• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Patents Variable Rate Shading Technique for Console, VR Performance Domination

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Low quality post by zenlaserman
System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
GCN is too old to be relevent these days. Not suited for gaming nor scientific computing. It needs to die.

I like how you think you know what's actually relevant and keep pissing and moaning about it. Well actually, I don't, I think you're a crybaby of a codger.

My humble opinion. Unlike you, I don't mistake my opinion for fact. As much as you generally cry, I think you're actually in diapers.

Oh, and BTW, GCN been running all my games and millions of console games for years just fine. Your mouth is a green donut.

It counts as a waste of money and resources...like xbone.
Why exactly?
It's mobile. It's a great upgrade from phones without the disadvantages of a normal console. And compared to something like Xbox One S or PS4, it's actually not a bad performer.

And as a gaming gadget at home? Imagine you don't want a TV and you don't own a monitor. Excellent. Imagine you don't live alone and you can't access the TV as frequent as you'd like - fantastic.

I don't like the game choice on Switch, but the hardware is great. It's precisely what I'd like the "streaming-focused" next-gen Xbox to look like. Fingers crossed.
I'd consider it a handheld like a GameBoy.
Does a laptop count as a PC? And what about tablets? :)

Nkd

Why exactly?
It's mobile. It's a great upgrade from phones without the disadvantages of a normal console. And compared to something like Xbox One S or PS4, it's actually not a bad performer.

And as a gaming gadget at home? Imagine you don't want a TV and you don't own a monitor. Excellent. Imagine you don't live alone and you can't access the TV as frequent as you'd like - fantastic.

I don't like the game choice on Switch, but the hardware is great. It's precisely what I'd like the "streaming-focused" next-gen Xbox to look like. Fingers crossed.

Does a laptop count as a PC? And what about tablets? :)

You are right its for select people. But as far as imagining not having a tv or monitor that's hard to do. Most people have them, that is one of the reasons Switch has its purpose but it won't destroy other consoles and game collection will be limited. No doubt its neat little gadget but its not for everyone.

System Name RED
Processor Intel Core i5 2500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 @1333 [Avexir]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Windforce 2X OC
Storage 1*Samsung 840 Series SSD 250GB, 2*Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDDs
Display(s) LG W1934S
Case Aerocool X-Warrior Red Devil Edition
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo 520W (80+ Bronze)
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator II Mouse
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Keyboard
Pascal series GPUs aside from GP100 cannot do 1:1 FP16. They use a dedicated Fp16 core and only 1:32 speed of Fp32. It's that fact that half precision is completely crippled on 10-series graphics cards. I also believe it is the same on Maxwell, and probably Kepler too. Pre-GCN4 parts also (I believe) cannot do it. (Might be wrong).
I believe Maxwell can actually promote FP16 ops to FP32 and effectively execute them at the same speed.
When it comes to Pascal, I believe FP16 is crippled to 1/64 FP32, NVIDIA somehow disabled FP16 to FP32 promotion, might be wrong, though.

I love how the 'step up to 4K' suddenly means we're accepting all sorts of actual visual degradation.

Hint: the reason we accept it, is because the pixel density is so high that we can't see the detail most of the time.

Conclusion: might just as well stick to 1080p at proper, actual detail settings as intended. No scaling problems, lower cost, higher FPS. Win Win Win in my book.

Actually most of the details added in games are useless and developers are often sloppy about performance vs quality. Much of the ultra settings in games these days are just an extravagant amount of details or perks that are meant to just simply tax the hardware to the limit without exactly netting much results that are justified. Think of how no matter how overpowered the hardware is we are still able to make benchmarks that can result in 100% utilization, so when game developers are designing games with this mindset then no matter what we do the hardware will always feel limited (Crysis anyone?).
I remember taking a gaming development class and another one for game modeling, and for example; one of the most essential best practices was minimizing the polygon count to get the job done, and long story short, you would be surprised how easy it is to do a sloppy job that takes up twice or 3 times the polygons. Basically by the end of that class we were able to model the same things but with atleast half the number of polygons. This concept extends further to much of the design process and not just the polygons. 2% extra details for a 20-30% performance impact is just sloppy work. Zelda breath of the wild is a perfect representation of what is possible with proper game design.

You are right its for select people. But as far as imagining not having a tv or monitor that's hard to do. Most people have them, that is one of the reasons Switch has its purpose but it won't destroy other consoles and game collection will be limited. No doubt its neat little gadget but its not for everyone.
Yeah, I can agree most people have TVs. But how many of them have space and are willing to place a console nearby? I know this was a big problem in my case. We had to buy a much bigger TV table because the Xbox I wanted.
Monitors are disappearing from most homes. We have to accept that.
Switch has its purpose but it won't destroy other consoles and game collection will be limited. No doubt its neat little gadget but its not for everyone.
Why would Switch "destroy" other consoles? Of course it's made for a particular customer. But if you think it's a small niche, you're greatly mistaken.
In 2018 Nintento sold 17 mln Switches. This means they've almost matched PS4 (18mln). They have 35% console market share.

In case you don't know, there are around 40 mln desktop graphics cards sold yearly. This means, for example, that Nintento Switch beat AMD Radeon (by a decent margin).

But more importantly: what's with that war terminology? Don't people know other words these days? What happened to "supersede", "supplant" or even "replace"? :)

Low quality post by sergionography
Yeah, I can agree most people have TVs. But how many of them have space and are willing to place a console nearby? I know this was a big problem in my case. We had to buy a much bigger TV table because the Xbox I wanted.

Why would Switch "destroy" other consoles? Of course it's made for a particular customer. But if you think it's a small niche, you're greatly mistaken.
In 2018 Nintento sold 17 mln Switches. This means they've almost matched PS4 (18mln). They have 35% console market share.

In case you don't know, there are around 40 mln desktop graphics cards sold yearly. This means, for example, that Nintento Switch beat AMD Radeon (by a decent margin).

But more importantly: what's with that war terminology? Don't people know other words these days? What happened to "supersede", "supplant" or even "replace"? :)
"Replace" "furthermore" with "supersede" or "supplant". :laugh::laugh:
FB_IMG_1551384220031.jpg

We have no other games that use it at this point. Why would they never use it? FP16 is a few % boost, ASync is a few percent boost, there is a number of features that only provide a small boost if used yet they are used regardless.

Can you find any benchmark where Anthem is tested on 2160p medium or low?
Googling gives me only this for now: https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-ga...-7700k-4-20ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz
17.5 at Ultra sounds about right but rest of the numbers are off.
Most reviews on different sites put RX580 average at 2160p Ultra around or just below 20 FPS. There is a noticeable performance boost from going from High to Medium. Xbox One X also has some slowdowns so it does not quite reach locked 30 FPS.

Literally the first video on youtube if you search for "rx580 4k anthem". It struggles to lock 30fps at low settings and a nice overclock.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
" in certain scenarios " - they still use that ?

Certain scenario for nV means sponsored game on already optimized system and with specific driver. Probably they add weather into the mix too. Running such a system in Siberia will definitely get more FPS than running it in a random home.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Actually most of the details added in games are useless and developers are often sloppy about performance vs quality. Much of the ultra settings in games these days are just an extravagant amount of details or perks that are meant to just simply tax the hardware to the limit without exactly netting much results that are justified. Think of how no matter how overpowered the hardware is we are still able to make benchmarks that can result in 100% utilization, so when game developers are designing games with this mindset then no matter what we do the hardware will always feel limited (Crysis anyone?).
I remember taking a gaming development class and another one for game modeling, and for example; one of the most essential best practices was minimizing the polygon count to get the job done, and long story short, you would be surprised how easy it is to do a sloppy job that takes up twice or 3 times the polygons. Basically by the end of that class we were able to model the same things but with atleast half the number of polygons. This concept extends further to much of the design process and not just the polygons. 2% extra details for a 20-30% performance impact is just sloppy work. Zelda breath of the wild is a perfect representation of what is possible with proper game design.

I don't think Crysis is the right example, but point taken and acknowledged, but that has no relation to my post really.

The visual degradation we see here is of another level:
> first we add loads of insignificant detail
> then we blur it up with temporal aa and resolution scaling, and now variable rate shading.
end result: noticeable dog poo.

Its a strange, strange world.

While developers have become more and more focused on actually taking advantage of the PC platform's performance - and particularly graphical technologies - advantages over consoles, the truth remains that games are being optimized for the lowest common denominator first.

Saw that years ago with audio ... with the coming of the CD, almost all recording were mastered with the boom box in mind. When played on an audiophile system, folks who never had a preamps with more than a volume and balance button where trying to find solutions to muffle the bottom and top ends. A large portion simply stopped listening.

Nkd

You have valid points but monitors are disappearing from most homes? Unless it has a number attached to it, it doesn't have much value. I doubt people are not buying monitors. Gamers and professionals do and there are plenty of them.

As far as switch selling 17 million, you have to take in to account ps4 it towards the end of its life span, so PS4 still sold more towards end of its life span then Nintendo. Nintendo does not have an overall 35% market share, common! Like I said it has its place and good for Nintendo but it won't be in the league of PlayStation. Rightly so, because its not geared towards that kind of gaming, Nintendo is happy with what they are doing and there is nothing wrong with that. No one is arguing switch is not a good product, but it shouldn't be compared to play stations.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
You have valid points but monitors are disappearing from most homes? Unless it has a number attached to it, it doesn't have much value. I doubt people are not buying monitors. Gamers and professionals do and there are plenty of them.

As far as switch selling 17 million, you have to take in to account ps4 it towards the end of its life span, so PS4 still sold more towards end of its life span then Nintendo. Nintendo does not have an overall 35% market share, common! Like I said it has its place and good for Nintendo but it won't be in the league of PlayStation. Rightly so, because its not geared towards that kind of gaming, Nintendo is happy with what they are doing and there is nothing wrong with that. No one is arguing switch is not a good product, but it shouldn't be compared to play stations.
My 9 year old nephew loves the Switch, as he loves gaming but his parents wants to watch TV more than occasionally.
I'm building a (light) gaming system with him, just to allow his parents to watch Dr Who.
As for any console...I still have my PS2, 158 million sold, Sony got something right back in 2000.