• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Rumored to Introduce Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) Upscale Tech in Early 2022

Feel free to compare the aliasing between TAA and FSR in that RE:Village example you'd be surprised which looks like it does pretty much nothing in regard to aliasing and which cleans up pretty much most of it.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Image quality expected from FSR
1.png

Basically making a chandeliers appear as some obscure statue, maybe this will improve the horror factor of RE?

Conclusion for FSR review in RE Village (DSOGaming):
AMD FSR improved performance by 20fps on our NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080. Still, we don’t really recommend using it. It makes more sense to dial back some other settings than to use FSR (which brings a “vaseline” effect to the whole screen).

Last edited:
Reactions: ARF

ARF

There is nothing better than Native. I don't know why AMD even bothers. Just give up already and heavily market anti-DLSS statements.

There is no free lunch and the artificial intelligence won't help..

Anyway, DLSS is not AI, they just use the Tensor core to perform the upscaling by selecting the previous frame pixel to add back.

Also Anti Aliasing is not the same thing as upscaling. FSR require a form of AA anyway and work with TAA.

My main issue with DLSS is it's Nvidia exclusive. I mean even if AMD implemented Tensor Core, they wouldn't be allowed to run DLSS. I think that is against the PC philosophy. I am not a big fan of any Lock-in like that.

But that is just a matter of time before an open alternative will be available for everyone. The technique have huge potential and we are still at the early stage in that technology.

But I strongly think those technique will be moved to the game engine itself instead of being something that come from a third party feature.

Well if we exclude the marketing, DLSS 1.0 was actually Deep learning were they trained a neural network at 16k for each game. They trashed that because the final results was underwhelming to say the least.

Instead, they transformed it into a Tensor Accelerated Temporal Upscaling with DLSS 2.0. We could debate that the use of tensor core mean AI but in the way it's being used with DLSS, it's not in the modern sense of AI with machine learning and stuff.

There are AI imagine upscaling around, it's just not fast enough to be able to be used in a real time rendering pipeline to improve framerate. The tradeoff they made with DLSS 1.0 was just not good enough. They kept the name for the version 2.0 but it's not really AI.

But it would be a very bad marketing move for Nvidia to admit it and rename it Nvidia temporal upscaling. AI is still the trend like Nanotechnology was the trend last decade...

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Anyway, DLSS is not AI, they just use the Tensor core to perform the upscaling by selecting the previous frame pixel to add back.

Also Anti Aliasing is not the same thing as upscaling. FSR require a form of AA anyway and work with TAA.

My main issue with DLSS is it's Nvidia exclusive. I mean even if AMD implemented Tensor Core, they wouldn't be allowed to run DLSS. I think that is against the PC philosophy. I am not a big fan of any Lock-in like that.

But that is just a matter of time before an open alternative will be available for everyone. The technique have huge potential and we are still at the early stage in that technology.

But I strongly think those technique will be moved to the game engine itself instead of being something that come from a third party feature.

Meh I would rather DLSS stay propriety than playing online against tensor accelerated cheaters (client-side aimbots, position reveal cheat, etc...).
If other GPU vendors don't have DLSS alternative, well they can lower their prices and not use rasterization as the sole performance indicator.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Last edited:
Meh I would rather DLSS stay propriety than playing online against tensor accelerated cheaters (client-side aimbots, position reveal cheat, etc...).
If other GPU vendors don't have DLSS alternative, well they can lower their prices and not use rasterization as the sole performance indicator.
The fact that DLSS is proprietary have nothing to do with Tensor accelerated cheaters. They can still happen because Nvidia publish those API anyway via accelerated workload.

Others vendors will eventually have alternative. But then, we will have to wait few years until the Open one win the market like it always happen. After that, DLSS will just be another PhysX, Glide, Mantle.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
The fact that DLSS is proprietary have nothing to do with Tensor accelerated cheaters. They can still happen because Nvidia publish those API anyway via accelerated workload.

Others vendors will eventually have alternative. But then, we will have to wait few years until the Open one win the market like it always happen. After that, DLSS will just be another PhysX, Glide, Mantle.

Since DLSS is accepted in online competitive games like Warzone, BF2042, Naraka, etc...it's best that it stays propriety

Yeah let just stop playing games for a few years and hope for DLSS to die out, how is that a plan LMAO.

Not sure how "the Open one win the market like it always happen", how is Linux vs Window marketshare going? are you gaming on Linux? I'm definitely not.

Why should anyone care about propriety vs open source nonsense, just use what is best at the moment and upgrade when better stuff comes out. If DLSS is gone in the future, it would be because there are better Deep Learning upscaler around (definitely not some spatial upscaler :rolleyes: ), and not because of its propriety-ness.

Last edited:
Since DLSS is accepted in online competitive games like Warzone, BF2042, Naraka, etc...it's best that it stays propriety

Yeah let just stop playing games for a few years and hope for DLSS to die out, how is that a plan LMAO.

Not sure how "the Open one win the market like it always happen", how is Linux vs Window marketshare going? are you gaming on Linux? I'm definitely not.

Why should anyone care about propriety vs open source nonsense, just use what is best at the moment and upgrade when better stuff comes out. If DLSS is gone in the future, it would be because there are better Deep Learning upscaler around (definitely not some spatial upscaler :rolleyes: ), and not because of its propriety-ness.
DLSS have nothing to do with AI Cheat. Nothing. the fact it open or closed have noting to do. They could just run that on any other AI accelerator without DLSS. There is no need at all of DLSS into that...

I still do not see your point at all and you seem to make correlation that do not exist.

And i talk about open standard, not open source. You can install Windows on any hardware that support it.

Also there is no need for a better product, just one that is supported by more hardware. Intel one by example will run on any recent GPU including console if people want to port it there. Unless Nvidia specifically paid to have DLSS into their game, Game dev will have very few reason to not use the one that is supported on all platform.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
DLSS have nothing to do with AI Cheat. Nothing. the fact it open or closed have noting to do. They could just run that on any other AI accelerator without DLSS. There is no need at all of DLSS into that...

I still do not see your point at all and you seem to make correlation that do not exist.

And i talk about open standard, not open source. You can install Windows on any hardware that support it.

Also there is no need for a better product, just one that is supported by more hardware. Intel one by example will run on any recent GPU including console if people want to port it there. Unless Nvidia specifically paid to have DLSS into their game, Game dev will have very few reason to not use the one that is supported on all platform.

Cheater could use modified DLSS that can remove all static components in game, leaving only other players visible, so it's visibility cheat.

Heh, one useless upscaler like FSR being support by every hardware is still pretty useless, especially when even bicubic upscaling is better :rolleyes: . Well let hope that Intel XeSS can provide some competition and not run like crap on every GPU beside Intel's.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Also there is no need for a better product, just one that is supported by more hardware.
I suppose that's fine as an opinion, but my opinion would be bring on the better product. Push the industry and innovation forwards, after time these things will trickle down and competitors will copy or support it anyway, I'm all for bleeding edge. So when you speak of no need, speak for yourself.

Cheater could use modified DLSS that can remove all static components in game, leaving only other players visible, so it's visibility cheat.

Heh, one useless upscaler like FSR being support by every hardware is still pretty useless, especially when even bicubic upscaling is better :rolleyes: . Well let hope that Intel XeSS can provide some competition and not run like crap on every GPU beside Intel's.
They could, but there is no need for DLSS to do that...

As for FSR being worst than Bicubic, lol, I think you being a bit too much Nvidia fan boy there.
I suppose that's fine as an opinion, but my opinion would be bring on the better product. Push the industry and innovation forwards, after time these things will trickle down and competitors will copy or support it anyway, I'm all for bleeding edge. So when you speak of no need, speak for yourself.
I think you are missing the point, I do not mean that we no longer need any innovation for upscaler. I mean a similar level of performance and feature from an standard solutions would be enough to kill DLSS over time.

The technology will continue to evolve no matter what and i am not against that at all. On the contrary. But i am not really in for closed solution on PC no matter from who it come.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I think you are missing the point
Sure, perhaps only because of the way what I quoted was phrased however.

And yeah, I don't see DLSS being the premier reconstruction technique in 10 years time either, but I am glad that it exists in its current, past and perhaps future states to push this arm of technology forward.

System Name Home brew
Processor Intel i7 8700k 4.5g
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix Z370 H
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 S/LG window air conditioner
Memory G Skill Ripjaws V ddr 4 3200 32 gb.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage WD 240gb 3D nand SSD/WD 1tb 3D nand SSD
Display(s) Acer XF240 H 144hz Freesync
Case Rosewill Viper Z mid tower
Audio Device(s) Motherboard/EV 740 2 way & pwrd woofer/Logitech wireless headset #?
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard Havit KB390L
Software Windows 10
Great their adding features, maybe by the time cards available for less than a kidney the gamers could see how they feel about it.
Yup. There was a 16 yr. old kid who gave up his right arm for a pair of Air Jordans. More to this story, he rob the seller at gun point. Who caught up to him and ran him over in a car. Could you imagine hearing, "Ten years ago, I gave up my right eye for a G Force 780 with RGB lights"? Lol!