• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reportedly Launching B550 Motherboards Come June 16th

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Not that bothered wrt PCIe 4.0; unless the upcoming consoles shake things up; can't see how; well maybe they'll have an impact on prices for PCIe Gen 4 SSDs; and when those are cheap I'll bother.
If you don't have a specific use case that's desperate for more storage throughput then you don't need it :)

I deal with a bunch of storage servers at work where PCIe lanes for storage are the limiting factor, but even in the enterprise space, storage throughput becomes meaningless beyond a certain point for many applications.

Even when scrubbing through GoPro 4K30 footage at home (and that is by far the most throughput-intensive job I do at home) I'm not hitting any storage bottlenecks using the secondary NVMe slot which limits my SSD to PCIe 3.0 x2. Obviosuly the poor old MX300 SATA drive I also have can't keep up with the average data rate of about 850MB/s but it's still close in terms of user experience. In blind testing I'm not sure I'd know which once was which, I'd have to see the same footage on both machines side-by-side to reliably identify it as running on SATA or NVMe.

Maybe if you work with 4K60 video at home you'd want faster storage, but other than that I'm struggling to think of other use cases where PCIe 3.0 is a bottleneck outside of enterprise storage servers. 95% of the time, SATA SSDs are waiting on some other bottleneck - and outside of copying files from one PCIe 4.0 storage to another identical one, you are probably in the market for Optane at the point which you require meaningfully faster storage than the NVMe drives, simply because it'll be controller IOPS and read latencies that limit you, not the peak bandwidth for huge sequential streaming.

Last edited: