• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reintroduces FX Brand for High-End Processors and Platforms at E3

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
Adding cores doesn't benefit the most of us. Quad-cores will do just fine there. What I wish is that Bulldozer increases the "clock to clock" performance. E.g. a quad-core Bulldozer at 3.2 GHz would beat a Phenom II quad-core at 3.2 GHz by 30%.

All new Gaming Evolved titles will support hexa-octos from AMD(they are optimized for it)

:pimp:

Cray XK6 - Accountable Flops with 500K "Interlagos" BD Cores: 50 PFlops
X2090 GPU - 20.47PFlops
Opetron 6200 - ????PFlops

Made it simple math

The answer you come up with

x1000000 (times)

/500000 (divide)

You then have GFlops per core

GFlops is 1:1 with Gips

It takes 2 modules from interlagos to perform as 1 zambezi module

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Gaming-Left-4-Dead-2,2433.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...ance-SiSoftware-Sandra-2010-Pro-ALU,2408.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...e-SiSoftware-Sandra-2010-Pro-GFLOPS,2409.html

Left 4 dead 2 is a bad example since it does everything by 2s

2 cores-4 cores-8 cores

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Cinebench-11.5-Multi-threaded,2407.html

I'll put cinebench in since it is a multi-threaded app that can do any number of threads

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Zambezi is ready and has been since March-April, if there was any delays it would have affected Llano as well but it seems Llano is going to release early and because of Llanos unexpected performance the launch of Zambezi is getting pushed back so they can maximize profits from Llano

That has absolutely no relevance because Llano isn't competing against Zambezi, they both cater to 2 completely different crowds. Saying Llano will cannibalize Zambezi's profits if they get Zambezi out at the same time is just...not smart.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That has absolutely no relevance because Llano isn't competing against Zambezi, they both cater to 2 completely different crowds. Saying Llano will cannibalize Zambezi's profits if they get Zambezi out at the same time is just...not smart.

It's about the amount of fab time they have. OEMs want the mobile chips, and Dirk got fired for not making mobile and netbook chips a priority, in January. How quick everyone forgets.

Bulldozer is ready; there was/is no delay. This has been a fact since they fired Dirk, that mobile chips come out first. If GloFo had more fabs, Desktop chips would be out too, but they don't, so AMD must wait.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's about the amount of fab time they have. OEMs want the mobile chips, and Dirk got fired for not making mobile and netbook chips a priority, in January. How quick everyone forgets.

Bulldozer is ready; there was/is no delay. This has been a fact since they fired Dirk, that mobile chips come out first. If GloFo had more fabs, Desktop chips would be out too, but they don't, so AMD must wait.

Agree,

And I can't remember where I read it, but the 'delay' is apparently a flip-flop. The server procs got pushed forward, the desktop procs got pushed back. High End desktops, while being close to my heart, are a very small portion of the chips that Intel & AMD sell.

Server procs are high profitability and mobile units have very high volume/demand in the current climate. If you can make Llano *or* Bulldozer and you already have a hard time meeting demand for Llano, I think the choice is clear.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Agree,

And I can't remember where I read it, but the 'delay' is apparently a flip-flop. The server procs got pushed forward, the desktop procs got pushed back. High End desktops, while being close to my heart, are a very small portion of the chips that Intel & AMD sell.

Server procs are high profitability and mobile units have very high volume/demand in the current climate. If you can make Llano *or* Bulldozer and you already have a hard time meeting demand for Llano, I think the choice is clear.

It is Llano -> Zambezi -> Interlagos

and amount of yield and production rates do not lead to the release date

Zambezi could actually have 3x the amount of Llano right now but it doesn't mean Zambezi is going to release earlier than Llano

:cry:

Llano is taking all Sempron -> Phenom II markets (80% of the Desktop market of AMD)

FX is taking Phenom II BE market and pushing farther into the Workstation (Desktop/Server) CPUs (20% of the Desktop market of AMD)<-- and dying

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Agree,

All previous release info I could find, that stated launch NOW, was prior to Dirk getting the boot. Once Dirk was out, new timelines had to be developed, people had to discuss with OEMs what they wanted, and product profitibility needed to be measured. This takes some time, and when it was done, AMD clammed right up about Bulldozer. I'll say around march.

But even so, Dirk's firing should have been a shot across the bow of any ship carrying Bulldozer towards launch. Thing is, since March, mobile and Fusion chips were being minted, and to me, right now, Bulldozer is taking it's place @ the fab.

This "delay" was a long time coming, and should have happened in like September. The board @ AMD waited for Dirk to make a move, and he didn't, so they turf'd him, and then set everything in motion, the way it should have been from day one.

So of course there are bulldozer chips floating around. But they've also been out in the wild for some time now, as far as I can tell.

Oh, and AMD, if you read this, please send me a chip or 3. Since I understood what was going on, I can haz cookie??? :laugh:

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
pointless

utterly pointless. same old crap from AMD, more cores for your money but they are slow as hell...oh and they are not as value priced as they used to be" Anyone tell AMD no games require a CPU with more then four cores and none will until 2013 at the earliest (new consoles).

the FX-4 needs to compete against the i5-2400. the FX-6 need to compete against the i5-2500 in real world benchmarks. Instead AMD needs an eight core CPU (that costs $70 more) just to compete against an intel i5-2500k in 1-2 pointless synthetic benchmarks. :shadedshu

Intel has the performance crown but AMD could at least say it had the value crown. With the new Intel SB CPU's, AMD has lost that and putting out CPU's that have little demand (eight cores) is a fast track to losing even more market share (not good for consumers).

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
utterly pointless. same old crap from AMD, more cores for your money but they are slow as hell...oh and they are not as value priced as they used to be" Anyone tell AMD no games require a CPU with more then four cores and none will until 2013 at the earliest (new consoles).

the FX-4 needs to compete against the i5-2400. the FX-6 need to compete against the i5-2500 in real world benchmarks. Instead AMD needs an eight core CPU (that costs $70 more) just to compete against an intel i5-2500k in 1-2 pointless synthetic benchmarks. :shadedshu

Intel has the performance crown but AMD could at least say it had the value crown. With the new Intel SB CPU's, AMD has lost that and putting out CPU's that have little demand (eight cores) is a fast track to losing even more market share (not good for consumers).

in 128bit mode @ same clocks (Any non-256bit AVX)
FX-4000 = i7 2600K

in 256bit mode @ same clocks (256 AVX)
FX-8000 = i7 2600K

FX-4K loses in 256bit mode because of the lack of 2 FPUs

FX-4 = 2 FPUs FX-8 = 4 FPUs
i7 2600k = 4 FPUs

So, for now AMD did a massive jump A HUGE MASSIVE jump they are now only 6 months behind once they release Bulldozer to consumers

Then you have to understand Zambezi goes to Komodo in the same month the next year

Last edited:
System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is Llano -> Zambezi -> Interlagos

and amount of yield and production rates do not lead to the release date

Zambezi could actually have 3x the amount of Llano right now but it doesn't mean Zambezi is going to release earlier than Llano

:cry:

Llano is taking all Sempron -> Phenom II markets (80% of the Desktop market of AMD)

FX is taking Phenom II BE market and pushing farther into the Workstation (Desktop/Server) CPUs (20% of the Desktop market of AMD)<-- and dying

I saw the server/desktop flip-flop bit here: http://semiaccurate.com/2011/06/02/bulldozer-delayed-and-not-delayed/

Big grain of salt (I'm usually better at filtering out Charlie's 'facts')

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival