• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD GPU Driver Crashes on two Monitor Setup

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Apologies for the long reply for a first post.
Long time TPU reader tho I never registered on the forums, till I found this thread and had to chime in to share my awful experiences and share the only solution that worked for me (see bold).

I'm on driver 22.11.2, the version that had "fixed" the dual monitor black screen driver crash issues. But I was still experience black screens with gpu driver timeout crashes on this driver.
Running a 5600XT with a main 144Hz FHD freesync and secondary a 1050p monitor connected with DP>DVI cable.

The black screen+gpu driver crashes in my case mostly occured after pc had woken up from sleep, on a clean/cold boot they also occurred yet much less frequent. Crashes only occured when running modern games/heavy 3d application. Desktop idle/browsing the system is stable.
Crashes are not reproducible, they occur seemingly at random, sometimes after 2 hours into a game or sometimes within 10 minutes. Having a browser open (or any app) with gpu acceleration on or off, on the secondary monitor, has had no influence on black screen+driver crash occurrences. After a gpu driver crash it most instantly crashed again when the offending game had started.

Noticed RadeonSoftware.exe process was sometimes gone, or it gave gpu not supported message, had to kill or restart it.
This led me to create a custom batch script did a few things. Killed RadeonSoftware.exe/cncmd.exe/explorer.exe, then ran RAMmap to clear ram, then a utility from CRU called Restart64 that restarts the whole windows display driver stack not only the gpu if I understood it correctly. Restarted explorer.exe and RadeonSoftware.
Without running this script the gpu driver would crash almost instantly again on relaunching any game. Since I reinstalled Win10 in December, CRU's Restart64 bugs out the gpu and it's performance needing a system restart to fix that.

Thanks to Sapphire who had replied on my support ticket, this was their last point to test that worked.
The solution that worked: physically unplug the secondary monitor

Since this I've not had a single gpu driver timeout crash for hours on end testing some games. On a system that came from sleep, which was my most unstable state.
This leads me to think the AMD has not fixed all the driver with multi monitor, seeing as RDNA 1 and 2 cards still show this issue with some users.

System:
MSI B450 Tom. Max
Ryzen 7 5700x
2x8Gb Crucial Ballistic Sport Lt 3200Mhz
Sapphire Radeon RX 5600XT

Monitors:
Primary: BenQ Mobios EX2510, 1080p 144Hz freesync, connected via DP
Secondary: a Phillips, 1080p 60hz, connected via HDMI

Fixes tested so far:
All usual performance tab settings tips, fan curves, undervolts, etc
Browser HW acceleration set to disabled
HW acceleration in other desktop apps set to disabled
Disabled MPO
Disable ULPS
Tested XMP enabled/disabled
MEMTEST on every setting
Tested PBO enabled/disabled with previous 3600 and 5700X
Tested SAM enabled/disabled
Set fixed refresh rate of 60/60 on both monitors
Cleanly installed Win10, fully updated and running latest latest drivers
Changed secondary monitor to a native HDMI monitor, one listed above
Continue reporting issue in AMD driver, also report issue to monitor maker

Gkirmathal

@Gkirmathal
I was in the situation. My solution was to switch to an NVIDIA graphics card (the ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 TUF to be specific).

Not sure if you've seen my other posts, but I'll assume you haven't. In my experience, the older driver 21.12.1 was actually stable, so if you want to use both monitors, you can try that. Uninstall the current driver with DDU in Safe Mode, then install the aforementioned version.
I would also recommend enabling a specific policy in the Group Policy Editor to prevent Windows from installing another version: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Do not include Drivers with Windows Update.
The policy may be in a sub-folder "Manage Updates offered from Windows Updates" after "Windows Update".

Yes I've read your post. But I've also grown tired of reverting back and forth between driver revisions trying to fix it, as no revision has ever really been without issues with this gpu. Switching to team green is no option atm. due to monetary constraints, but it's in the back of my mind.

Stupid that I've not tried this yet, but testing disabled Freesync in the drivers to corroborate if that also fixes my issues.
The EX2510 only has auto Freesync detection, it weirdly has not been given an OSD option to disable it and it still shows Freesync as on. I'll contact BenQ support on this and the drivers crash issue as well, maybe they have a non-released firmware update.

Been pondering this black screen issue since late 2020, that's when I got this BenQ EX2510 monitor. It might be a compatibility thing between various monitors, their Freesync implementation and the AMD driver. Making it hard for AMD to actually fix it. nVidia from what I've read, also now your account, seems more compatible with multi monitor from different types/brands.

Gkirmathal

Apologies for the bumping question, I have been contemplating the following question.

Are there any TPU users that have switched from Windows to Linux due to this driver issue? Do you run a DE running the Wayland compositor?
Has this switch to Linux and the Wayland cpositor been stable on a dual (multi) monitor setup, where one is a high refresh rate vrr monitor?

jb1

I have Windows 8.1 dual boot with Linux. I had a windows update today, turns out its my last one, went ahead and installed it, afterwards if I connect a monitor to either the hdmi or displayport of my laptop, screen goes black, windows crashes.
Works fine on linux

no special monitors or refresh, no gaming etc, i just use 4k tv so i have a big work area

Either the last Windows 8.1 altered my BIOS setting, or something. Had to go into BIOS, enable Display port and something else, still didnt work, had to reload dell driver, then go back and get intel hd driver and update amd driver, then after all that it worked again

System Name Om Namah Shivay
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900x
Motherboard Asrock X670E Steel Legend
Cooling NZXT Kraken X63
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2X16GB DDR5 6000MHz ( At stock JEDEC 4800 MHz)
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Fan AMD Radeon RX 6700XT
Storage 500 GB Crucial P5 Plus; 1TB Crucial P5 Plus; 1TB HDD: 2TB Adata S7 Blade; 1TB Crucial MX500;
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G4 25" (Primary); Samsung S19B150 (secondary display)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark V2
Power Supply ASUS Thor 850P 80 Plus Platinum
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 (Productivity); Razer Viper 8kHz (Secondary)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Can it run Crysis?
Adrenalin 22.11.2 hasn't worked for. In fact things have become worse as now even with one monitor the game stutters ( with sudden fps drops) when any video is running in the background (be it in VLC or in the browser). DOCP is disable btw.