• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reportedly Preparing Next Generation Steam Deck Processor

AMD is allegedly preparing an upgraded quad-core APU with Zen 4 and RDNA3 architectures for a next-generation Steam Deck device according to Moore's Law is Dead. The report claims that the chip is referred to as a "Van Gogh Successor" internally with a die size between 110 mm² and 150 mm² resulting in an increased production cost. The chip should feature 4 Zen 4 cores and 8 threads offering 25% - 35% higher performance per clock (PPC) with a maximum boost of 4 GHz. The RDNA3 graphics will include 8 Compute Units with significantly higher PPC compared to their RDNA2 counterparts which combined with the updated CPU could see a performance improvement up to 50%. These rumors have not been confirmed with any potential Steam Deck processor far from being announced or released anytime soon.

Video

[youtube=JN0ygfN0-go?t=1142]

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
This is where I will get onboard. I always thought that the first gen was amazing, but I worried about it's longer-term ability to keep up. This next gen chip answers those doubts, and would be a day-1 purchase.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
This is where I will get onboard. I always thought that the first gen was amazing, but I worried about it's longer-term ability to keep up. This next gen chip answers those doubts, and would be a day-1 purchase.
This chip is just too soon to SteamDeck 2. There is no point to make a SteamDeck 2 while they haven't fulfilled the preorders if the 1st model.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
This chip is just too soon to SteamDeck 2. There is no point to make a SteamDeck 2 while they haven't fulfilled the preorders if the 1st model.
You have a good point there, but other players are in this market, not just Valve.

D

Deleted member 185088

I think it makes total sense, just like laptops a new SteamDeck would cost the same with better hardware.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
That's not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. Valve was never a console player and they don't play on the "rules" like the rest. They are random and can do whatever they want at any given time. That's why I never liked them.

That's not Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. Valve was never a console player and they don't play on the "rules" like the rest. They are random and can do whatever they want at any given time. That's why I never liked them.
Your argument doesn't make any sens. If not for Valve we would have all our games on Microsoft store for 100e a piece. MS is on a buying spree and have to be stopped.

The main difference between console and Valve is valve do not have exclusivity right on the chip. They are the only one to use it, but anyone could bought it if they want to.

The thing is, how long AMD will continue to produce it? Does it make sense to continue to use it or they could just upgrade the next SteamDeck to a newer chip that is also shared with laptop/Chromebook or other portable gaming device.

Valve went to AMD and said, do you have a chip for our usage and they said, we have this chip that we designed for Microsoft and they just ditched us, want it? Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they did not invested money into having this chip tailored for their solutions.

They would probably have better cost (or AMD better margin) if they switch to a chip that is used on way more than just the steamdeck.

Your argument doesn't make any sens. If not for Valve we would have all our games on Microsoft store for 100e a piece. MS is on a buying spree and have to be stopped.

The MS Store is fine.

The issue with Valve has always been their hardware. Steam Machines? Interesting concept but crashed and burned. Steam Link? Was actually pretty good but then abandoned. Steam Controller, dead as well. Valve seems to come out with good ideas and then abandon them shortly after in the hopes that someone else picks them up and runs with it.

ixi

If they release this next year, then I can say: Wicked!

The issue with Valve has always been their hardware. Steam Machines? Interesting concept but crashed and burned. Steam Link? Was actually pretty good but then abandoned. Steam Controller, dead as well. Valve seems to come out with good ideas and then abandon them shortly after in the hopes that someone else picks them up and runs with it.
The hardware of Steam Machines was never done by Valve themselves as far as I know, they only did the software, and SteamOS still is updated. The Steam Link hardware became kinda irrelevant when phones and TVs started to be able to do the same thing, but the software still is supported, both in updates to the hardware and the app. Steam controller is also still supported software wise, it also sold decently and was produced for around 5 years, which is a decent run imo, and didn't the hardware have some legal issues?
The Index also exists, and is considered one of the best VR headsets.

Their hardware had for the most part what I would call a decent run, and their software support for that hardware is pretty good.

They're still designing the thing. I would expect it to take at least a year for it to end up in an actual product. By that time, a Steam Deck 2 would likely be on the table since the time between iterations of PC handhelds tends to be fairly short.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
And then we need the same thing for a switch 4K ;)

I also agree with konga, with the time lag for designing and releasing portable hardware, they absolutely need to pick something *now* so the cooling/power/design layout can be finalised ASAP, and zen4 APU's fit their requirements really well

It wouldn't be too unusual for Valve if they fast-tracked development and pushed straight for SD2 if it turned out convenient for them; after all, reservations combined with manufacturing delays were far outpacing their capability to meet all of them and they've been doing some minor beta-testing of alternate parts (mostly alternate fans and supposedly memory chips in order to ramp up production). It would also be similar to some Kickstarter/Indiegogo fundraisers, where later reserve holders got a free upgrade to an updated version after early mass-production defects were discovered and corrected, or original parts could not be attained further, thus alternate or upgraded parts were substituted instead while offering exchange or heavily discounted coupons to the extra early adopters.

In this case, early adopters got their units first, and could theoretically be given a discount towards the SD2, while those still in line could be given the option for a free upgrade to the SD2 version of their reservation; price locking it for them at the cost of the old one. All in exchange for giving up one's place in line to head back, but one of the first in line for the SD2 version of their original choice (Basic, Middle, and Top-end) at a much cheaper cost.

Now I'm not saying it will happen either, but after following some development/refinement on the fly from various successful fundraisers, it's one option Valve could do. Their main goal is to get SteamDecks into as many hands as possible, further helping to cement control over the game libraries since most will not attempt to hack Windows onto it, and instead just use Steam OS and buy whatever is on Steam that they enjoy. It's about getting even more people into their ecosystem and buying into it. So if financials look better for them to just move on to SD2 because the parts are ready, they could do so. Moreso as they're not as beholden to game studios as the legacy console makers; who use more proprietary hardware elements than the SteamDeck and have to give them more time to fully optimize for each console.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
It's slated for 2024, how is that too soon?
Yepp, that's the most obvious question :)
It's just that these types of decisions need to be taken years in advance.

I dont know if the steam deck will go through the normal upgrade cadence that consoles do (although I could be wrong). I consider the steam deck to be more of a laptop than a gaming console.

New version of laptops are released all the time, so I dont see why the steam deck could be that different. Maybe it wont be upgraded every year, but perhaps every couple years.

The only thing I am not sure is how much support will be needed to make everything work on a steam deck. Obviously valve has done a lot of work getting steam games to work on the deck. If they have to do all that work over again everything they release a new steam deck, then we may see a longer cadence similar to console releases. But if it is as simple as dropping in a new chip and adding a few features, then it could be interesting.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
You have a good point there, but other players are in this market, not just Valve.
Valve is trying to establish a new gaming platform, not make money on hardware.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Sounds good but I am not canceling my Steam Deck order.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
You need to remember that "AMD is preparing" is still several months before the official announcement, which is a few months before the actual product launch, which is several months before retail availability of those parts.

Renoir laptops were about 7-8 months from the official announcement to being a product you could get your hands on in the real world, so using that as an example this could be over a year away still.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I wonder if by the time I get mine if it will come with one of these chips. It is insane how popular these Steam decks are..

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
@Uskompuf I clicked a link that read "Zen 4 might be coming to Socket AM4" on the TPU home page and got the Steam Deck. Not sure if this is unique to me or if it is an issue for W1zzard, but thought you might want to know.

@Uskompuf I clicked a link that read "Zen 4 might be coming to Socket AM4" on the TPU home page and got the Steam Deck. Not sure if this is unique to me or if it is an issue for W1zzard, but thought you might want to know.
This. I dove straight into the discussion area, and in my half asleep mind, I somehow got the message that the AM4 socketed Steam Deck was getting a Zen4 upgrade. Time to set down the phone and sleep..

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
This. I dove straight into the discussion area, and in my half asleep mind, I somehow got the message that the AM4 socketed Steam Deck was getting a Zen4 upgrade. Time to set down the phone and sleep..
I must confess that I also thought that... Then my brain said "Hol up, Steam deck is not socketed..."