• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Dragged to Court over Core Count on "Bulldozer"

There's only 4 L2 caches because there is only 4 cores. The two threads running on the same core require access to all of the L2 because the required data can exist anywhere in there.

HT has hardware just like Bulldozer. The only major difference between HD and Bulldozer is AMD added some hardware to the SMT implementation so that integer performance does not suffer. It really shows their lack of knowledge of SMT; hence the horrible implementation. Jim Keller, whom knows a thing or three about SMT came in to set AMD straight with Zen. More cores with SMT is better than cores with SMT that has extra hardware attached.
t.
Nah man there are 8 cores, 8 integer cores if want to break it down, but 8 physical units which can execute 8 threads similtaneeously.
HT isn't hardware multithreading HT is based around the OS scheduler which can schedule 2 threads to one core using spare cycles, something like that.. I don't knopw the exact science but it's done in software anyway..

The main differnce between BD and Thurban is Thurban has 6 dedicated L2 cache banks each with 1 fetch/decode unit, that's basically it. L2/L1 ram is freaking expensive, plus it takes up room on the die.

Btw the 2 way shared L2 is one of Piledrivers biggest handicaps, if not the biggest. Round trip time between CPU and L3 is super slow, about double that of Thurban or Deneb.

Piledriver has around 27ns L3 latencey, Phenom II is what, 8ns or something? I could check.....
Hence overclocking L3 does nothing to improve performance as it did on Phenom II..

If you put an X6 and an 8320 head to head I imagine the X6 will rape the 8320, as you pointed out earlier, but only up to 6 threads. After that PD is gonna pull ahead.

I wouldn't be surprised if x264 wasn't running 8 threads...? Did they say how many?
But hey that was 4-5 years ago, now with everything mutithreaded......things have changed the archetecture was way ahead of it's time......

Also corect me uif I'm wrong but wasn't BD originally designed as a server chip?

sorry about my spelling, spellcheck isn't working.. :p

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
My processor (6700K) and the processor before it (920) can execute 8 threads simultaneously as well. That's what SMT means, after all.

Thuban has 6 dedicated L2 caches because it is a legitimate 6-core processor.

The TechARP x264 benchmark comparing FX-8150 and 1055T would have ran 8 threads on the former and six threads on the latter. FX-8150 did not pull ahead. FX-8150 would likely do better in single threaded simply because of the 800 MHz clockspeed advantage.

Bulldozer was not ahead of its time considering the older Thuban architecture can best it in some scenarios and Intel bests it in most scenarios.

Bulldozer's design does look more like SPARC (huge ALU performance, little FPU performance) than a desktop CPU should. Even so, Bulldozer isn't exactly competitive with comparative Xeons.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
My processor (6700K) and the processor before it (920) can execute 8 threads simultaneously as well. That's what SMT means, after all.

The TechARP x264 benchmark comparing FX-8150 and 1055T would have ran 8 threads on the former and six threads on the latter. FX-8150 did not pull ahead. FX-8150 would likely do better in single threaded simply because of the 800 MHz clockspeed advantage.

Bulldozer was not ahead of its time considering the older Thuban architecture can best it in some scenarios and Intel bests it in most scenarios.

Bulldozer's design does look more like SPARC (huge ALU performance, little FPU performance) than a desktop CPU should. Even so, Bulldozer isn't exactly competitive with comparative Xeons.

You try hard and will lose forever.True =/= Performance, You're using Intel's Definition that's why you say 4 core.
From anandtech :

By anandtech said:
Architecturally Bulldozer is a significant departure from anything we've ever seen before. We'll go into greater detail later on in this piece, but the building block in AMD's latest architecture is the Bulldozer module. Each module features two integer cores and a shared floating point core. FP hardware is larger and used less frequently in desktop (and server workloads), so AMD decided to share it between every two cores rather than offer a 1:1 ratio between int/fp cores on Bulldozer. AMD advertises Bulldozer based FX parts based on the number of integer cores. Thus a two module Bulldozer CPU, has four integer cores (and 2 FP cores) and is thus sold as a quad-core CPU. A four module Bulldozer part with eight integer cores is called an eight-core CPU. There are obvious implications from a performance standpoint, but we'll get to those shortly.

