsoft said was that it's not a full game and they have no plans to release Forza on PC.

just how stupid you are?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I wonder if MS will make it only for Win 8 and up when they release it? If so that would be the thing that would get me to upgrade from Win 7. For now I'm happy with Win 7 and I still have XP on my backup rig. I just can't let go of my old friend XP but I sure as hell won't be using it for anything other than some old games that don't require logging on to the net after support has stopped from MS.

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
I'm just lining up my bills to pay off before this upcoming DirectX generation happens. :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I have been wondering that also, if they make this windows 8 only that would suck even though I already have 8 pro but have 7 installed.

I wants a feature list of 12 also though.

Processor i7-13700k
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I have been wondering that also, if they make this windows 8 only that would suck even though I already have 8 pro but have 7 installed.

I wants a feature list of 12 also though.

If the release date is next year which is i guess only rumor. It could be windows 9 that its in. Some reason i doubt windows 7 sadly will get it.

Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
So quick? I know mantle and DX12 have similar goals. Does mantle = Dx12?

In an sense, in context, yes. DX12 is basically the CPU Optimization part of AMD Mantle, but there's a significant difference.

1. AMD Mantle is mainly a CPU Optimization addon for AMD Graphic Processing. It's API-software used in an AMD Video Driver. Software that is suppose to push out more frames because of the cpu bottleneck that occurs when any user is playing a PC Game, and they experience a large amount of overhead. The boon for AMD Mantle was to redirect Frame Instructions to the other cores on the CPU. Thus, the result would be a higher Frame Rate Output in real time. Instead of sending Video Instructions through one batch command (the first core mainly), Mantle was suppose to push Ram and Video Commands through other cores (batch commands) because there was a significantly lower latency, or time to process those commands.

2. DX12 is the same thing, essentially, as AMD Mantle, but where AMD Mantle is restricted to the Video Driver for those users, DX12 is just D3D9 + D3D10 +D3D11.0 + D3D11.1 (currently full support only for AMD) + D3D11.2 (currently full support only for AMD) + D3D12.0 in the upcoming Win9 OS. So it's apart of the API in the OS, and this is where it won't be restricted like AMD Mantle to just a video driver. NVidia will use it because it still uses the D3D API. Laptops, consoles, and others can use it as well.

3. This includes AMD Users because, they don't have to settle for using AMD Mantle. AMD Mantle is a low level API that acts as a substitute for D3D in certain games. i.e. Star Citizens, BF4, etc... You have the choice to choose the API, set it to Mantle or D3D in the games video options.

Other things to consider:

A. With Project Denver and Seattle coming, would it really matter if DX12 or AMD Mantle are really that significant. Think about it. If "Full" Maxwell and future R9-300/400 Graphic Cards (2015 generation) are coming out with CPU-like ARM cores, with the GPU on the video card's PCB, and it's main purpose is to redirect frame instructions to that CPU on the video card instead of the CPU on your motherboard, for the most part, could you honestly say that the API-software hype would really be a big boon to the industry. Right now, yes. In the future, it will be just another bunch of APIs that will be dwarfed by the output of the hardware.

B. This is M$'s attempt to milk some revenue returns from both AMD and NVidia for the use of a better, improved Mantle-copycat.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Other things to consider:

A. With Project Denver and Seattle coming, would it really matter if DX12 or AMD Mantle are really that significant. Think about it. If "Full" Maxwell and future R9-300/400 Graphic Cards (2015 generation) are coming out with CPU-like ARM cores, with the GPU on the video card's PCB, and it's main purpose is to redirect frame instructions to that CPU on the video card instead of the CPU on your motherboard, for the most part, could you honestly say that the API-software hype would really be a big boon to the industry. Right now, yes. In the future, it will be just another bunch of APIs that will be dwarfed by the output of the hardware.

B. This is M$'s attempt to milk some revenue returns from both AMD and NVidia for the use of a better, improved Mantle-copycat.

From http://timothylottes.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/notes-on-amd-gcn-isa.html

"DX and GL are years behind in API design compared to what is possible on GCN. For instance there is no need for the CPU to do any binding for a traditional material system with unique shaders/textures/samplers/buffers associated with geometry. Going to the metal on GCN, it would be trivial to pass a 32-bit index from the vertex shader to the pixel shader, then use the 32-bit index and S_BUFFER_LOAD_DWORDX16 to get constants, samplers, textures, buffers, and shaders associated with the material. Do a S_SETPC to branch to the proper shader"

-------------------
S_SETPC instruction is from the scalar processor within each GCN's CU and shows it doesn't need an ARM CPU.

What the hell ? Where is HD 5000 HD 6000 supported, AMD ? Meanwhile, Nividia will support all of DX 11 GPUs .
I hate you, AMD. why you always drop supporting old GPUs ? I will switch to Nvidia, soon.

AMD has claimed "FULL DirectX 12 compatibility" for their current GCNs.

Source: https://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-demonstrates-2014mar20.aspx
"Full DirectX 12 compatibility promised for the award-winning Graphics Core Next architecture"

NVIDIA has yet to claim "FULL DirectX 12 compatibility".

Last edited:
Then again i've heard several people say OpenGL 4.4 already does that and is closer to the metal than aynthing else. Just makes you wonder why the hell no one is using it, if it's so superior + easier to port on different platforms. Apparently, it's not that great for some (other) reason...

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Then again i've heard several people say OpenGL 4.4 already does that and is closer to the metal than aynthing else. Just makes you wonder why the hell no one is using it, if it's so superior + easier to port on different platforms. Apparently, it's not that great for some (other) reason...

Because it's not. Coding to the metal is never as easy as everyone claims it is, and that's why developers cried out for better hardware agnostic API's and DirectX was born.

The Tech Report - DirectX 12 will also add new features for next-gen GPUs

Nvidia's Tony Tamasi clarified in an interview with us today.
DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory—there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft "only teased" at some of those additions this week, and a "whole bunch more" are coming.

There is a noticeable difference now

DX12 = CPU overhead reduction optional
Mantle = CPU overhead reduction Included

In 2015-2016 we could be seeing DX12 games act no different with CPU overhead since its optional. :ohwell:
Probably due to cost saving.
^Might be another distinction from those that include Mantle support.

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10

In 2015-2016 we could be seeing DX12 games act no different with CPU overhead since its optional. :ohwell:

Optimization is always optional. That's why there are games that look great and run well and games that look and run like crap, and every mixture of that. The onus is, and always has been, on the developers. I highly doubt Mantle just magically makes low-level abstraction easy, I'm sure it makes it easier but I doubt you just code like normal and magically everything is running optimal.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+

Its Called compatibility as well, mantle only has to be good with AMD gpu's, DX has to work on intel, nvidia, amd, SiS, VIA, matrox, etc

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Mantle comes first, DX12 comes with same performance effect, then nvidea does it with just a driver. Something doesn't sound right.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Last edited: