• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD is Changing the Naming of the Strix Point APUs Series Again

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Merely two weeks ago, we published a story on AMD possibly preparing a new processor naming scheme for its ultraportable segment next-generation processors. Today, various trustful Chinese sources reported that AMD changed its mind again, that the Ryzen AI 100 series naming scheme was dropped, and now we should prepare for the Ryzen AI 300. If this turns out to be true, then AMD Strix Point will launch as Ryzen AI 9 HX 370 and Ryzen AI 9 365 (assuming AMD does not change the naming scheme again).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

ARF

Makes sense - they want to copy what intel does. AMD the clone. Intel 200 series CPUs, AMD 300 series CPUs. Very "innovative".
Still better than intel 14000 series vs. AMD 5000 series :laugh:

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Makes sense - they want to copy what intel does. AMD the clone. Intel 200 series CPUs, AMD 300 series CPUs. Very "innovative".
They were gonna go with "Steve," but the focus groups just didn't take to it. I mean really, it's all just marketing, and both companies use it to help sell their stuff. Kinda like the entire 14000 series line that's really just 13000.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Elite X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) Samsung G8 Oled with a secondary mini led monitor.
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
We are in the AI BS era smh everything must have AI in the name or it's trash can't wait for the RTX Uber garbage AI 9000 from Nvidia and the Radeon AI trash 10000

"Ryzen AI 9 HX 370" - Well damn, it's ridiculous.
I feel something is STILL missing. How about: "Ryzen AI 9 HX 370X3D"? :D

All this AI and marketing still cannot come up with something... copy Intel.
Here is something "original":
®AI-Zen5™ 77U

AMD Ryzen™ 7 8840U would be:
®AI-Zen4™ 38U
The number would the "Total Processor Performance: Up to 38 TOPS."
In the heterogeneous computing era TOPS is not a bad measure of performance; CPU+GPU+NPU.

We are in the AI BS era smh everything must have AI in the name or it's trash can't wait for the RTX Uber garbage AI 9000 from Nvidia and the Radeon AI trash 10000
Even motherboards will have AI in the name (recent Gigabyte Z870 naming leak).

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Elite X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) Samsung G8 Oled with a secondary mini led monitor.
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Even motherboards will have AI in the name (recent Gigabyte Z870 naming leak).

You know if it was legit aI and actually useful to a gaming or even mainstream PC sure but I don't need some AI chat bot or some other BS telling me how to use Chrome or windows especially when said chat bot is dumb as shite.....

Gaigabyte?
gAIgabyte

You know if it was legit aI and actually useful to a gaming or even mainstream PC sure but I don't need some AI chat bot or some other BS telling me how to use Chrome or windows especially when said chat bot is dumb as shite.....
I doubt it's anything more than naming. There's likely no (useful or useless) feature behind the name change.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Wonder if anyone has suggested they sit in a room for a few hours and come up with names for the next several generations.

Hope they read this; that advice is free.

Well, thanks to morons in the public that would just see that 200 > 100 and will go "hey Intel must be better". Who would buy a 100 series cpu when 200 series are available, right. Everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Now expect Intel to start Arrow Lake at 400!

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
AI, and it's 200 more now! :rockout:

Can someone change the naming of my salary as well, please?

ARF

"Ryzen AI 9 HX 370" - Well damn, it's ridiculous.
I feel something is STILL missing. How about: "Ryzen AI 9 HX 370X3D"? :D

All this AI and marketing still cannot come up with something... copy Intel.
Here is something "original":
®AI-Zen5™ 77U

AMD Ryzen™ 7 8840U would be:
®AI-Zen4™ 38U
The number would the "Total Processor Performance: Up to 38 TOPS."
In the heterogeneous computing era TOPS is not a bad measure of performance; CPU+GPU+NPU.

Wonder if anyone has suggested they sit in a room for a few hours and come up with names for the next several generations.

Hope they read this; that advice is free.

Well, thanks to morons in the public that would just see that 200 > 100 and will go "hey Intel must be better". Who would buy a 100 series cpu when 200 series are available, right. Everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Now expect Intel to start Arrow Lake at 400!

Then, the best would be a naming scheme around the cores / threads count, and the power consumption - in this way it is guaranteed that intel will always be the loser.
16-core: Ryzen AI 32X 170W
12-core: Ryzen AI 24X 120W
8-core: Ryzen AI 16X 95W
6-core: Ryzen AI 12X 65W

Mobile:
16-core: Ryzen AI 32UM 15W
etc.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Theri AI is just learning from the past. Intel 200 series chipsets, AMD 300 series chipsets. Innovative or not, it worked.

