• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7040 Series "Phoenix Point" Mobile Processor I/O Detailed: Lacks PCIe Gen 5

I doubt that for laptops.
You can doubt it all you wish. Market trends say otherwise.
For every laptop gamer there's like what, three people or more who just wants something for Office work, studying, etc.
There is some of that. But most people lately want a laptop as a primary computing device and they what the option to do gaming. A solid 50% of the people walking into my shop looking for a laptop want one with a DGPU.

Some of us don't want them. I don't work with anything requiring gpu compute.
You can always buy a laptop with 6800U or HS APU, which more often do not come with mGPU.
Plus, some vendors like Lenoco allow you to pre-configure your laptop and even choose 6900HX without mGPU.

So those who dream of a light, power efficient laptop with a strong iGPU, find themselves without any real options in the market.
Lenovo allows you configure your own laptop. You can get even 6900HX wihtout desrete graphics card. Where is the problem?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
This is not true. I have 6800H in Asus Vivobook Pro. Brilliant laptops, not designed for gaming.
This link is all 20 models of the Asus Vivobook Pro with a Ryzen 7 CPU in them:
Each and every one of them has a Geforce dGPU. Did you not even read my posts?
I don't care what Wikipedia and the TPU database say, in the real world, you can't buy an R7 6800H without a dGPU.

Last edited:
So find a system that doesn't have a 3050. It's not like they don't exist.
It's also true that several vendors, such as Asus, wanted to get rid off older Ampere stock and just loaded many designs with low end mGPUs. I noticed that specifically when I was trying to buy a new laptop with 6800H. Asus would not offer you an option without mGPU, but Lenovo would, however they would charge you more for the privilege of pre-config. All in all, it's not as user friendly and easy to find.

Each and every one of them has a Geforce dGPU.
Did you not even read my post?
I did. Did you? You mentioned gaming. Vivobook Pro are not gaming. Those are designed for media and content creation, as well as for productivity. And therefore that line of laptops come with descrete GPU with Studio driver, not gaming driver. Simple as that.

You need to find a line of laptops that suit your needs.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
You can operate everything from CPU, just like on servers. Chipset chip is not necessary in laptops if you have enough lanes from CPU, and it consumes additional power (3-4W). Here is Dragon Range config.
Ah, so AMD even managed to repurpose the four lanes, those that otherwise go to the chipset, for other things that laptops need. Nice.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I like the optimism about the price. I at least hope that AMD improves availability, even today it's hard to find a laptop with 6800u here... Intel is still much more efficient with regards to availability and the speed at which new designs hit stores.

I mean you can get a Macbook M2 laptop for $899 on sale now, so if AMD doesn't undercut that by a bit, then I will just get a Macbook M2 for work, so meh. Up to AMD if they want my money or not, lol

SL2

You can doubt it all you wish. Market trends say otherwise.

There is some of that. But most people lately want a laptop as a primary computing device and they what the option to do gaming. A solid 50% of the people walking into my shop looking for a laptop want one with a DGPU.
Do you have any info about these market trends besides your own shop?

Also, is your pic a political statement? Just curious, as you're the second one I've seen with a pic of him here.

Ah, so AMD even managed to repurpose the four lanes, those that otherwise go to the chipset, for other things that laptops need. Nice.
Those four lanes have been weirdly reported as 'unavailable'. They use it for Ethernet, WiFi module and a few other bits. I think they meant you cannot repurpose them for other devices as those lanes are dedicated for fixed modules and functions.

Low quality post by Chrispy_
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Of course you can. On Lenovo website you should be able to build your own laptop.
You just specifically claimed you had a 6800H in your Asus Vivobook Pro which is EXACTLY why I just proved they didn't sell such a thing.

Here's Lenovo's list of 6800HS models. Everything available has a Geforce or RX 6000-series dGPU

Go and troll somewhere else, you moron.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Tek-Check
You just specifically claimed you had a 6800H in your Asus Vivobook Pro which is EXACTLY why I just proved they didn't sell such a thing.
Go and troll somewhere else, you moron.
Calm down dude. You are not allowed to call anyone "moron" on this platform just because you disagree with them. Have some manners in the first place.

You said:
"The 6800U was a great performer but the typical 25W TDP throttled away a lot of its potential. The same silicon given a 45W TDP as the 6800H was never spotted outside of chungus gaming laptops with stupid RGBLED and childish robot slashes/angles/vajazzle adorning their cheap plastic shells."

I told you that 6800H can be bought with Asus Vivobook Pro - it's not a gaming laptop, it does not have RGB and it does not have any plastic.
You got it?

