• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 3000 and Older Zen Chips Don't Support SAM Due to Hardware Limitation, Intel Chips Since Haswell Support it

Give these three links a read you'll find a lot of decent information to glean. On that note TechArp said it best "
AMD Smart Access Memory : How To Enable It?
If you have all of those supported components above, and updated your motherboard BIOS, you need to manually enable Smart Access Memory.

Now, the method will vary from motherboard to motherboard, and it probably won’t even be called Smart Access Memory.

Instead, look for variations of Above 4G Decoding, or Resizing BAR, or Resizable BAR."

https://www.techarp.com/computer/smart-access-memory-guide/

https://envytools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/hw/bus/bars.html

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/gpudirect-rdma/index.html

On my AsRock z170 I believe aperture size is BAR size adjust afrom 256MB to 4096GB adjustable amounts doubling it in step intervals upward from 256MB. MMIO 4GB enable/disable is 4G decoding which you enable above 2GB aperture size seems to follow Windows system memory PAE limits perfectly though doesn't appear there is a 3GB PAE switch or doesn't make any mention of it, but maybe it can work similarly technically not sure the PAE limit is to do with 32-bit and 64-bit with the PDEP support. In fact a Microsoft article on PAE mentions DEP the P portion represent paging and I think is just another difference in the name acronym of it tech industry is wishy washing on naming of different features that's nothing new. If Zen 1/Zen 2 lacks a 64-bit PDEP register on the CPU and/or on earlier chipsets than x570/B550 that most zen 1/zen 2 CPU's would be utilizing it could be limited to at best 2GB to 3GB aperture sizes is my speculation on the matter given how PAE works with system memory for 32-bit.

System Name 5800X3D-RTX3090
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360MP D-RGB AIO
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
Video Card(s) nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 4 x 4TB WD SN850X M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 27" IPS @ 144hz, G-Sync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X - Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Speakers: Razer Leviathan v1 | Audio ICs and codecs: ALC1220-VB, ESS SABRE9118 DAC, & DTS:X Ultra
Power Supply 1300W Seasonic Prime PX 80+
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite
VR HMD Valve Index, Oculus Rift S
Software Win10 Pro
Behold! My i7-4790k will never die!

It is really screwd up AMD, they introduced it as game booster, but their processors not compatible with it, insted the Intel one :D.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
AMD must insert bigger L1 instruction cache to have place for most or all of new (and important older) instructions and algorithms. 64KB will be good but 128KB(per core) will be much more good size for that. Today L1(I) is too small only 32KB(before with Bulldozer/Vishera L1(I) was 64KB) and AMD were cut it in a half in Ryzen. I think that AMD is guilty for that and their actions for cut L1(I) cache size is to the detriment of consumers. For example, Ryzen does not support the 3D Now! Instructions, which were and still are really impressive, and in their absence we all lost good functionality. And as it becomes clear from the discussion in this discussion, AMD has "passed" us and other useful instructions ...:mad:

I'm still wondering if the BAR size on Zen/Zen 2 is limited to 256MB or if it just can't go beyond 2GB that would still provide a x8 improvement plus I imagine it has diminishing returns on the upside beyond a certain point.

System Name Nero Mini
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 4.7GHz-4.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X570i Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S+3x Noctua IPPC 3K
Memory Team Dark 3800MHz CL16 2x16GB 55ns
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Storage Adata XPG Gammix S50 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
This sounds bullshit considering that Ryzen 3000 and 5000 both uses the SAME IO DIE that controls PCIE...what is going on?

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
It is really screwd up AMD, they introduced it as game booster, but their processors not compatible with it, insted the Intel one :D.
That's one weird way of seeing it.
The other is: it was there for years, but was put to use only after AMD implemented it.

Remind me, which Haswell mainboard supports it.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Here lies the real answer.

So a set of instructions that otherwise would require high CPU use to perform if not present. Still might provide better performance is implemented on high core count machines than if not for minimum frame rates.

Some instructions are present in Excavator but not in Zen 1 or 2.

This is false as the ryzen 3000 and 5000 have the exact same IO chiplet.

full-rate _pdep_u32/64 is not required for Resizable bar, its an optional improvement for certain DirectX Swizzle operations but is not required for large block transactions to and from the graphics card, its also a non standard method of swizzle in any case.

Lightkey said:
I've asked in the usual channel and one knowledgeable guy answered that they misinterpreted Sebastian Aaltonen comments to mean that PDEP is necessary for "SAM", which it isn't and that he was just excited to talk about it since AMD took so long to support the instruction.
Radv developer Bas Nieuwenhuizen also said that it's unrelated to any interaction with the GPU since it would be non-standard and better done at texture packing time.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
AMD shooting their own foot again?
exactly.
So Intel "inferior" products are receiving it, while our "superior" and modern 3900X, 3800X and XT series are not.
On a marketing point of view, it would have be better for AMD not to release the feature at all...

If PDEP decode can be enabled up to 2GB for u32 on Zen/Zen2 that really needs to be highlighted by AMD. The gap between 256MB aperture size and 2GB is pretty wide. There is even the off chance it works like PAE with a /3GB switch as well in regard to the 32-bit address.

A little conspiracy questions?: Is there any external reason that was valid until before ZEN3 that prevented this instruction from being used(in AMD CPUs)? Does Microsoft want to be paid extra money for products that support this set of instructions?

Above 4G decoding which allows 64-bit PCI decoding aka aperture/bar size appears to be present as a option in AMI bios tool in AsRock's x470 bios for Fatl1ty board snooping into the bios for it though it's disabled. Something labeled IOMMU seems to be their as well perhaps that's the same as MMIO with a slight name altercation. Seems to be quite a lot of infinity fabric divider options in the bios seems to go from 667MHz upward in options to 3GHz. I tried to look at x570 bios, but AMI bios tool didn't work with it at least not the version of the tool I have.

I think there could be some validity to AMD's claims. From looking at the AsRock x470 bios I spotted a few key difference between it and my skylake z170 bios. A bios option labeled Above 4G decoding was present, but disabled on x470 and is to do with 64-bit PCIE decode assuming that's the 64-bit PDEP decode that enabled BAR size/Aperture size adjustments in particular above 2GB. It doesn't have MMIO, but did have something labeled IOMMU I'm thinking it's a interchangeable name difference. What was lacking was anything with the name BAR/aperture size thus no configuration options for that. I presume it's got a bios string for 256MB aperture size written somewhere in the bios, but no configuration option for it. I'm uncertain if it could be manipulated and coded to a value higher than that upward of 2GB/3GB or not.

My conclusion is AMD isn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes on the matter. The BAR/aperture size and options are a new feature to the AMD platform that's been introduced with x570/B550 and Zen 3 CPU's. If the CPU having the proper hardware for the 4G decoding (PDEP 64-bit) is required that's understandable enough. I can certainly see now why Nvidia is pressuring Intel to support it since it is already capable of supporting it.

It's a weird situation overall AMD/HP seemed to push and fund behind the scenes the original address space research into the PCIE spec for it from what It looked like. Seems Intel then beat them to the punch on feature complience of the spec itself, but never pro-actively exploited it. I think in Nvidia's case it's simply a instance of we could be actively using this same tech and do some already on Intel platforms from a few generations back so rather than being at some self imposed disadvantage and restriction perhaps we shouldn't. I think this is also a great instance where Intel could show some good will toward it's customers especially in light of all the security flaws and performance impact they've caused. They could restore a bit of that performance and at no real cost and give back a bit of the performance customers paid for in the first place that was effectively thrown out. It's the right thing to do from a PR standpoint to restore customer sentiment if you're Intel not doing so will leave a much greater scar people will look at it and say yeah Intel doesn't care about customer satisfaction and not just able, but willing to screw them over.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Something labeled IOMMU seems to be their as well perhaps that's the same as MMIO with a slight name altercation.
A simple explanation from Wiki:
"In computing, an input–output memory management unit (IOMMU) is a memory management unit (MMU) that connects a direct-memory-access–capable (DMA-capable) I/O bus to the main memory."
It's present in B450 Bios also from MSI.
Also above 4G.
bios_07-copy.jpg

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
In ZEN2 it is apparently emulated in microcode using other instructions which is why it is too slow for any benefit here.
Wikipedia mentions a faster method called zp7 instead of the PEXT and PDEP instructions using microcode.

For example, Excavator through Zen 2 processors implement PEXT and PDEP instructions using microcode resulting in the instructions executing significantly slower than the same behaviour recreated using other instructions.[15] (A software method called "zp7" is, in fact, faster on these machines.)

I was going to give a bios flash with a modded aperture size, but "Secure Flash check fail!" for some reason my z170 AsRock doesn't allow me flash a modded bios now, but it was able to a few years ago very odd.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I was going to give a bios flash with a modded aperture size, but "Secure Flash check fail!" for some reason my z170 AsRock doesn't allow me flash a modded bios now, but it was able to a few years ago very odd.
Probably a M.E. update, disable if possible and try.

ASRock say stop any overclocks before flash. System must be running by default.

I tried UEFI defaults reset and it didn't seem to help. Also tried AMI windows flash and instant flash in the bios, but neither wanted to budge they were firm in their stance my wares weren't legit.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

ASRock has updated their protections since then, primarily due to yours truly if I had to guess... lol. There are ways around it. PM me if interested and I'll see if I can't help you out. Keep in mind above 4GB decoding is only half of the needed features though.

I've already madea few experimental bioses here:

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Again, the same thing as with the 370x boards not supporting 5000 series processors. It turned out you can use 5000 series CPUs on 370x (with modified BIOS) and of course people say AMD lied. When is supporting same as will work with?
Same here in this situation. 3000 series probably would work with SAM but they are not supported. This probably means the gains from SAM with 3000 series are not worth it.
I'm sure Haswell will work with SAM (Intel version) but what's the point of it if it gives you nothing or a boost in an area of margin of error.
I'd rather wait for this feature release and tests its capabilities with older CPUs before jumping into any conclusions.