• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
I am happy to see AMD coming back with their GPU division. I am seriously considering the 6800XT, my first AMD card since my Fury X.

I enjoy raytracing when I am playing single player games, but when I play online, I just want high, stable FPS. I don't have time to look at all the shiny reflections, shadows, or other flare that comes along. Honestly, playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare and now Cold War, I really can't tell the difference with raytracing on vs off. I will say that DLSS has been a nice addition in the handful of games I own that support it. Most don't though.

I used to be one for jumping all in on Nvidia's new tech, 3D Vision, PhysX (I owned the BFG Tech standalone card before Nvidia converted PhysX into CUDA with their acquisition), G-Sync, SLI, Pixel Shader 3.0 vs 2.0 (Original FarCry), DirectX 10 on the 8 series, etc.... It is all just fluff and you used to pay through the nose for it. There are always the few games that are used to demonstrate the new shiny features, but really you do not see it catch on until years later. In the case of 3D Vision it sorta died on its own, the support was awful, SLI got the axe, G-Sync you don't need the proprietary module anymore to utilize it. I have owned several G-Sync panels and now have ASUS TUF panels that support both G-Sync and Freesync, works wonderful and doesn't have the $300-$400 mark up. Even those PhysX exclusive features... looking at you Alice, Batman Arkham Series, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Mafia, and Metro... are mostly fluff and didn't all that much to the immersion of the games. At the time it was nice, but not for the premium you had to pay to get it. All of these proprietary features go to the way side... and are dropped. Raytracing is nice when I take the time to notice it in single-player games, but I learned a long time ago and with quite a bit of money that the new shiny just isn't worth it initially. Kudos that both companies are picking it up and running with it, but it just isn't there yet.

I have never had issues really with either company. I have had Radeon's whose fans quit working and XFX have sent me just the cooler (My 4890 comes to mind and the R9 290X). I can't speak to the HDMI issues on the newer cards, but I never had a problem using them with DisplayPort. I have had Nvidia GPUs and Memory die on me.... MSI 9600GT, MSI and Zotac 570.... those wonder purple and green speckles scattered across the screen.

I know I am preaching to the choir.... but it really is a shame that people are so polarized by brand names..... companies who don't care about you and just want to turn a profit. Some of who don't even by enthusiast level hardware, just keyboard cowboys who have to thump their chest and wave the banner of their fanboyism..... it's really sad.

Just look at what features are important and matter to you, do your research, and buy that. Everyone's needs change over time. I know mine have. I used to be all AMD/ATi, then AMD/Nvidia, Intel/AMD, Intel/Nvidia, and now back to AMD/Nvidia currently. For 4 years I used my laptop as a desktop with the graphics amplifier, and people told me I was nuts. I liked the flexibility in gaming at home and then unhooking the graphics amplifier when I went to a LAN. I still use my Alienware for LANs.

I know it is hard to keep up with, but I really wish moderators would just clean up some of these threads, and not just here on TPU, but 3DGuru, YouTube, etc.... this is really asinine to see.

I don't mind objective based discussion and helping people understand things before making a purchase (I used to work at Microcenter), but the immediate flaming back and forth sucks.... I'd say almost half the comments on a given thread about GPUs or CPUs could be deleted.

I feel old, but I have been into this hobby for over 20 years now.... maybe I am just being senile in my old age.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I am happy to see AMD coming back with their GPU division. I am seriously considering the 6800XT, my first AMD card since my Fury X.

I enjoy raytracing when I am playing single player games, but when I play online, I just want high, stable FPS. I don't have time to look at all the shiny reflections, shadows, or other flare that comes along. Honestly, playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare and now Cold War, I really can't tell the difference with raytracing on vs off. I will say that DLSS has been a nice addition in the handful of games I own that support it. Most don't though.

I used to be one for jumping all in on Nvidia's new tech, 3D Vision, PhysX (I owned the BFG Tech standalone card before Nvidia converted PhysX into CUDA with their acquisition), G-Sync, SLI, Pixel Shader 3.0 vs 2.0 (Original FarCry), DirectX 10 on the 8 series, etc.... It is all just fluff and you used to pay through the nose for it. There are always the few games that are used to demonstrate the new shiny features, but really you do not see it catch on until years later. In the case of 3D Vision it sorta died on its own, the support was awful, SLI got the axe, G-Sync you don't need the proprietary module anymore to utilize it. I have owned several G-Sync panels and now have ASUS TUF panels that support both G-Sync and Freesync, works wonderful and doesn't have the $300-$400 mark up. Even those PhysX exclusive features... looking at you Alice, Batman Arkham Series, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Mafia, and Metro... are mostly fluff and didn't all that much to the immersion of the games. At the time it was nice, but not for the premium you had to pay to get it. All of these proprietary features go to the way side... and are dropped. Raytracing is nice when I take the time to notice it in single-player games, but I learned a long time ago and with quite a bit of money that the new shiny just isn't worth it initially. Kudos that both companies are picking it up and running with it, but it just isn't there yet.

I have never had issues really with either company. I have had Radeon's whose fans quit working and XFX have sent me just the cooler (My 4890 comes to mind and the R9 290X). I can't speak to the HDMI issues on the newer cards, but I never had a problem using them with DisplayPort. I have had Nvidia GPUs and Memory die on me.... MSI 9600GT, MSI and Zotac 570.... those wonder purple and green speckles scattered across the screen.

I know I am preaching to the choir.... but it really is a shame that people are so polarized by brand names..... companies who don't care about you and just want to turn a profit. Some of who don't even by enthusiast level hardware, just keyboard cowboys who have to thump their chest and wave the banner of their fanboyism..... it's really sad.

Just look at what features are important and matter to you, do your research, and buy that. Everyone's needs change over time. I know mine have. I used to be all AMD/ATi, then AMD/Nvidia, Intel/AMD, Intel/Nvidia, and now back to AMD/Nvidia currently. For 4 years I used my laptop as a desktop with the graphics amplifier, and people told me I was nuts. I liked the flexibility in gaming at home and then unhooking the graphics amplifier when I went to a LAN. I still use my Alienware for LANs.

I know it is hard to keep up with, but I really wish moderators would just clean up some of these threads, and not just here on TPU, but 3DGuru, YouTube, etc.... this is really asinine to see.

I don't mind objective based discussion and helping people understand things before making a purchase (I used to work at Microcenter), but the immediate flaming back and forth sucks.... I'd say almost half the comments on a given thread about GPUs or CPUs could be deleted.

I feel old, but I have been into this hobby for over 20 years now.... maybe I am just being senile in my old age.

Oh boy another former FuryX owner. You would know better to stay off that red hyper train.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Thank you AMD for not following nVidia off the deep end into 350W TDPs. I totally expected this Radeon to be 350W gaming.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Exactly, if the government says you should pay a tax on your tea, you should, and be grateful, for its the people in power we should all trust.

But back on topic, AMD has a product for less that does as well or better and this is the best you can muster? Political BS? Tribalism? No defensible position, just attempting to smear and troll? Give me a break.

Can you point me to a site to buy a 3080Ti? Or a 3080? (They are $1400 each on Amazon for 3080s and the Ti isn't available for months)

Low quality post by r9

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Somehow, I get the feeling that AMD fanboys are Trump supporters.
Attention everybody we have Antifa member in the house.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
This thread confirmed has been bombarded by trolls.
Clearly, DLSS is exclusive NV trademark, comparing RT performance (20 games? hello...) and somehow ignoring their pride about performance/power consumption/heat.
hello...

oh yes. winter is coming.

Last edited:
Low quality post by r9

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Exactly, if the government says you should pay a tax on your tea, you should, and be grateful, for its the people in power we should all trust, after all Bernie I mean Biden is going to cure cancer.....

And why shouldn't he, after 48 years in power, its the least he can do.

But back on topic, AMD has a product for less that does as well or better and this is the best you can muster? Political BS? Tribalism? No defensible position, just attempting to smear and troll? Give me a break.

Can you point me to a site to buy a 3080Ti? Or a 3080? (They are $1400 each on Amazon for 3080s and the Ti isn't available for months)

Cure cancer right after he defunds police, take our rights to defend ourselves and reduce the age of consent.

D

Deleted member 120557

Almost 100W less on average with that insane chunk of power hungry cache, confirmation that Samsung's node is utter crap, my God how the tables have turned. And all of that just so that Nvidia could save probably a couple of bucks per chip.
Why do you think cache is power hungry? One of the slides shows a cache hit is like 1/6 the power use of going out to memory and it has lower latency and higher bandwidth.

Samsung's 8nm node is a decent bit worse than TSMC's 7 but it's not that bad. Still better than TSMC's 12nm. Ampere seems to just be worse for current rasterized games. Those FP units aren't utilized fully. And Nvidia is pushing the clocks to their max, maybe they caught wind of AMD's performance.

SLK

This thread confirmed has been bombarded by trolls.
Clearly, DLSS is exclusive NV trademark, comparing RT performance (20 games? hello...) and somehow ignoring their pride about performance/power consumption/heat.
hello...

oh yes. winter is coming.

