• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX 6800 RT cores defective or PSU problem?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros Elite AX V2
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE White
Memory TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon Rx 6800
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
Power Supply Corsair RM750x SHIFT
He's not wrong, you are. But you've already made it clear you have no intention of replacing your power supply, which means you should sell your RX 6800 to someone who can actually use it and install something more appropriate, like an RX 6400 or a GT 1030. I'm outta here.

It literally IS the problem. Take the time to understand what a load line is and what are the effects of transient spikes, ripple, etc. and you'll quickly understand that PSU is actually hazardous to your system.
No I haven't made it clear I won't be replacing the PSU obviously you have reading comprehension as I stated I am planning to that in the op, I'm not some kid who threw together his first pc so honestly, see yourself out of the thread cause your coming off as arrogant now, thanks for the input, I'll. Disregard that and anything else you have to say, take your attitude elsewhere

Ok
You are welcome to bash your head against a brick wall when presented with an obvious solution, sure. You came with an issue seeking advice. In the very first posts you were advised sourcing a better PSU, if even temporarily, and testing with that. You decided that you don’t like this option. But you not liking it won’t change the fact that it IS the most obvious and effective solution that can be provided given the information you gave.
But suit yourself.
Thank you, off you go as well, was nice, let's do it again sometime

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
When you say crash what does that mean, driver timeout, blue screen, black screen, restart, shutdown ?

Insufficient power/bad PSU will almost always manifest itself in the form of hard shutdowns. It's really easy to rule this out, a crappy PSU wont give you a driver timeout or bsod, it will instantly crash the system = shutdown.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
So I bought a 6800 used from eBay in November, it works fine in raster but will crash in most games when I enable ray tracing, is it possible the ray tracing cores are defective?
My PSU is not up to scratch for this GPU it is an EVGA 600 W1 80+ which I knew at the time was likely not going to be good enough to handle the transients of the 6800 though thought with an underclock and undervolt it would be fine, but it never crashes when I am gaming using just rasterization, only when RT is enabled, games that exhibit this behaviour include but are not limited to fortnite, Doom eternal, call of duty MW, and some others, ray tracing will work in the odd game without crashing though they are few and far between and I can't remember off the top of my head which ones, maybe resident evil 4 remake? ressident evil 7 also crashes when RT is enabled. I have tried different drivers to no avail.

So crashes are exhibited only when RT is enabled but not in all games where RT is enabled? If you are thinking that there's some defective cores on the GPU (in this case perhaps RT accelerators), the behavior would need to be consistent across all games with RT enabled. That it isn't suggests the issue lay elsewhere.

You seem to already be aware that your PSU is a potential culprit. Aside from rectifying that potential issue, you can try stress testing your GPU via furmark, reslotting the GPU, reseating the power connectors (and make sure you are not daisy chaining multiple connectors from the same cable), trying the GPU in a different slot, swapping the monitor cable and port (could be the esoteric pin 20 issue). I assume you did a clean driver install but if not that's a definite thing to check off the list.

Also, have you ever tested your CPU / Memory? I know in a lot of cases the only demanding applications people tend to use are games which means they often only find out about computer issues in games and automatically assume it's the GPU when in reality they've just never bothered to stress their system before to ensure stability. Ray Tracing just so happens to put more strain not only on the GPU but also the CPU and it could be simply bringing out instability in those components. Checking the CPU / memory is something I would check after ticking off the GPU troubleshooting tips above first though as it's less likely.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Furmark is not a good stress test anymore, just load something like fortnite with max settings and an unlocked framerate, switch between RT on and off, we're overcomplicating this to a nonsensical degree.

If your PSU really is the issue it should crash either way and by crash I don't mean driver timeout/bsod, those things are not indicative at all of a PSU issue. I have a 7000 series AMD card, it draws the same amount of power whether or not RT is enabled. If anything RT on should put less stress on the PSU not more, lower framerate = longer time delta in between transient spikes.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Furmark is not a good stress test anymore, just load something like fortnite with max settings and an unlocked framerate, switch between RT on and off, we're overcomplicating this to a nonsensical degree.

Both Northwestrepair and Northbridgefix's (the two most prominent repair shops that publish GPU repair videos) use furmark because it pushes the shader cores hard without running into a CPU bottleneck. You could certainly get a better assessment of system stability by testing with additional software (same as any stress testing) but to say it's not good at stress testing is categorically incorrect.

Fortnite is a CPU / Memory bound game meaning there are many scenarios in which it won't be in fact stressing the GPU. Enabling RT will utilize the RT accelerators on AMD cards but it won't suddenly drastically increase the rasterization load that would be needed to fully stress a card.

OP should use a more demanding game or stress test before fortnite, something that isn't CPU / Memory bound like fortnite is.

If your PSU really is the issue it should crash either way and by crash I don't mean driver timeout/bsod, those things are not indicative at all of a PSU issue.

For the most part yes but do note that a failing power supply can manefest in several different ways. I've repaired systems wherein a failing power supply resulted in very poor performance when entering 3D clocks but was completely fine under 2D clocks. It didn't crash the system either.

I have a 7000 series AMD card, it draws the same amount of power whether or not RT is enabled. If anything RT on should put less stress on the PSU not more, lower framerate = longer time delta in between transient spikes.

What you are describing is a bottleneck in your system or application. If a GPU is using RT cores in one instance and not in another, the additional utilization should cause an increase in power consumption assuming RT isn't introducing a bottleneck. That your system is using less indicates an obvious bottleneck. Here's TPU's 4090 chart comparing RT on vs Off power consumption:

1706652728078.png

In a non-bottlenecked scenario RT on will increase power consumption and the associated transients that come with that.

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
6800XT DOES have spikes that are big enough to knock out power supplies. I had one.

An EVGA 850w Gold rated unit couldn't keep up and if that doesn't tell you anything then I don't know if you're listening. Get a quality unit (Enermax DF, Corsair RMx/HX, etc)

RDNA2/3 have horrid spikes. This is nothing new. Your current unit is not quality.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Fortnite is a CPU / Memory bound game
It's a heavily GPU bound game with all the settings maxed out, just play the game and convince yourself of this if you don't believe. It's a perfect game for OP's issue because it's heavy on raster and you can turn on both software and hardware RT.

Here's TPU's 4090 chart comparing RT on vs Off power consumption:
You don't understand how this works and you also picked a terrible card to prove your point because using a 4090 in raster is going to almost certainly cause a CPU bound situation, when RT is enabled of course it will use more power, most Nvidia GPUs use less power when RT is on not more.

1706655234714.png
1706655246025.png

Notice how the 4090 is the only card that's using more power, the rest all use less and with AMD cards it's basically identical. I am 100% correct on my claim that there should be no real difference in OPs case as far as power consumption is concerned, that's why I am adamant this isn't a PSU issue, if it was the system would always crash no matter what.

6800XT DOES have spikes that are big enough to knock out power supplies. I had one.

An EVGA 850w Gold rated unit couldn't keep up and if that doesn't tell you anything then I don't know if you're listening.
This is a 6800 non XT. But what you are saying is not possible, for transient spikes to be a problem they must exceed what the PSU can supply on the 12V rail, meaning your card had 850W+ spikes ? No way, the 6900XT had 600W spikes and that was by far the worst of the bunch, OPs card probably barely hits 350W. Your unit was just bad, it wasn't a transient spike issue.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
However, the OP has an RX 6800 non-XT. This one is way less cruel on PSUs.

But I agree, such a low quality unit must not be enough for this card.
Here's TPU's 4090 chart comparing RT on vs Off power consumption:

1706652728078.png
AMD GPUs operate differently. Lemme show you.

1706655436755.png
1706655490259.png
1706655549771.png

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
It's a heavily GPU bound game with all the settings maxed out, just play the game and convince yourself of this if you don't believe. It's a perfect game for OP's issue because it's heavy on raster and you can turn on both software and hardware RT.

You don't understand how this works and you also picked a terrible card to prove your point because using a 4090 in raster is going to almost certainly cause a CPU bound situation, when RT is enabled of course it will use more power, most Nvidia GPUs use less power when RT is on not more.

View attachment 332227View attachment 332228

Notice how the 4090 is the only card that's using more power, the rest all use less and with AMD cards it's basically identical. I am 100% correct on my claim that there should be no real difference in OPs case as far as power consumption is concerned, that's why I am adamant this isn't a PSU issue, if it was the system would always crash no matter what.

This is a 6800 non XT. But what you are saying is not possible, for transient spikes to be a problem they must exceed what the PSU can supply on the 12V rail, meaning your card had 850W+ spikes ? No way, the 6900XT had 600W spikes and that was by far the worst of the bunch, OPs card probably barely hits 350W. Your unit was just bad, it wasn't a transient spike issue.
However, the OP has an RX 6800 non-XT. This one is way less cruel on PSUs.

But I agree, such a low quality unit must not be enough for this card.

AMD GPUs operate differently. Lemme show you.

I missed the non-XT part, but point still half stands with the 6800. (I had one of those too)

Spike does not have to go over what the power supply is rated. I've mentioned in other threads that my 1300w could not keep up with my XTX where my better built 850w can. Quality>quantity.

Don't know why people keep arguing when I've had multiple RDNA cards and literally tested them myself, where the data lines up with other people in the world.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Spike does not have to go over what the power supply is rated.
They have to if that was in fact the issue. That's why this was a problem, spikes would go over what the PSU was rated on the 12V rail and it would trigger over current protection.

Don't know why people keep arguing
Because people mix things up, you seem to think that every PSU issue = spikes where the problem. But that's just not true, if you had a 1300W unit that would fail it wasn't because of the spikes, it's just not possible for that to have been the case, it probably just had an overzealous/defective OCP protection circuit. How else would a 1300W unit be unable to handle spikes that aren't even half of what it is rated for, even if it was straight up junk that would be really unlikely to happen.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
They have to if that was in fact the issue. That's why this was a problem, spikes would go over what the PSU was rated on the 12V rail and it would trigger over current protection.

Because people mix things up, you seem to think that every PSU issue = spikes where the problem. But that's just not true, if you had a 1300W unit that would fail it wasn't because of the spikes, it's just not possible for that to have been the case, it probably just had an overzealous/defective OCP protection circuit. How else would a 1300W unit be unable to handle 600W spikes, even if it was straight up junk that would be really unlikely to happen.
Or the power supply trips on those spikes which sure, the OCP could be tripping but this isn't the case on better built units. With OP's issue it's most likely junk unit giving junk power however there is no harm in getting a quality unit in case they want to upgrade down the road.

With plenty of data out there where many low end units, and some decent ones still not able to hold up.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
No I haven't made it clear I won't be replacing the PSU obviously you have reading comprehension as I stated I am planning to that in the op, I'm not some kid who threw together his first pc so honestly, see yourself out of the thread cause your coming off as arrogant now, thanks for the input, I'll. Disregard that and anything else you have to say, take your attitude elsewhere

Ok

Thank you, off you go as well, was nice, let's do it again sometime

I always love having a spare, good working PSU for troubleshooting. I know it sounds like a waste of money, but it is something I would strongly recommend to everyone to have a backup PSU. And not just some piddly piece of crap one, but one that can easily power your system.

About 8 months back there was a massive power outage in my neighborhood. Huge explosion and the power was out for a good square mile radius or more. One of my systems wouldn't power back on. Lots of troubleshooting and then I eventually tested my spare, good PSU and things turned back on. I've since picked up another spare PSU to have for backup. Before this issue, some years back I had a MB die on me. Extensive testing with multiple PSUs allowed me to confirm the MB was indeed dead.

I would suggest you don't be so condescending to those that suggest a PSU issue. You came here asking for help, they're suggesting what they strongly believe to be the issue. If you wish to disagree with them, that's one thing, but how you've worded your reply is childish.

Here's what I would do in your situation if I thought it wasn't the PSU.

1) Clean install of the GPU drivers.
2) Try the two previous WHQL drivers for your GPU if a clean install of the most recent one doesn't fix the issue.
3) Test the GPU in another system if you can - if you are unable, move on to step 4
4) If trying multiple drivers doesn't work and/or testing the GPU in another system. I'd now suggest doing a clean install of Windows (be sure to backup any important data first) or if you have a spare drive you could do a clean install on, that would work just as well. Sometimes Windows just sucks because MS breaks things with the awful updates that get pushed out.
5) If things still are not resolved at this point, then I would be left with one of two things:
a) GPU is faulty
b) PSU is faulty
- If I got this point I'd try a new, quality PSU first because if I need to buy a part a quality PSU is going to be 1-2 hundred dollars cheaper than a comparable GPU to the 6800. In the end, if the PSU isn't the problem, at least you have a spare PSU for troubleshooting/testing should the need ever arise.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
a crappy PSU wont give you a driver timeout or bsod
Why did my junkyard PC have no instability whatsoever with a proper PSU and often crashed with driver errors in games if was fueled by a faulty PSU?
RT on should put less stress on the PSU not more
Not always. RT is also a CPU-intensive task so if you max your GPU out either way you could get more load overall with RT on thanks to more intensely loaded CPU.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Notice how the 4090 is the only card that's using more power, the rest all use less and with AMD cards it's basically identical. I am 100% correct on my claim that there should be no real difference in OPs case as far as power consumption is concerned, that's why I am adamant this isn't a PSU issue

You are correct that most GPUs don't consume more power with RT enabled. That said I don't see how you can eliminate the PSU merely based on the fact that his card happens to not use more power with RT enabled. You don't know the settings he's using in games he plays and by extension GPU load those games are placing on his system. In addition, transients exceeding total PSU wattage don't have to be the source of any potential PSU issue if that is considered a potential root cause. It could just be poor voltage regulation or a defective unit which you recognize in your following comment.

Because people mix things up, you seem to think that every PSU issue = spikes where the problem. But that's just not true

Of course I'm not saying this is exclusively a PSU issue, there's a great lack of information provided and troubleshooting steps taken to come to any kind of determination. The OP really needs to go through some of those before anything can be eliminated as a potential variable. Ultimately our goal is the same, to help the OP. You just disgree on method. Honestly I don't care what software OP uses to stress test so long as it's properly stressing their system. That's the entire reason I recommend official tests like Furmark, Unigen, and futuremark as there's a greater degree of certainy that you are fulling stressing the component being tested. You complained that was overly complicating things but I'd argue running a test designed to stress your GPU is simpler. Less variables to consider as compared to games, especially ones like fortnites with ever changing bugs and online components. Certain games like CP2077 still have trouble setting the correct options to this day.

Or the power supply trips on those spikes which sure, the OCP could be tripping but this isn't the case on better built units. With OP's issue it's most likely junk unit giving junk power however there is no harm in getting a quality unit in case they want to upgrade down the road.

With plenty of data out there where many low end units, and some decent ones still not able to hold up.

Heck even on higher quality units you can have some odd things trigger saftey mechanisms. Good example is the Seasonic Prime units where Nvidia 3000 series GPUs were causing noise to be fed back to the PSU resulting in protections tripping (which was fixed on the 4000 series and by Seasonic providing replacement cables). This is why it's best to rule things out through testing instead of assuming based on the wattage of the unit.

System Name lawooder
Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 DUO
Memory 32GB 4000Mhz CL16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 Ti
Storage SN770 250GB/SN750 500GB/SA510 1TB
Display(s) VG279QM 1080P 280hz + VG27AQ 1440P 165HZ
Case MSI MAG Something
Audio Device(s) fiiO EK10 + HD 599
Power Supply Focus GX 750 Watts
Mouse XM1r
Keyboard Xtrfy K4
When you say crash what does that mean, driver timeout, blue screen, black screen, restart, shutdown ?

Insufficient power/bad PSU will almost always manifest itself in the form of hard shutdowns. It's really easy to rule this out, a crappy PSU wont give you a driver timeout or bsod, it will instantly crash the system = shutdown.
I had a bad psu in the past that crashed nvidia driver easily under load.

Never happened again after I upgraded.

Btw, this is 1000% psu, that unit is literal dogshit.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
it may have been used for mining so a good cleaning and repasting may be needed and new PSU that GPU can pull 225W going full noise atleast mine does just playing starfield at 1080p never bothered with RT on it as it sucks fps to badly to use it

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
So I bought a 6800 used from eBay in November, it works fine in raster but will crash in most games when I enable ray tracing, is it possible the ray tracing cores are defective?
My PSU is not up to scratch for this GPU it is an EVGA 600 W1 80+ which I knew at the time was likely not going to be good enough to handle the transients of the 6800 though thought with an underclock and undervolt it would be fine, but it never crashes when I am gaming using just rasterization, only when RT is enabled, games that exhibit this behaviour include but are not limited to fortnite, Doom eternal, call of duty MW, and some others, ray tracing will work in the odd game without crashing though they are few and far between and I can't remember off the top of my head which ones, maybe resident evil 4 remake? ressident evil 7 also crashes when RT is enabled. I have tried different drivers to no avail.
Hello! I did read most of the thread, but the diagnostic techniques here are limited to information..... that said,

What are settings for your set up?
And what have you tried so we don't suggest a bunch you've done already.

Ideas, depending on some variables.

1. Try the card in a different rig
2. Set your current system to defaults.
3. Enable/disabled resize the bar
4. Limit the RT settings in the games
5. DDU completely, then try the drivers. Remove amd/nv/Intel
6. Fresh OS on a different drive
7. Monitor with HWInfo64, create logs.
8. Monitor with GPU-Z. Logs.
9. Different display port/cable/monitor
10. Freddy's coming for you.....

That's just a few things we could suggest I suppose. But I'm going to guess you've tried all but #10.

GL!!

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Pro
use 7000 AMD or Nvidia for Rt....

it may have been used for mining so a good cleaning and repasting may be needed and new PSU that GPU can pull 225W going full noise atleast mine does just playing starfield at 1080p never bothered with RT on it as it sucks fps to badly to use it
225W is ok with good 550W PSU, it's not such a "big consumption"

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Storage Fanxiang S660 1TB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB, BraveEagle 240GB SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Case Corsair 4000D White
I'll be getting a PSU, personally I don't think it is the PSU, though we shall see, it was on my list of things to do anyway

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I'll be getting a PSU, personally I don't think it is the PSU, though we shall see, it was on my list of things to do anyway
Make sure it's a good one so we don't repeat the thread. :roll:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
You can try those games at really low resolutions (720p or even lower), v-sync enabled. If they still crash (the power draw should be low at those resolutions), it's the GPU.

System Name lawooder
Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 DUO
Memory 32GB 4000Mhz CL16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 Ti
Storage SN770 250GB/SN750 500GB/SA510 1TB
Display(s) VG279QM 1080P 280hz + VG27AQ 1440P 165HZ
Case MSI MAG Something
Audio Device(s) fiiO EK10 + HD 599
Power Supply Focus GX 750 Watts
Mouse XM1r
Keyboard Xtrfy K4
Power draw doesnt really matter with a bad PSU, the spikes will still be there and it will end up tripping the PSU or the driver anyway.

RDN2 and ampere demand good PSU's.

I had nvidia driver timeouts consistently when i first got the 3070 ti, I had a GOOD PSU, not the best, but it was seasonic branded, silver rating, 650 watts, solid all around but not even then was enough, even if I was using just 50% power limit. Sometimes i'd get driver timeouts, other straight up restarts..

I legit thought the card was cooked, but got a new PSU first (Seasonic GX 750) and never had a single problem since.

The moral of the story is, get a good PSU. Bad PSU's can manifest problems in many many ways, not worth the headache at all.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Case Corsair 4000D White
I have ran multiple GPU's on said PSU just fine, it's also curious it only happens with RT on even with much lower load, ran a 2080 super no problems also, but I am replacing it, I just don't think it is the issue, I may stand to be corrected however