• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Responds to NVIDIA's GPP: AIB Partners to Announce New Radeon-Exclusive Brands

Shouldn't Nvidia be worried if AMD dies though? If they become a true monopoly like Microsoft did, I believe Microsoft was hit hard in the late 90's by the USA government on fines for being a monopoly... can't remember exactly... but I do remember monopolies get punished hard... so it is in Nvidia's best interest AMD stay afloat...

Nah amd can't die, Intel won't let that to happen' And if intel really enters to discrete graphics card market, Nvidia has even less reasons to worry. But Intel still can't let amd to die.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Nah amd can't die, Intel won't let that to happen' And if intel really enters to discrete graphics card market, Nvidia has even less reasons to worry. But Intel still can't let amd to die.

Hmm, if AMD dies, Intel could still claim Qualcomm, Exynos as competitors, so why would it have to worry about monopoly charges, I still think Nvidia is the one who should worry if AMD dies.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Hmm, if AMD dies, Intel could still claim Qualcomm, Exynos as competitors, so why would it have to worry about monopoly charges, I still think Nvidia is the one who should worry if AMD dies.

Intel is rolling in the money from X86 mostly. If AMD would be gone, the only other license to design X86 will be in VIAs hand (if they still have it that is) as Transmeta had gone bust many moons ago. Also there is a Chinese holder trough VIA manufacturing stuff on 28nm. Currently on Atom SoC levels of performance... if at all.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Intel is rolling in the money from X86 mostly. If AMD would be gone, the only other license to design X86 will be in VIAs hand (if they still have it that is) as Transmeta had gone bust many moons ago. Also there is a Chinese holder trough VIA manufacturing stuff on 28nm. Currently on Atom SoC levels of performance... if at all.

Well hopefully they give us a Vega 2 with all this money that can match 2080 Ti... I really want to go back to AMD someday, but I need high performance... so :(

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Nah should be more like "Radeon RX: A Miner's Choice" They don't give 2 cents crap about gamers. The VR stuttering/down-clocking issue I reported 2 months ago is not even acknowledged in their release notes. Their GPU are not that great for gaming to begin with: hot, slow, power hungry. RTG brought this kinda GPP crap onto themselves. Don't blame your own failure on other company's technological superiority. If RTG had any decent GPU then the market will positively respond to it. I have been given my money exclusively to RTG for every generation of GPU since ATi 9700 days, and I can't even stand the way they operate now. Wake the F up, RTG, start by innovating and properly treat your customers who used their hard earnerd dollars to support you.
Truth to told AMD don't have miner specific[ABI relesed RX based Miner Card], but gamer friendly Nvidia have miner specific card.
https://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-1000/nvidia-p106-100
https://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-1000/nvidia-p106-090
https://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-1000/nvidia-p104-100
The reason AMD card do better in mining because AMD card have better compute power than Nvidia card.

Hot gpu, means those 84 degree Celcius Nividia card.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Shouldn't Nvidia be worried if AMD dies though? If they become a true monopoly like Microsoft did, I believe Microsoft was hit hard in the late 90's by the USA government on fines for being a monopoly... can't remember exactly... but I do remember monopolies get punished hard... so it is in Nvidia's best interest AMD stay afloat...
You still think it's a coincidence Nvidia pulled out of the console market exactly when AMD desperately needed a reprieve? ;)

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
This ^^^.

Plus it always seems to be easier to rush in and defend the "little guy" or the "brave revolution RTG" against big bad green nVidia.

Quoting AdoredTV's latest video, around 18:00. AMD's fan base is some of the most toxic fan base in hardware forum.
Intel and Nvidia fanboys/fangirls are so good and innocent that on every new AMD product review they leave negative comment [for poor people, cheap product, runs hot(even competitor runs 84°C), power hungry( even competitot sips more power), copycat, and many other excuses] even that product was porforming very well to its competitor.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Intel and Nvidia fanboys/fangirls are so good and innocent that on every new AMD product review they leave negative comment [for poor people, cheap product, runs hot(even competitor runs 84°C), power hungry( even competitot sips more power), copycat, and many other excuses] even that product was porforming very well to its competitor.

I'm not sure who keeps saying AMD compares to Nvidia in gaming for GPU, maybe in a few games, but every review I have seen of the 1080 or 1080 Ti, not only beats vega 64, it decimates it by 20-50 fps across the board... granted, I know my 1080 Ti cost $740 new... BUT to be fair, vega 64 at msrp never really existed so eh. I am actually fanboy of AMD because of the early age gaming on a budget builds I did as a teenager, but now I enjoy high refresh high rez gaming and I need a 1080 ti, it just enhances the immersion to me.

I hope Vega 2 and Ryzen 2 in 2019 can win me back over, I doubt it does, but I hope AMD can pull it off.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Well hopefully they give us a Vega 2 with all this money that can match 2080 Ti... I really want to go back to AMD someday, but I need high performance... so :(

I sincerely hope they are not planing to stick to compute optimized architecture on the gaming front, as it certainly didn't work in the past couple of years.

You just simply can't have "energy efficient" gaming cards that are also good in general computing and for machine / deep learning on top of that. Riding two horses with one arse is difficult enough, but riding 3 is outright impossible.

There is simply no reason waste a lot transistors, power and silicon. Having 25% of the chip sitting idle under gaming conditions is just a waste. I honestly hope they streamline GCN for gaming and have a separate professional line this time next year.

Adjusted for manufacturing if both were made on GloFo 14nm FF:

Polaris 10 - 232 mm2
GP106 - 184 mm2

That is around 26% less die area with some flawed math in the mix, so make it 20% for arguments sake. But that is still A LOT, while they are basically the same performance wise.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Wow did the Nvidia fanbois come out in force for this article.

I think its actually funny that AMD is doing this. Its like throwing mudpies at Nvidia.

AMD's word would have rung true if it weren't for their complete lack of effort to provide cards for gamers at MSRP, and their complete worship of miners, gamers just can't buy their GPUs at good prices so they flock to nvidia in droves. No one cares if AMD claims they will provide more cards and more choice for gamers because they know it's a lie. This whole reaction to GPP is just AMD being childish pricks, they claimed through HOCP that GPP will prevent partners from selling AMD cards, well that's not true. So their problem with GPP is?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
AMD's word would have rung true if it weren't for their complete lack of effort to provide cards for gamers at MSRP

As if it's by their choice.

If any one of you guys dont want Gfx cards prices to increase more and dont want to pay 5000$ for what worths 1000$, just dont buy an nVidia card nor MSI, ASSUZ not Gigabyte uttersh*t. no matter what, i rgeret buying anything related to nVidia and i will never buy any nvidia product even with AMD being she*t right now

to those who ask amd to make better cards. if you really want AMD to make better cards contribute and buy one of their products so they get support to spend more on devolopment. the development that will lead to better priced, better performing cards (unless Lisa Su screws things again as she did with 79xx series and let nvidia turn from a 4 billion company to a 124 billion right now)

Low quality post by MuhammedAbdo
As if it's by their choice.
IT IS, they practically blew the mining craze out of proportions with their enhanced mining drivers and mining propaganda.
to those who ask amd to make better cards. if you really want AMD to make better cards contribute and buy one of their products so they get support to spend more on devolopment. the development that will lead to better priced, better performing cards (unless Lisa Su screws things again as she did with 79xx series and let nvidia turn from a 4 billion company to a 124 billion right now)
LOL! you think that will help AMD make better products? If anything they will be content with making shit products because fools buy them no matter what. That kind of pathetic thinking hasn't helped a single mediocre company in the history of mankind. If anything it contributed to their faster demise. The only loser in this thinking is YOU. The idiot consumer who buys second rate hardware to satisfy an imaginary mythical morality meter. Your allegiance should be only to maximize your own benefit by buying the superior hardware.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

Intel still would have to worry, as there is a cross licensing deal in place between them and AMD. Intel owns the x86 patent sure. That's great, and gets them in the door. But AMD holds the patent to x64, and Intel is straight fucked if that patent goes to someone who wants to restrict access to it. It is in Intels best interest to have the status quo maintained in terms of that agreement. If for any reason their access to that license is even temporarily halted, Intel will start losing money hand over fist as they have to stop production while trying to sort it out.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Intel still would have to worry, as there is a cross licensing deal in place between them and AMD. Intel owns the x86 patent sure. That's great, and gets them in the door. But AMD holds the patent to x64, and Intel is straight fucked if that patent goes to someone who wants to restrict access to it. It is in Intels best interest to have the status quo maintained in terms of that agreement. If for any reason their access to that license is even temporarily halted, Intel will start losing money hand over fist as they have to stop production while trying to sort it out.
Patents expire after 20 years, so x86 is a non-issue here. The x86_64 patent only has a few years left.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
IT IS, they practically blew the mining craze out of proportions with their enhanced mining drivers and mining propaganda.

You are living in a realm of fantasy and conspiracy theories. Though I digress , judging from your comments seems like you are just trying to be a really obnoxious hater of a particular color , claiming malicious intent on their part out of pure speculation.

Licencing agreements are worth jack shit to Intel if you look into their past. The earliest dispute between them and AMD came from all the way back when Intel broke off under illegal terms the licensing agreements and contracts they had with AMD back when they were manufacturing chips for them . In a way the reason AMD is where they are today is because that essentially forced them to develop products on their own.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Xaled

LOL! you think that will help AMD make better products? If anything they will be content with making shit products because fools buy them no matter what. That kind of pathetic thinking hasn't helped a single mediocre company in the history of mankind. If anything it contributed to their faster demise. The only loser in this thinking is YOU. The idiot consumer who buys second rate hardware to satisfy an imaginary mythical morality meter. Your allegiance should be only to maximize your own benefit by buying the superior hardware.
Unfortunately fools like you kept buying nVidia products even when AMD had superior cards. because the dirty nvidia targets these fools who can defend it no matter what.
How can you call cards that cant even give you stable 120 fps at 1920x1080 superior? Look at games and how shottier they got after nvidia tool over the market. No game was able to gave graphics like Crysis or BFBC2 despite game went from 5gb to 50gb. nVidia screw the pc gaming market that cant compete with consoles. it always bribes game developers to let them bad code games so they get lower frames on their overpriced cards and even lower on AMD cards.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Just curious, but when did AMD have superior cards? Except for the GTX 480 (mid-range Fermi was pretty much ok), I have to go back to FX5000 to find better card from ATI/AMD. Otherwise they have been more or less on par.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low quality post by MuhammedAbdo
You are living in a realm of fantasy and conspiracy theories.
That's your best defense? AMD Releases special mining drivers, releases statements about ongoing development on mining drivers, releases PR statements that encourages mining, shows an appaling lack of any effort to support gamers buying gpus at MSRP whatsoever. What do you call of this? fantasy? No it's called AMD not giving a crap about gamers.
Unfortunately fools like you kept buying nVidia products even when AMD had superior cards. because the dirty nvidia targets these fools who can defend it no matter what.
Since DX10 AMD NEVER had a good single GPU product that competed with NV on pure performance, even at the time of HD5870, the GTX 480 was 15% faster. So no, AMD was always the second rate choice among gamers.
Look at games and how shottier they got after nvidia tool over the market. No game was able to gave graphics like Crysis or BFBC2 despite game went from 5gb to 50gb. nVidia screw the pc gaming market that cant compete with consoles. it always bribes game developers to let them bad code games so they get lower frames on their overpriced cards and even lower on AMD cards.
LOL, stop smoking bot please, PC gaming has gone to shit because of consoles not NVIDIA, if anything NVIDIA tries to inject advanced graphical effects into PC games and fools hate them for it! If you don't like them you can always turn them off.

Just curious, but when did AMD have superior cards? Except for the GTX 480 (mid-range Fermi was pretty much ok), I have to go back to FX5000 to find better card from ATI/AMD. Otherwise they have been more or less on par.
Superior for me means great performance if not overpriced. actually nvidia never had a superior card sinced all of their cards were either overpriced, overrated or both. AMD on the other had superior cards like 58xx or 6xxxs. 5870 and 5970 were the best single gpu cardin the market and 5870 were only for 400$ while nvidia utter shet has been a always overpriced and the price is just keeping increasing.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
No i mean a brean is needed to figure that smart peoples buy whatever fits their needs and budget not the brand ....
I believe smart people are not restricted with budget when buying GPUs.
There is something called "moral", google it, when you have time.

I believe Microsoft was hit hard in the late 90's by the USA government on fines for being a monopoly...
Microsoft was hit hard for leveraging it against others, e.g. Netscape, Sun, not for being a monopoly per se.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I believe smart people are not restricted with budget when buying GPUs.

A little confused on this. You can do your due diligence on a GPU but if you don't have enough money, you aren't gonna have that GPU. No matter your morals, no matter your brain.

I hope Intel soon does the same as I am frustrated by confused users sending me proposed 8700k builds with X370 MoBos cause they think X370 is a cheaper version of the Z370.

They have done something similar in the past and got sued big time for it and lost lol. This gpp is the same thing intel did but in disguise.
Now I do have to admit that the points you mention in Your post have plenty of truth to them, however; in my opinion this whole thing is not about Nvidia currently having the better product(which they do), and rather about what they are doing/willing to do when they have the upper hand. This is similar to when people say "I judge people based on how they treat animals", basically because a persons true intentions and inner self shows by how they treat others that are lesser than them(on a lower status etc.) or have less power.