Performance (17 REVIEW SITES AVERAGE)

Power consumption/Heat? Go buy a GTX1650 for reduced power consumption and heat.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Doesn't look like Nvidia is in trouble

"NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today reported record revenue for the third quarter ended October 25, 2020, of $4.73 billion, up 57 percent from $3.01 billion a year earlier, and up 22 percent from $3.87 billion in the previous quarter. "

Mastakony

You are right about the stock, but I still see no reason to buy 6800XT over 3080.

For just $50 more, you will get :

1) Better RT
2) DLSS
3) More stable drivers.
for 10 games and if you lucky you play 3 or 4 of them......
What an argument...
If Nvidia fans ony have RTX and DLSS and drivers stability, that means they have....nothing.

The big question : Why NV fans take their precious time to come to talk on a .... AMD thread????

PRICELESS:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

System Name The Mini Nuke
Processor Intel i9-9900K at 4.9GHz -1AVX Vffset 1.27V
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi
Cooling NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory Model F4-4000C17Q-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 1 LG 27GL850-B and 2 ROG Swift PG278Q
Case NZXT - H700 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 - 1000W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I purchased an asus tuf 3080 but I’m super happy to see how competitive amd is. Now I see why nvidia had to drop their prices so much this generation. Competition is great and was sorely needed.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
Performance (17 REVIEW SITES AVERAGE)

sorry, I'm lost. I don't understand why you gave me that link.
care to elaborate?

:oops: :(
Power consumption/Heat? Go buy a GTX1650 for reduced power consumption and heat.

????
:nutkick:

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
The big question : Why NV fans take their precious time to come to talk on a .... AMD thread????

PRICELESS:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Idle mind is the devil's workshop.
I purchased an asus tuf 3080 but I’m super happy to see how competitive amd is. Now I see why nvidia had to drop their prices so much this generation. Competition is great and was sorely needed.
WHAT?!! Nvidia increased price during 2000 series and kept the same price for 3000 series. And before they increased the pricing, they obfuscated the market with 1000 series. How?
Nvidia said:
Well the msrp of our 1000 series card is X dollars. But that's just reference. We'll sell you our premium FE card that's actually X+50 dollars. If you want msrp card, check out our AIB partners, who will almost not release any card at msrp. Or actually sell at our FE pricing which is not msrp

Seriously Nvidia are masters at consumer perception manipulation. And objectively speaking, that's fucking impressive. Look at what people parrot now, "$500 3070 is bringing $1200 2080 Ti performance". Forgetting the fact that if the 2000-series prike hike didn't happen, 2080 Ti would've costed $800-900.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
This thread has gone to shit thanks to couple posters. Emotionally charged fanboying is one thing but, i'm seening outright shilling. You guys are way too aggressive and obvious.
People will be buying these gpus whether you like it or not, so chill off.

Last edited:
System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
Forgetting the fact that if the 2000-series prike hike didn't happen, 2080 Ti would've costed $800-900.

$750 MAX

Seriously Nvidia are masters at consumer perception manipulation. And objectively speaking, that's fucking impressive. Look at what people parrot now, "$500 3070 is bringing $1200 2080 Ti performance".

That made me laugh so hard......people talking about $500 3070 like it's the deal of the century, when the gtx 1070 started at $380 and was equal to the $700 GTX 980Ti.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
I don't know how politics somehow got inserted into the discussion and don't see how it has anything to do with it. If you can't keep your political bias out, please do not post otherwise you will be thread banned and assessed points.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
power consumption
Check the discussion in the forum comments of the non-xt review, you’ll understand

something must have gone wrong in some instances even the 6800 non xt beats the 6800 xt..
I thought i replied to you already? What you are seeing is cpu Limited in very specific games due to driver overhead, which bunches up results against an invisible wall, and randomly one will be better than the other, they really are equal in that test, look at the numbers not at the placement of the bar

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077 looks awesome in trailers. I can't wait to see it in full ray tracing glory.
Same here brother.
Cyberpunk 2077 is the only thing that has pushed me to upgrade this year. Sure, my trusty 1080 still does fine for most games I play at my resolution but I've been waiting almost 8-whole years for this game and you betcha that I wanna be able to play it at its highest visual fidelity when it comes out... if I can grab a 3070/80 by then which looks unlikely :peace:

On the topic of the new RX cards, I gotta say It's much better than I was expecting from AMD due to well... past disappointments with their high-end GPUs relative to NVIDIA's offerings. This year what they've brought forth looks a lot better even though the Ray Tracing performance shown here and in other reviews leaves something to be desired but I feel that just like they have done with Zen over the years, the 2nd generation of their RT accelerators is when they'll really start bringing the heat to NVIDIA's overall performance lead in both rasterized and ray-traced gaming alike, just like they did to Intel with their CPUs. I'm just glad that we're seeing so much competition nowadays :clap::clap:

Reactions: SLK
Check the discussion in the forum comments of the non-xt review, you’ll understand

I thought i replied to you already? What you are seeing is cpu Limited in very specific games due to driver overhead, which bunches up results against an invisible wall, and randomly one will be better than the other, they really are equal in that test, look at the numbers not at the placement of the bar
That makes no sense if it is CPU limited then again the 6800 xt should be faster or as fast as the 6800 non xt... same driver same "cpu limitation" or bottleneck same game same resolution just more cu units and higher frequency...