ARF

Theri AI is just learning from the past. Intel 200 series chipsets, AMD 300 series chipsets. Innovative or not, it worked.

I doubt that it worked. Products sell because they are fast and have features, not because of the name.
They can call it Ryzen AI Potato 1, and if it's fast and has low power consumption, it will sell like hot cakes.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I doubt that it worked. Products sell because they are fast and have features, not because of the name.
That's why I said "AI". It can't understand cause and effect but it sure does see correlation.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
From a marketing perspective, this is a good move. Most people still consider the bigger number, better.

PS I see you are in a naming contest.
How about the
Ryzen Over 9000 Ultra/Mx/Genx AI powered ripper.

They can call it Ryzen AI Potato 1, and if it's fast and has low power consumption, it will sell like hot cakes.
Most people buying PCs still buy by brand or numbers. Is it Intel? I trust it will be the best. Is it Nvidia? It's probably godlike. Does it has twice the (V)RAM than the other? It's probably twice as fast.
15 years ago I was using the same argument and I was expecting by now people to have enough information to buy stuff based on specs or reviews. But no matter the quantity and most times the accuracy of the information given, people today have LESS time to spent to search for such information and even less time to digest it.

I have a colleague at work with an old Dell laptop that incorporates both an NVMe and a SATA 2.5 option for storage. The laptop was equipped with a SATA HDD and of course it was slow as a snail at booting. I told her to go and buy a Samsung NVMe, I gave her the link to the product on the store's site and said to her "Go, buy it, bring it here, I will do a nice image and it will be so fast that you will think it's a new laptop, but with all you data and programs intact". Also updated the laptop's RAM from 4GB to 12GB.
She gone at the shop and the technician there, being a technician of course, told her that the NVMe SSD wasn't compatible and that her only option was a SATA SSD. She swallowed that wrong information because that guy was a "TECHNICIAN" and ended up with her HDD in a paper box and that new SATA SSD with Windows 10 fresh installed and her data and programs, like MS Office that she payed for it full price, no where to be seen. She payed more money for a SATA SSD and an unessasary fresh Windows 10 installation on it, than what that NVMe SSD would had costed her. And I was going to do the whole job for free. It was going to be just a fun project for me.
That's how people STILL function. If the TECHNICIAN or the SALES person tell's them that "300 is bigger than 200". they will swallow it in no time. And we are in 2024, where information is available everywhere.

People in the past didn't had the info. That was an acceptable excuse. People today have so much worthless info available at them, that they have forgotten how to think, how to search for the useful info. And that's unfortunate.

Last edited:

ARF

Most people buying PCs still buy by brand or numbers.

Before 2017 and the release of first generation Ryzen, only the most loyal AMD clients preferred Llano, Bulldozer. Intel's market share at that time was 99%.
Today, it is close to being the opposite. AMD sells 90% Ryzen 5000 series, while the remaining 10% buy whatever intel has on offer.

So, it is very far from being "brand loyalty". People buy based on the quality, and it's obvious that Ryzen today is the far superior choice.

In 2013 AMD launched the FX-9590, by far bigger numbers and more than intel's Core i7-4770K launched at the same time.
Guess what - which one sold better?

I have a colleague at work with an old Dell laptop that incorporates both an NVMe and a SATA 2.5 option for storage. The laptop was equipped with a SATA HDD and of course it was slow as a snail at booting. I told her to go and buy a Samsung NVMe, I gave her the link to the product on the store's site and said to her "Go, buy it, bring it here, I will do a nice image and it will be so fast that you will think it's a new laptop, but with all you data and programs intact". Also updated the laptop's RAM from 4GB to 12GB.
She gone at the shop and the technician there, being a technician of course, told her that the NVMe SSD wasn't compatible and that her only option was a SATA SSD. She swallowed that wrong information because that guy was a "TECHNICIAN" and ended up with her HDD in a paper box and that new SATA SSD with Windows 10 fresh installed and her data and programs, like MS Office that she payed for it full price, no where to be seen. She payed more money for a SATA SSD and an unessasary fresh Windows 10 installation on it, than what that NVMe SSD would had costed her. And I was going to do the whole job for free. It was going to be just a fun project for me.
That's how people STILL function. If the TECHNICIAN or the SALES person tell's them that "300 is bigger than 200". they will swallow it in no time. And we are in 2024, where information is available everywhere.

People in the past didn't had the info. That was an acceptable excuse. People today have so much worthless info available at them, that they have forgotten how to think, how to search for the useful info. And that's unfortunate.

Sorry, but this is your fault. Go buy it yourself, or order it online. Why did you force her to do it, when it was so risky?

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
Sorry, but this is your fault. Go buy it yourself, or order it online. Why did you force her to do it, when it was so risky?
It wasn't risky. She was suppose to go and buy it and leave. Not go ask the technicians. And no, I was going to do the work, not also lose half a day to go shopping. She is living in the center, close to that shop. I am living in the suburbs, I would had to lose 2 hours of my life.

Before 2017 and the release of first generation Ryzen, only the most loyal AMD clients preferred Llano, Bulldozer. Intel's market share at that time was 99%.
Today, it is close to being the opposite. AMD sells 90% Ryzen 5000 series, while the remaining 10% buy whatever intel has on offer.

So, it is very far from being "brand loyalty". People buy based on the quality, and it's obvious that Ryzen today is the far superior choice.

In 2013 AMD launched the FX-9590, by far bigger numbers and more than intel's Core i7-4770K launched at the same time.
Guess what - which one sold better?
Llano was a wasted opportunity. Bulldozer a disaster.

The DIY market, or retail if you prefer, is about 5-10% of the whole market. The rest is OEMs. Intel still outsells AMD. Mercury's numbers are probably very close to reality. Intel still holds 75% or more of the market. Meaning Intel's brand is still much stronger than AMD's. AMD had an advantage before Intel's hybrid chips. It was selling more cores at the same price range. Hybrid CPUs turned that advantage in favor of Intel. So, the average person will have to choose between a 6 core AMD and a "10" core Intel. Both the number of cores and Intel's brand are huge arguments for every sales person to direct the consumer to the Intel option. Not to mention that Dell still is the bigger brand and still promotes and sells probably 9 Intel systems, for every 1 AMD.

AMD launched the FX 9590 as a marketing attempt to convince consumers that it could also have premium and expensive products in the market. That it wasn't just the cheep choice, but also a premium choice. But, the price of that FX, the need for a motherboard that could handle 220W, the bad reputation of AMD and the fact that Intel had more success and control of OEMs and the market, was the reason that that FX failed. FX 9590 was in the market, had the bigger number, but was targeting a very limited audience. Even if some wealthy consumers where thinking that "bigger number at $1000, means faster CPU", they where probably 0.1% of the market to make any difference. In other words, pretty bad example.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF

ARF

It wasn't risky. She was suppose to go and buy it and leave. Not go ask the technicians. And no, I was going to do the work, not also lose half a day to go shopping. She is living in the center, close to that shop. I am living in the suburbs, I would had to lose 2 hours of my life.

You have the right to return the product without giving a reason to the shop. Return it buy an NVMe drive, but not samsung, because it is as bad :D

Audio Device(s) onboard
You have the right to return the product without giving a reason to the shop. Return it buy an NVMe drive, but not samsung, because it is as bad :D
They already installed it in the laptop and also installed Windows on it. I wasn't feeling in the mood to convince her to take it back and buy what I told her, or lose my day to go to the shop and start arguing with the technician. She decided to believe the TECHNICIAN, because he was a technician obviously, so she decided to only accept his opinion.
Helping someone to upgrade their laptop for free and having to clean up their mess, is not the same thing.
Anyway, you don't seem to want to understand my point, so let's move on with this topic.

They already installed it in the laptop and also installed Windows on it. I wasn't feeling in the mood to convince her to take it back and buy what I told her, or lose my day to go to the shop and start arguing with the technician. She decided to believe the TECHNICIAN, because he was a technician obviously, so she decided to only accept his opinion.
Helping someone to upgrade their laptop for free and having to clean up their mess, is not the same thing.
Anyway, you don't seem to want to understand my point, so let's move on with this topic.
I feel bad for you, more than I feel bad for your friend.
Anyway, let's hope AMD doesn't copy the misleading naming scheme of the core ultra, like the 6 core 155h and the dual core 165u

She was suppose to go and buy it and leave. Not go ask the technicians. And no, I was going to do the work, not also lose half a day to go shopping. She is living in the center, close to that shop. I am living in the suburbs, I would had to lose 2 hours of my life.
Now you should have a better understanding of typical women's way of thinking and behaving. ;)