HT is not SMT, your CPU multithreads only on 4 cores, the rest is what Windows sees. That's why it's called Hyperthreading.
Though I guess thats another debate in itself.....;)

Ahead of it's time as in AMD gambled code was going be optimized for multicores but it didn't happen. Ironically Vishera has improves with age..... never thougfht I'd say that about a CPU...

Not looking forward to Fallout 4 chugging along at 45fps though lol

Imo it boils down to 2 points,

a) what is a "core" exactly?

and

b) 8 threads/ 8 cores? isn't that the same thing?.......Does it matter?

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
the CPU is 8 cores, just some resources are shared between 2 cores

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I don't see what the fuss is all about, it's not like Fiji wasn't an "overclocker's dream".

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Jeez people, lets use some fucking block diagrams here and explain exactly what arguments exist for there being and not being real "cores".

1. One instruction/data fetch unit per two Integer cores and one floating point core (with two 128-bit FMAC units.)
    1. I personally don't buy this one, mainly because how much can be fetched per cycle can vary depending on the CPU. It's possible that it's a limiting factor but I doubt it.
  2. Decoder, the initial Bulldozer had only one uOp decoder per module.
    1. There could be some argument here as AMD went from the Phenom II being able to decode 3 per cycle as opposed to Bulldozer which could only do 4 per module. AMD revised this in Steamroller (as they should have, damn it!) and a reasonable performance gain came out of it. Obviously nothing to truly counteract the size of the pipeline.
  3. Dedicated schedulers and and L1. Nothing "shared" about that.
  4. Floating point unit... We've discussed this and I still think that it's laughable that this and only this can be a measure of how many "cores" a CPU has.
  5. L2 cache. Lets remember that the Core 2 Duo had a shared L2. Not going to go further into that one.
In all seriousness, consider Xen coming up. A lot of hardware with the SMT integer core (which is bigger than your run of the mill integer core in a bulldozer module,) is still shared with the FPU. The flaw with Bulldozer through excavator is the length of the pipeline, the IPC is a dead simple indicator for this. It's the very reason why Intel moved to a 14-stage architecture from a >30 stage one with Netburst, just as AMD's current lineup is now.

I want to say this again, Bulldozer doesn't suck because of shared resources, it sucks because the pipeline is too damn long.

The problem is when a hazard is encountered, it is much harder for a longer pipeline to recover from the stall it generates and as a result, IPC suffers and higher clock speeds are required to overcome it, (just like the Pentium 4.)

Stop whining about the FPU and focus on the damn pipeline.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
You try hard and will lose forever.True =/= Performance, You're using Intel's Definition that's why you say 4 core.
From anandtech :.......AMD advertises Bulldozer based FX parts based on the number of integer cores
I don't agree with the whole lawsuit thing - as should be readily apparent from the tone of my previous posts, but your argument in this instance is a reach. While AMD added a ton of footnotes to the PPS slide deck, the retail selling mentions nothing of shared resources. I just dug out(and ripped apart in the name of barely interested fact finding) an old BD retail box ( I don't use them but I've built a few systems with them), and nowhere is any mention of integer cores or FPU contingency

You might also have a hard time picking up the same information from any ODM/OEM's advertising
I want to say this again, Bulldozer doesn't suck because of shared resources, it sucks because the pipeline is too damn long.
That was brought up at the time. The branch misprediction penalty effectively scuppered the architecture.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
AMD says...so they can rope a dope...which is why AMD is getting sued.

HT is not SMT
Yes, it is. Two threads on one core at the same time is the very definition of symmetrical multithreading.

Ahead of it's time as in AMD gambled code was going be optimized for multicores but it didn't happen. Ironically Vishera has improves with age..... never thougfht I'd say that about a CPU...
AMD knew it wouldn't be but went ahead with it anyway.

a) what is a "core" exactly?
Your typical x86-64 core has a instruction decoder, some type of scheduler/dispatcher, ALUs, FPUs, L1 cache for instructions and data, and an L2 cache. Under that may or may not lie an L3 cache, memory controller, and some kind of interface to communicate with the rest of the system. In short, the core can function in its entirety on its own (excluding the "under that" portion anyway).

8 threads/ 8 cores? isn't that the same thing?.......Does it matter?
No, 8 symmetrical threads indicates 8 logical processors. If this was a SPARC T5, that would mean there's only one underlying core processing it. In the case of Core i7-6700K, that means quad-core with Hyper-Threading enabled. Both scenarios get you 8 logical processors but with widely different technology under it. Bulldozer has 8 logical processors but, using the definition above, it only contains four cores with symmetrical multithreading. The L1 instruction cache, instruction decoder, dispatcher, FPU and L2 cache in each core handle all threads that pass through the core.

It matters because when AMD markets something as having "8 cores" when it largely has the guts of a 4 core, performance underwhelms. Intel i7-5960X is an example of 8-core processor. Compare the relative performance of that compared to FX-8###. They are leagues apart--especially in multithreading. It's like comparing a 4790K (4 cores) to 5960X (8 cores) in heavily multithreaded benchmarks: 5960X runs away. There's a huge difference between an actual 8-core processor compared to a 4 core with SMT.

The suit is about misleading consumers. Those of us in the know see through AMD's BS (divide core count by two) but those not in the know have to learn the hard way.

By the way, this slide better shows how much is shared:

Pretty much everything except the actual number crunching.

I actually have an FX-6300 box right next to me. You're missing the sticker (can see the residue) which is the only place that says what is in the box.
FX 6300
AMD FX 6-core.
OEMs are repeating AMD's lie.

Zen omits the nonsensical second "integer core" as well as fattening up the ALUs and FPUs:

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
By the way, this slide better shows how much is shared....
This one might offer a better indication of workflow

I actually have an FX-6300 box right next to me. You're missing the sticker (can see the residue) which is the only place that says what is in the box.
The sticker on mine was still attached to the top of the box - just mentions the SKU, cache, frequency, serial and part numbers, socket, and QR code. Nothing earth shattering in the way of architectural revelations.

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
You however don't have to look any farther than the modern era of arm cores and even some server archictecutres (SPARC comes to mind) to find modern "octacore" CPUs with only one FPU.

This is nonsense. It's a core if it can math at all. Heck earlier CPUs lacked a MULTIPLICATION FUNCTION. They were still considered a core.

Pretty much this - I can run 8 processes doing integer based tasks (even some FP too) completely independently of each other on an FX-8xxx. There's definitely more independence. I sometimes play a game while streaming it while also encoding movies in the background ;)

FordGT90Concept, you have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
This one might offer a better indication of workflow
I posted that one several pages back. Yes, it's probably the best.

Related note: block diagrams for Intel processors seem scarce. :(

The sticker on mine was still attached to the top of the box - just mentions the SKU, cache, frequency, serial and part numbers, socket, and QR code. Nothing earth shattering in the way of architectural revelations.
Top has...
-QR code, fancy AMD logo that changes under light, and AMD logo
-Model number
-Model description
-Clockspeed, # MB Total Cache
-Serial # Barcode
-Serial # Text

---tear to open the box----

Back has...
-Black Edition
-Socket AM3+, Includes Heat Sink Fan
-Part #
-UPC barcode
-UPC printed

Last edited:
AMD says...so they can rope a dope...which is why AMD is getting sued.

Yes, it is. Two threads on one core at the same time is the very definition of symmetrical multithreading.
No, it isn't. And nowhere on the page you linked to does it mention SMT. (Similtaneous btw, not Symmetrical.)

Intel simply state mutiple threads can run on one core, and not similtaneously.

I'm with Aquinous in so far as this debate is getting a little repetitious.

Much ado about nothing imo...

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
No, it isn't. And nowhere on the page you linked to does it mention SMT. (Similtaneous btw, not Symmetrical.)

Intel simply state mutiple threads can run on one core, and not similtaneously.

During the same clock cycle, which might as well be simultaneously in practical terms.

@FordGT90Concept, I'm going to make this clear. Your argument is stupid, because to make it you have to find a person who is both a genius and an idiot.

If you are to argue that performance figures are what the plaintiff is using (which as per my earlier links, they are), then you've got to argue against some standard. Intel is not a direct competitor, and thus isn't a standard. If you're arguing Thuban as a comparison, then you've got to explain monetary discrepancy and an architecture change. Neither of these things is grounds for a lie, or Netburst should have had two lawsuits filed against it. As AMD published information well in advance of the release of Bulldozer, there is no reasonable assertion that they lied about the core count. Heck, I could make my own CPU, wherein each processor is single bit and have a 20 core processor. To argue that AMD lied about core count, when they previously clearly defined what a core was, is to acquiesce to being a moron. I don't think the lawyers are that stupid, because the case would be immediately dismissed by the judge.

If you argue that AMD lied, then prove it. They didn't release factually wrong benchmarks, they just cherry picked the best results. That's been considered fair game for decades.

If your argument is that the removed components are necessary, you need to be an idiot savant. You have to completely understand processor architecture, have future knowledge about how coding will use what you are developing, and you have to be so moronic as to not read the technical information put out by the company releasing the product (per the 2009 Anandtech article). Find me that idiot savant, and I'll find you the person who can single hand design the successor to Zen.

Picture John Doe walking into [insert computer store here] and tells the clerk I want an 8-core processor. The clerk hooks John Doe up with a Bulldozer. He gets home and starts encoding videos on it. He quickly discovers it is no faster than his old Phenom II X6 1055T and starts looking for the reason. He stumbles upon threads like this, block diagrams of Bulldozer, reviews saying Bulldozer underperforms, benchmarks proving the poor performance, and--most importantly--he discovers Intel Core i7-5960X which thoroughly trounces his Bulldozer "8-core." How does John Doe not feel that he was mislead by the clerk, whom was mislead by AMD calling their processors "8-core?"...

This type of idiot does not need to be protected by the legal system. The clerk behind the counter is culpable for recommending that they buy a processor. The consumer is responsible for not educating themselves on the purchase. AMD has made the information they require to make an informed decision publicly available for literally years, yet they decided not to inform themselves. Our legal system does not exist to help those with retarded mental processes; it exists to mete out reparations for those who have done things which the law forbids, to mete punishment for those which haven't done what the law requires, and most importantly determine when one is guilty of either of these things.

What you're arguing is that you feel bad. I agree, I feel that the marketing was atrocious and misleading. At the same time all of the relevant data was widely available, and AMD published their data well in advance of the Bulldozer launch. Your argument for culpability on AMD's part is an argument made via emotion. Your staunch defense of said points, despite ample proof that AMD never lied, exemplifies this denial. Saying that you know it'll be thrown out, despite wanting it to happen, is asking for a massive waste of resources to no real end.

Let me be fair though. Looking at @HumanSmoke's pictures, I can't find a single mention of core count. I'm now looking at the box for an Intel processor (4790k). That box proudly states "4 Cores / 8-Way Multitask Processing." You've spent the better part of a page arguing out the core count crap, but haven't even tried to justify your point. The core count isn't listed on the processor box of AMD. The core count on Intel's box is only 4 (despite HT). Neither of which define what a core is. Neither of which promise a numeric performance level. Most problematically, the Intel processor lists 4 cores despite having 8 logical cores with HT. Neither of the companies have demonstrably lied on their packaging. The only chance this suit has is if the judge decides to rule on the advertising material...Oh wait, they can't do that. The FTC rules on fairness in advertising.

Sorry, but your entire argument is based upon the false premise that this is a fact and logic based argument. It isn't. This is some idiot trying to cash out because they think that everyone complaining about its performance on the internets just haven't decided to cash in yet.

That particular bit of anger comes courtesy of my distaste for the law firm handling this. Seriously, if you do any research into them at all you'd see that they are the next incarnation of copyright trolls. All of their cases are arguing about high end technologies, where no precedence is set, and their track records is...spotty. Basically, like any slimy lawyer they are willing to sue anybody and represent anyone willing to cough up cash. These are the kind of leeches who give lawyers a bad name, whenever public defenders (also a type of lawyer) do so much good that it isn't funny. This is why our legal system is a joke, and it takes years just to get something to happen if you're wronged.

Should AMD be held accountable for misleading advertising; maybe. Should this be in court; absolutely not. Should this have been filed before this year; if it was actually in the public interest it should have been filed in 2011. The argument that there exists any grounds for this, given the information presented by the plaintiff, is a joke. You can argue technicalities all night, but the plaintiff must prove damages and lies (that's the point of innocent until proven guilty). Every argument you make has a simple counter. I think you're in the wrong here, because your heart is leading your head.

Edit:
Added quote and framed it.

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Let me be fair though. Looking at @HumanSmoke's pictures, I can't find a single mention of core count. I'm now looking at the box for an Intel processor (4790k). That box proudly states "4 Cores / 8-Way Multitask Processing."
Just to clarify, the packaging for all the processors is generic (as Ford mentioned), any relevant info is on the seal/sticker. The FX-8120 I have here states 8-Core (albeit the actual sticker is a bit munched up), and the info layout is the same as this.

All seems a little storm in a teacup to my way of thinking. If AMD had provided a white paper with every processor and emblazoned every package with a screed of info about shared resources and a sea of asterisks, I doubt it would have altered the buying habits of most people, any more than the GTX 970 kerfuffle seems to have deterred its uptake.

Just to clarify, the packaging for all the processors is generic (as Ford mentioned), any relevant info is on the seal/sticker. The FX-8120 I have here states 8-Core (albeit the actual sticker is a bit munched up), and the info layout is the same as this.

All seems a little storm in a teacup to my way of thinking. If AMD had provided a white paper with every processor and emblazoned every package with a screed of info about shared resources and a sea of asterisks, I doubt it would have altered the buying habits of most people, any more than the GTX 970 kerfuffle seems to have deterred its uptake.

Fair, but what I said isn't incorrect. An SKU can have whatever information you'd like on it, and it isn't advertising. It's a stock keeping unit.

Look at some of the barcodes out there, and tell me they're lying. There's a wealth of them which shorten "assorted" to "ass," and the fun ensues.

Intel and AMD don't advertise their barcodes. They label product with barcodes to identify it. This suit is about advertising, not barcodes.

Edit:
For reference, the 4790 SKU and barcode have no mention of core count. They only refer to frequency (max turbo of 4.0 GHz), cache (8MB), and socket.

Jeez people, lets use some fucking block diagrams here and explain exactly what arguments exist for there being and not being real "cores".

The problem is when a hazard is encountered, it is much harder for a longer pipeline to recover from the stall it generates and as a result, IPC suffers and higher clock speeds are required to overcome it, (just like the Pentium 4.)

Stop whining about the FPU and focus on the damn pipeline.
Well actually it's both, shared resouces and pipeline.. depends on the workload.

I'll leave it there .....had enough debates for today. ;)

OT anyone know why spell ckeck wouldn't be working in Fiirefox?

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Fair, but what I said isn't incorrect. An SKU can have whatever information you'd like on it, and it isn't advertising. It's a stock keeping unit.
Look at some of the barcodes out there, and tell me they're lying. There's a wealth of them which shorten "assorted" to "ass," and the fun ensues.
Intel and AMD don't advertise their barcodes. They label product with barcodes to identify it. This suit is about advertising, not barcodes.
Edit:
For reference, the 4790 SKU and barcode have no mention of core count. They only refer to frequency (max turbo of 4.0 GHz), cache (8MB), and socket.
As I mentioned, I just added the information for clarification - not to contend any point.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
I bet the guy wins,and rightfully so.
I don't like that it's kicking AMD when they're down but..they brought it on themselves.
Victim of Corporate shenanigans.

System Name Salamander
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.325ghz 1.206v
Motherboard Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooling EK Supremacy Evo | Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS XFlow | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm x 3
Memory Team T-Force Xtreem 2x8GB DDR4 3733 @ 3733mhz c16 1.4v | IF @ 1866mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX-470 RS Single Fan flashed to RX-570 @ stock water-cooled
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 256gb M.2 | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | WD Blue 500GB 2.5" | Toshiba 2TB 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27MP68VQ 27" 1920x1080 75hz IPS Freesync monitor
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 650w
Mouse Steelseries Kana White
Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro N
I'll just let the die shot do the talking. The FX-8000 series has 4 modules, each module contains 2 cores with shared resource. You can see cores in the die shot so "physically" it's there. On the other hand, you can't see hyper threading on the die shot so it doesn't count as a core. You may argue on the definition of what a core is. Me on the other I'd stick on what can be seen.

System Name No name / Purple Haze
Processor Phenom II 1100T @ 3.8Ghz / Pentium 4 3.4 EE Gallatin @ 3.825Ghz
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming/ Abit IC7-MAX3
Cooling CM Hyper 212X / Scythe Andy Samurai Master (CPU) - Modded Ati Silencer 5 rev. 2 (GPU)
Memory 8GB GEIL GB38GB2133C10ADC + 8GB G.Skill F3-14900CL9-4GBXL / 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC4000
Video Card(s) Asus R9 Fury X Strix (4096 SP's/1050 Mhz)/ PowerColor X850XT PE @ (600/1230) AGP + (HD3850 AGP)
Storage Samsung 250 GB / WD Caviar 160GB
Display(s) Benq XL2411T
Audio Device(s) motherboard / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro + Front panel
Power Supply Tagan BZ 900W / Corsair HX620w
Mouse Zowie AM
Keyboard Qpad MK-50
Software Windows 7 Pro 64Bit / Windows XP
Benchmark Scores 64CU Fury: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11269229 / X850XT PE http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5532432
The main problem lies in what is the definition of a core?? I'll be surprised if AMD looses this case... AMD is a quite fragile position atm and what I am worried about is the bad publicity that this generates...

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_2600k-6
http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-amd_fx_8350-7
http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_5820k-440

Cinebench R11.5, 64bit (Multi-Core)
Intel core i7 2600k = 6.83
AMD FX-8350 = 6.94
Intel core i7 5820 = 11.05

-------------------------------------
Cinebench R11.5, 64bit (Single-Core)
Intel core i7 2600k = 1.66
AMD FX-8350 = 1.11
Intel core i7 5820 = 1.73
-------------------------------------
Multi thread/Single thread
Intel core i7 2600k = 4.1145 (6.83/1.66)
AMD FX-8350 = 6.2522 (6.94/1.11)
Intel core i7 5820 = 6.387 (11.05/1.73)

Multi thread doesn't mean scalar liner , but my calc shows that AMD FX-8350 acts as 8 Core with very poor IPC.If AMD's IPC was 1.66 , Number of Cinebench R11.5, 64bit (Multi-Core) would be 10.378 , almost 52% faster than Core i7 2600K.

Edit:
AMD lawsuit over false Bulldozer chip marketing is bogus

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Well actually it's both, shared resouces and pipeline.. depends on the workload.

I'll leave it there .....had enough debates for today. ;)

OT anyone know why spell ckeck wouldn't be working in Fiirefox?
Yeah but that's not because the L2 is shared, that's because AMD sucks at making fast SRAM cache stores. The Core 2 chips had a shared L2 between two full cores and they didn't suck. :p