1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Responds to NVIDIA G-Sync with FreeSync

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    research? The research has been there for years.

Look up PSR [Panel Self Refresh] a far better tech that is both 2D, 3D complaint and power savings allowing the monitor to be unplugged.

The only thing Nvidia has done is try to leap frog standards. Who are Nvidias partners on G-Sync? None are panel producers. All are monitor sellers. It doesn't make sense to pay royalties to tech you have received only to replace it with another. I assume that's why G-Sync monitor cost +$200. They have to make up the cost for the parts they are removing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Wanton New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone seen any other demos about FreeSync than that wind turbine one?
    I mean that isn't very comparable to games where frames close to each other can have huge difference in rendering time.
    If FreeSync works by predicting and dynamically setting refresh interval and not by lets call it frame holding like G-Sync, you will get stutter in games for sure. Because you can't just predict frame rending time accurately. Maybe you can buffer some frames but then you get more latency.

Maybe VESA Direct Drive can help AMD to achieve something like G-Sync in the future. But I think that needs more hardware on display card side.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    ?

The G-Sync module is a add-on TCON that uses the DD

FreeSync uses the eDP TCON. Since its standard it won't need to be a add-on through DD or replace any others.

4. Wanton New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok but eDP is embedded display port. What about normal displays? There are probably some people who game on laptops but what about others?