• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Demonstrates Trinity APU, Its Own Thunderbolt-Alternative

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
I'd just like to point out that the trans-coding was already done... however I did find a video of the same demo with the trans-coding actually in progress... for those with a keen eye that want to spot any FPS differences with the game running. still looks pretty impressive to me. he also goes into more detail about a couple versions of the APU packages.

http://youtu.be/U6vH9OXHUJs

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
something tells me the guy doing the interview isn't much of a tech enthusiast.

"Running an HD game, transcoding, playing HD video"

"ok"

facepalm

On topic though, this looks hella good! Gone are the days when playing on an IGP instantly turns you to a laughing stock

The amazing part of the demo is the 17W Trinity part that was in the ultrathin. :eek:

Darksylum

Awesome`

Back in 2007 is when I first heard about AMD's plans to release the "Fusion" Platform . just the thought of it blew me away. A few years later when the E series came out, I was sadly disappointed. But when I bought my first laptop based on the A6-3400m I was simply stunned. Everyone underestimates the amount of power AMD managed to milk out of a skimpy 1.6ghz quad core. I am yet to run into a bottle neck that my current laptop can not overcome. Most manufacturers use very slow 5400 RPM hard drives to cut cost and reach a price point and the average user is not tech savvy enough to understand that is what is holding back the performance. Add a SSD to any Liano laptop and not only will it respond and multi task better than your typical corporate brand desktop, But it also offers a vastly superior visual performance using the integrated HD6000 series gpu. No it is not a $1,500 Gaming system but it is more than enough for the casual gamer on the go. Seeing that Trinity will be built off of a modified BD architecture ( I am guessing shared L3 cache) and also featurea new HD7xxx gpu on the die, It will officially shut Intel out of not only the budget minded laptop market but engulf the mid end gaming laptop segment. I just hope they have fixed the micro stuttering issue the A6 series had when third party manufacturers decided to corssfire the APU with a mid range discrete gpu. That will determine just how much of the mobile market AMD will dominate. Regardless, I will be buying mine as soon as they release an upper mid range model in the $600-$700 range. I am very very excited! GO AMD!

Also correct me if I am wrong, But he did not state exactly what end of the new lineup this laptop running all this fell into. If it was the entry level chip, Than it is safe to assume the upper end will perform much better. And just wait until Win8 comes out and the os can efficiently distribute load across the cores. That alone will show drastic performance gains. We are not yet able to see the true potential of this architecture.

Last edited: