• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Flagship Radeon RX 7900 XTX Slips to Under $900, Now Starts at $881

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I think that was long time ago with the drivers issues.
No it wasn't:

W1zzard said:
During testing I also encountered crashes in AC:Valhalla and Elden Ring

W1zzard said:
We measured a shocking power consumption result for multi-monitor and media playback.

I have never had a driver problems since i changed my Vega 64 to a 5600XT and then 6900XT. Vega 64, didn't have driver issues as well to be fair.

To add to this a bit. You can't say that his experience is irrelevant about the drivers since most people blaming driver for something and it is not even a driver issue. Most of the time it is their own doing and yet the 'AMD bad driver' still sticks and it is easier to blame someone else about some problems. I've never had a problem with the drivers for a long time. Of course there were games or apps that needed an update since these were not working as intended but put it all in a driver issue basket is a stretch in my opinion. If there was a driver issue for the newly released cards from AMD, (watched some yt reviews and it was never mentioned to be fair) these were literally taken care of week after. If you would cling to a list of issues AMD drivers still have and are listed on AMD site well, NV has that list as well and it is normal since there is always room for improvement.
Your personal experiences are equally as irrelevant.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Your personal experiences are equally as irrelevant.
All problems or issues blamed on the drivers are from experience and you can mark them equally irrelevant.
all reviewers who get the cards before launch and beta drivers did not have any problems running them at least from the reviews I've seen. My experience is irrelevant yet other users who report an issue claiming it is driver are relevant even though these are based on their experience as well.
No it wasn't:
Is it now? Cause I have not seen massive problems but individual users reporting something. I bet their experience is more relevant than users on TPU forum?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Let me see issues with 6000/7000 drivers.

1. I am getting no display. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: Your DP cable may be out of spec.
2. I am getting Blue Screens. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: Windows pushed through an update that breaks the GPU system.
3. I am getting Random shutdowns on Gigabyte GPUs. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: They never put enough TP on the GPU.
4. System is drawing too much power at idle. Internet: AMD Drivers Reality: Within 2 Driver releases the problem was fixed but not for AMD haters.
5. Multi monitor problems: Internet: AMD Drivers Reality: Both do not run smooth if you have a 60HZ 4K panel and165HZ 1440P but 2 4K 120Hz+ are no issue.

Then there are the Nvidia fanboys (Yes on TPU) that like to call AMD users Fan boys and argue that your AMD product is Garbage because it doesn't support DLSS. Just look at all the people in the Starfield thread that are acting like AMD sponsoring the title is some kind of new tact from AMD and the fact that it doesn't support DLSS natively as a assault on Nvidia users. Well sorry for your feelings but more is coming.

Now we have a real situation where people are projecting their thoughts onto products and saying things like AMD GPUs are not selling. Well the As Rock 6800 was at $659 Canadian on Monday and gone by 4 PM. Then I look at the top selling GPU on Newegg Canada is the 6700XT at $459.99 and that is actually more than the 3060 right now but I don't see 3060s flying or for that matter 4060 series either.

The reason that DLSS is in this very thread is because of the narrative. There is no Game that the 7900 series GPUs cannot play at 4K. Pair it with a 7000 or 5800X3D (For Gaming) and smile as you laugh at comments establishing how a card that runs at 2899 MHZ in Games and has 20+ GB of VRAM could be slow and of course there is the evil empire that is AMD that had the nerve to leave some performance for the AIB partners to justify their OC upcharge.

I will end with this. There was some Garbage going around about Nvidia having 91% of the market. Well isn't the TPU What Generation is your card thread interesting in that from 2000 to 38000 votes the 32% market share for AMD was consistently maintained.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
What GDDR6 issue?

You mean the EVGA quality control issue that is in no way NVIDIA's fault?

Once again, third-party cards, not NVIDIA FEs.

Now, there is some scuttlebutt that this occurs due to these third-parties following NVIDIA's reference design, while the FE cards are overbuilt compared to the reference design. While this is definitely a concern, there's no evidence to back it up and it's honestly more likely that it's due to these third parties making their own cost cuts.

The one that happened all the way back in 2017? And to a handful of cards?

No, I'm not, but what you don't seem to be able to comprehend is the difference in magnitude. The NVIDIA issues you've listed have occurred in a handful of cards; whereas literally every reviewer who got an AMD 5000, 6000, or 7000-series on launch complained about the drivers. That's before you get to the multitude of threads by end-users complaining about the same thing.

AMD hasn't built up a reputation for bad drivers because of some conspiracy or bias by the tech press. They've built up that reputation because their drivers are *f**king bad. NVIDIA may not be perfect but in comparison to AMD, has fewer driver issues and far fewer major breaking driver issues. That's an indisputable fact.

And I agree completely with you. I hate NVIDIA because they are greedy a**holes who are going backwards by dropping USB-C, I hate AMD because they have taken a page out of NVIDIA's greed playbook and can't figure out how to write proper launch-day and low-load driver, and I hate Intel because after all their hype their GPUs turned out to be even more disappointing than their CPUs, which I would've said was impossible but Raja Koduri says hi.

I'm not trying to sway anything or anyone. I'm trying to hold companies to account for their BS.

Your examples are personal experience, and personal experience is not compelling evidence. That's how the scientific method works.
Show me the scientific method you have that shows Nvidia has less driver issues over the last two years.

You seam sure it exists.

I would like to see this, scientific evidence since you dismiss opinions that don't align with yours.

Show this proof.

Most of the evidence you just quoted was your own subjective viewpoint of what you chose to see and allowed yourself to believe, I see zero evidence, the only facts I see is you pointing to day one slight driver issues that wouldn't impact 99.999 percent of user's doing 99.9999% of tasks application's.

So let's see this data collated into proof with historic trend lines then instead of pointing at opinions while mentioning the f£#@££# words science without showing said scientific proof.

I use AMD, Nvidia and Intel GPU drivers many hours EVERY day, I see few issues with them , I as tech support for at least 1200 people see few issues reported about driver's, MS products well of course.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Let me see issues with 6000/7000 drivers.

1. I am getting no display. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: Your DP cable may be out of spec.
2. I am getting Blue Screens. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: Windows pushed through an update that breaks the GPU system.
3. I am getting Random shutdowns on Gigabyte GPUs. Internet: AMD Drivers ; Reality: They never put enough TP on the GPU.
4. System is drawing too much power at idle. Internet: AMD Drivers Reality: Within 2 Driver releases the problem was fixed but not for AMD haters.
5. Multi monitor problems: Internet: AMD Drivers Reality: Both do not run smooth if you have a 60HZ 4K panel and165HZ 1440P but 2 4K 120Hz+ are no issue.

Then there are the Nvidia fanboys (Yes on TPU) that like to call AMD users Fan boys and argue that your AMD product is Garbage because it doesn't support DLSS. Just look at all the people in the Starfield thread that are acting like AMD sponsoring the title is some kind of new tact from AMD and the fact that it doesn't support DLSS natively as a assault on Nvidia users. Well sorry for your feelings but more is coming.

Now we have a real situation where people are projecting their thoughts onto products and saying things like AMD GPUs are not selling. Well the As Rock 6800 was at $659 Canadian on Monday and gone by 4 PM. Then I look at the top selling GPU on Newegg Canada is the 6700XT at $459.99 and that is actually more than the 3060 right now but I don't see 3060s flying or for that matter 4060 series either.

The reason that DLSS is in this very thread is because of the narrative. There is no Game that the 7900 series GPUs cannot play at 4K. Pair it with a 7000 or 5800X3D (For Gaming) and smile as you laugh at comments establishing how a card that runs at 2899 MHZ in Games and has 20+ GB of VRAM could be slow and of course there is the evil empire that is AMD that had the nerve to leave some performance for the AIB partners to justify their OC upcharge.

I will end with this. There was some Garbage going around about Nvidia having 91% of the market. Well isn't the TPU What Generation is your card thread interesting in that from 2000 to 38000 votes the 32% market share for AMD was consistently maintained.
I seen a recent driver issue just now by googling "AMD DRIVER ISSUES 2023" and the "driver issue" was "my wallpaper on my windows desktop disappeared. The user blamed it on an AMD driver among other similar things like the wallpaper from windows disappeared.
I'm truly puzzled, what are people doing with their GPUs?I really have no idea.
I think it is true that the AMD driver issue notion is basically used for everything to justify your mistakes or even unrelated issues with computer hardware. If you don't know what it is you know it is an AMD driver issue. Perhaps even if you dont have an AMD GPU it can still be an AMD driver issue.
I must say it was funny to read some of the issues people have there with "AMD driver issue" :) made my day :D Some of them hilarious.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
Wtaf are you on about, the masses of people complaining about AMD drivers are not using them, odd.

I refute all your shit while using a 7900XT without ANY issues, your hyperbolic nonesense isn't backed up by many owners asking for help on TPU forums.

And I have few issues with Nvidia drivers either.
Your AMD cheerleading is quite well known on this forum…

What GDDR6 issue?

You mean the EVGA quality control issue that is in no way NVIDIA's fault?

Once again, third-party cards, not NVIDIA FEs.

Now, there is some scuttlebutt that this occurs due to these third-parties following NVIDIA's reference design, while the FE cards are overbuilt compared to the reference design. While this is definitely a concern, there's no evidence to back it up and it's honestly more likely that it's due to these third parties making their own cost cuts.

The one that happened all the way back in 2017? And to a handful of cards?

No, I'm not, but what you don't seem to be able to comprehend is the difference in magnitude. The NVIDIA issues you've listed have occurred in a handful of cards; whereas literally every reviewer who got an AMD 5000, 6000, or 7000-series on launch complained about the drivers. That's before you get to the multitude of threads by end-users complaining about the same thing.

AMD hasn't built up a reputation for bad drivers because of some conspiracy or bias by the tech press. They've built up that reputation because their drivers are *f**king bad. NVIDIA may not be perfect but in comparison to AMD, has fewer driver issues and far fewer major breaking driver issues. That's an indisputable fact.

And I agree completely with you. I hate NVIDIA because they are greedy a**holes who are going backwards by dropping USB-C, I hate AMD because they have taken a page out of NVIDIA's greed playbook and can't figure out how to write proper launch-day and low-load driver, and I hate Intel because after all their hype their GPUs turned out to be even more disappointing than their CPUs, which I would've said was impossible but Raja Koduri says hi.

I'm not trying to sway anything or anyone. I'm trying to hold companies to account for their BS.

Your examples are personal experience, and personal experience is not compelling evidence. That's how the scientific method works.
Your point are absolutely right but did you read my first post on the matter , in this thread ? AMD supporters are worse than Apple’s in this regards. They are in constant denial and it doesn’t matter if the web is literally full of people complaining about AMD drivers issues. The fact that literally EVERY single Radeon I sold had some software issue (which for me is a real PITA and a waste of my time) is described as a lie or an exaggeration, while “their 7900XT (one of the worst cards ever produced) is flawless “.

lol. As I said: reality distortion field, just like Apple’s.
32% market share when real numbers showed less than 15%.
just because TPU is populated by a lot of AMD supporters doesn’t mean that’s the market share.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
lol. As I said: reality distortion field, just like Apple’s.
32% market share when real numbers showed less than 15%.
just because TPU is populated by a lot of AMD supporters doesn’t mean that’s the market share.
Maybe TPU users are not as effected by the narrative and can appreciate the price/performance ratio. The fact is that 6000 has been a success and you may think that GPU numbers are like that but this is now and not 2021.

Please read some of the comments on that video and see that it is about 60/40 right now as Nvidia has funnily enough become the most like Apple with their Price gouging.

My 6750XT arrived yesterday. Do you see that 550 million number. That is not hyperbole. This is why Starfield has a marketing deal with AMD. Just like when DLSS was introed with CP2077 and there was no FSR support but there was not the Huge Outrage. I understand it though the 7000 series GPUs are rock solid for Gaming and have the same Ray tracing performance as a 3090. So the narrative has been pumping DLSS hard, in some cases without realizing that there are several iterations of DLSS. By the way putting the binaries on Open source is not an altruistic move by Nvidia but a desperate attempt to remain relevant in Games that are considered AAA. Just look at all the AMD users that have Game Pass and do not complain about needing upscaling to enjoy "Console ports" as we know that the hardware is the same.

Being on console is also important because as they age developers are able to squeeze more performance out of the platform. YOu can't see it because of the flash but is says Radeon Graphics. That means that Idiots like me who use all AMD will be (already am) laughing at all the whining about DLSS that is everywhere because of 1 Game but influenced by "Console" ports not being "Optimized" for PC. When the Game is available on Game Pass on day one and there is thread in here that is quite popular called What are You Playing. You do not see any of this back and forth about Hot Wheels and Matchbox.

IMG_20230629_041618410.jpg

Just like why I like to watch MSI live Streams, a real world example of what we wax on about more now than ever is this one that I have posted before.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Maybe TPU users are not as effected by the narrative and can appreciate the price/performance ratio. The fact is that 6000 has been a success and you may think that GPU numbers are like that but this is now and not 2021.

Please read some of the comments on that video and see that it is about 60/40 right now as Nvidia has funnily enough become the most like Apple with their Price gouging.

My 6750XT arrived yesterday. Do you see that 550 million number. That is not hyperbole. This is why Starfield has a marketing deal with AMD. Just like when DLSS was introed with CP2077 and there was no FSR support but there was not the Huge Outrage. I understand it though the 7000 series GPUs are rock solid for Gaming and have the same Ray tracing performance as a 3090. So the narrative has been pumping DLSS hard, in some cases without realizing that there are several iterations of DLSS. By the way putting the binaries on Open source is not an altruistic move by Nvidia but a desperate attempt to remain relevant in Games that are considered AAA. Just look at all the AMD users that have Game Pass and do not complain about needing upscaling to enjoy "Console ports" as we know that the hardware is the same.

Being on console is also important because as they age developers are able to squeeze more performance out of the platform. YOu can't see it because of the flash but is says Radeon Graphics. That means that Idiots like me who use all AMD will be (already am) laughing at all the whining about DLSS that is everywhere because of 1 Game but influenced by "Console" ports not being "Optimized" for PC. When the Game is available on Game Pass on day one and there is thread in here that is quite popular called What are You Playing. You do not see any of this back and forth about Hot Wheels and Matchbox.

View attachment 302817

Just like why I like to watch MSI live Streams, a real world example of what we wax on about more now than ever is this one that I have posted before.

So your facts are a video speaking about RTX 3060 (a meh GPU since the beginning), meaningless marketing on a card box and the idea that since AMD is providing GPUs to the consolle they have some advantages in porting (which has been proved wrong on almost every porting so far) ?
as I said, reality distortion field.
in the meanwhile I regrets suggesting RX6750XT and 6700XT to my customers, since those cards were the most prone to issues I’ve experienced so far. I’ve installed quite a lot because of the good pricing last summer, and every single customers complained. Every single one, which is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
So your facts are a video speaking about RTX 3060 (a meh GPU since the beginning), meaningless marketing on a card box and the idea that since AMD is providing GPUs to the consolle they have some advantages in porting (which has been proved wrong on almost every porting so far) ?
as I said, reality distortion field.
in the meanwhile I regrets suggesting RX6750XT and 6700XT to my customers, since those cards were the most prone to issues I’ve experienced so far. I’ve installed quite a lot because of the good pricing last summer, and every single customers complained. Every single one, which is totally unacceptable in my opinion.
No i was just inserting another opinion. Did you read any of the comments. They were full of people defending the 3060 12GB but the point was the value of AMD.

Haha, the 6700/6750XT have issues? That would explain why the As Rock 6700XT is the Top selling card on Newegg Canada. In fact I just got one yesterday for a client build and have been putting it through its paces and guess what. At 1440P the card sings.

Yep proved wrong when all the people complaining about console ports happen to not be owners of 7000 series GPUs

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Yep proved wrong when all the people complaining about console ports happen to not be owners of 7000 series GPUs
basically no one own a 7000 series GPU, that’s why they are not complaining.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
basically no one own a 7000 series GPU, that’s why they are not complaining.
Interesting comment. I put a 7900XTX in my Newegg cart yesterday and there were 35 people that had it in their cart as well.

Mouse Razer Basilisk
Interesting comment. I put a 7900XTX in my Newegg cart yesterday and there were 35 people that had it in their cart as well.
Interesting statistic: a single regional shop. And not even sales, just “in the cart”.
In the meanwhile, in the real world:

First relevant Radeon is the ancient 580. Radeon 7000 not even listed. Some Radeon 6000 are in the bottom part of the list, even below the much newer Nvidia series 40.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Interesting statistic: a single regional shop. And not even sales, just “in the cart”.
In the meanwhile, in the real world:

First relevant Radeon is the ancient 580. Radeon 7000 not even listed. Some Radeon 6000 are in the bottom part of the list, even below the much newer Nvidia series 40.
You kinda pointed out his pointless try to justify his understanding of sales showing a regional shop that does not indicate overall sales and yet you brought up the most misleading and inaccurate statistics of all times Steam Survey as a counter argument for sales in the region :) and you called it, in the real world. That is funny.

on topic.
If the 7900xtx drops to $750 or something around. I might consider getting one. There is a difference between 6900xt and 7900xtx but the price is still a bit too high.
$750 would really make me think about the purchase.

vacsati

Better and better, but still a little overpriced, since the 4070ti can be found for 800 and it gives basically the same performance with RT and even more with framegeneration.