On top of that other reputable channels that benchmarked the gpu have different results e.g in Assassin Creed Odyssey you depict in 1080p the 6800 being faster than the 6800 xt and both of them slower than even the RTX 3070 if memory serves me right yet e.g in hardware unboxed in that particular game the rx 6800 xt beats even the RTX 3090!!!

and in general as I said before I think that its clear that RTX 3070 trades blows with the 2080 ti and its not a biased opinion like most big channels showcase that (and I can tell that from personal experience)

and you have the rtx 3070 being faster than even the 6800 xt.... yea sure there is something wrong I am not sure what that something is (methodology, specific bugs with specific games, your setup or maybe you simply did some typos when writing down the results dunno but there is something off here)
'
If I had to guess I would say that due to whatever issue your metrics in some games are off which leads to the "relative performance" score being negatively affected for the 6800 xt

case and point all these reputable channels showcasing that the rx 6800 xt trades blows even with the RTX 3090 while you showcase it as slower compared to even the RTX 3070 while having 2 FPS difference with the RX 6800 non xt

Nothing personal mr admin but something IS off... maybe you got a defective sample?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 190774

In Jan 3080 20 GB with more cores will come out and 6800XT will be really underpowered in 2 months. Also I am concerned that 6800XT can only match 3070 when RT is enabled.. what’s your take away from it ?
My take away from it is this; is it really a problem? Whether you buy anything from a 3060Ti to a 3090, or a 6800 to 6900XT, they're ALL pretty damn fast.

I won't be losing any sleep over $50 here, or 20% FPS difference there... Next year, then the year after there will be something faster again and I'll buy that.

If you think you're future-proofing at the moment by buying a 3080 - then you're probably mistaken as there are probably going to be some big leaps over the next few years and you can't be worrying about that. If you need an upgrade now, buy one. If you don't then do you just want to splash some cash - and if so, just buy whatever you want.

System Name The Mini Nuke
Processor Intel i9-9900K at 4.9GHz -1AVX Vffset 1.27V
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi
Cooling NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory Model F4-4000C17Q-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 1 LG 27GL850-B and 2 ROG Swift PG278Q
Case NZXT - H700 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 - 1000W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
That makes no sense if it is CPU limited then again the 6800 xt should be faster or as fast as the 6800 non xt... same driver same "cpu limitation" or bottleneck same game same resolution just more cu units and higher frequency...
I don’t think you quite understand what CPU Limited means. It means the CPU is holding the cards back so they’ll get to a certain FPS and can’t go any higher. 1080p resolution will be CPU bottlenecked with most modern GPUs so you need to look at 1440p and higher to see how the cards perform.
I thought of a good analog, it’s like lining up a 700 horsepower Ferrari against a 150 horsepower Honda but you limit both cars to 50 horsepower. Both are going to perform about the same with some variation with the driver (pun intended).
Hardware Unboxed doesn’t even test 1080p because all these modern GPUs are CPU bottlenecked at 1080p. Look at 1440p+ if you want to see a true GPUs performance to compare.
And don’t even bother comparing different sites benchmarks there are so many variables that influence performance it’s pointless.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Lol, $50 does not matter much at this price point. You might as well pay $50 more for a superior RT performance.
Yeah sorry but that $50 changes to $200 anywhere outside of US.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Yeah sorry but that $50 changes to $200 anywhere outside of US.

Can't actually buy a 6800XT right now so comparing regional prices is moot point.
I don't see any wrong buying either 6800XT or 3080 if they are available where you live, these 2 are so close and represent the best GPUs from Nvidia and AMD.

AMD has done the impossible here, I was thinking that the 128MB Infinity Cache might have some downfall in the frametimes department it is rock solid there.

Now the question is can AMD produce enough cards to satiate the starving gaming crowds :D. Seems like both AMD and Nvidia are both laughing all the way to the bank this season.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Yes, what you say is true. There is a little bit of randomness in all measurements. It's impossible to reproduce any measurement 100%. My AC test does have a relatively high variability, if I do 10 runs back to back, on the same card same system, there will be a few FPS difference every time. This is normal and just how things work. Of course I can roll the dice as often as I need to get the desired placement. Is that what you want?

I recommend you play a game and look at the FPS counter. Now move away, and move back to the same place. Do you see the exact same number?