Low quality post by Chrispy_
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Calm down dude. You are not allowed to call anyone "moron" on this platform just because you disagree with them. Have some manners in the first place.

You said:
"The 6800U was a great performer but the typical 25W TDP throttled away a lot of its potential. The same silicon given a 45W TDP as the 6800H was never spotted outside of chungus gaming laptops with stupid RGBLED and childish robot slashes/angles/vajazzle adorning their cheap plastic shells."

I told you that 6800H can be bought with Asus Vivobook Pro - it's not a gaming laptop, it does not have RGB and it does not have any plastic.
You got it?
Way to miss the point.
We're looking for APUs without dGPUs for the last three pages and that's all you quote out of context? Context like the next entire paragraph of my post you just quoted.
Jesus.

Low quality post by SL2

SL2

You got it?
Don't bother. I proved him wrong but he won't budge.

It's also true that several vendors, such as Asus, wanted to get rid off older Ampere stock and just loaded many designs with low end mGPUs. I noticed that specifically when I was trying to buy a new laptop with 6800H. Asus would not offer you an option without mGPU, but Lenovo would, however they would charge you more for the privilege of pre-config. All in all, it's not as user friendly and easy to find.
And how about MSI, Dell, HP, Acer, etc, etc?...

SL2

No you didn't. Your opinion does not reality make.
It's not an opinion, it's an actual URL in my post, pointing to several laptops being sold.

I have no idea where these IGP deniers come from, just because products are scarce doesn't mean they don't exist. :confused:
1673221430386.png

1673222554644.png

1673221247220.png

Last edited:
I have no idea where these IGP deniers come from, just because products are scarse doesn't mean they don't exist. :confused:
Right? They're not really scarce either.
It's not an opinion, it's an actual URL in my post, pointing to several laptops being sold.

Ah, ok. I read that wrong. My bad..

And how about MSI, Dell, HP, Acer, etc, etc?...
MSI, if I remember well, had only Advantage preconfigured series, and it did not offer "build your own PC" tool. They did not seem to have interesting 6000 designs. Acer offered some gaming options, but in "build your own PC" tool there was no offer to choose APU. Didn't check others as I managed to find Asus Vivobook Pro.

I was specifically looking for productivity AMD 6000 4K laptop and the only option, other than Asus OLED series, was Lenovo X16 with pre-config tool. Those Lenovo laptops were prohibitively expensive, more than €2,500 even without mGPU. Nuts.

Last edited:
MSI, if I remember well, had only Advantage preconfigured series, and it did not offer "build your own PC" tool. They did not seem to have interesting 6000 designs. Acer offered some gaming options, but in "build your own PC" tool there was no offer to choose APU. Didn't check others as I managed to find Asus Vivobook Pro.
Yeah, the complaints above are not about the DIY/Build-your-own type situations. They're complaining about prebuilt systems.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Yeah, the complaints above are not about the DIY/Build-your-own type situations. They're complaining about prebuilt systems.
Indeed.
Mainly because many regions don't even get customisable builds any more. Those died off in most of Europe several years ago.
If I had to guess, Tek-spek is in the US and doesn't ever shop outside his own region.

Most pre-built systems based on H SKUs do have mGPU. Main vendors made those design choices based on power segmentation and whatever Ampere leftovers they had in stock, to get rid of them in anticipation of 4000 series. U SKUs are readily available without desrete GPU.

The only way I found to avoid descrete GPU and still keep 6800H was to try to use DIY tools. That's why I mentioned the example from Lenovo.
There is only as much choice with AMD designs. Vendors definitely have more options for Intel designs.

We're looking for APUs without dGPUs for the last three pages and that's all you quote out of context? Context like the next entire paragraph of my post you just quoted
I know what the context was, but still that sentence was not correct, with or without descrete GPU in the context. You should write me a PM to apologize for calling me names, as I did not deserve it in any moment. I will be waiting for your message.

Tek-spek is in the US and doesn't ever shop outside his own region.
No, he is in fact in Europe and has researched laptops more than a month in Europe, US and Canada.
In Europe, I am aware of Clevo offering fully custom built laptops, but from AMD only Zen 3.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
No you didn't. Your opinion does not reality make.
You can configure practically anything you want on several vendors BTO (built to order) systems. Lenovo in particular.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
You can configure practically anything you want on several vendors BTO (built to order) systems. Lenovo in particular.

Yeah, I thought that was implied when I told them about going to HP and Dell's website and actually looking. People don't listen though, so I abandoned this thread, and will do so again now. ta ta mates