• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Socket AM5 "Zen 4" Processors to have RDNA2 Integrated Graphics Across the Lineup

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
The iGPU on the I/O die would have it's own cache and do not need to have to have more unless they want to reach higher performance level. It's goig to be shrinked from Globalfoundry 12nm to TSMC 7nm so they will have some space. They aren't adding much to it as per the rumors. (DDR5 instead of DDR4, additional usb, 4 more GPU die

This article is about all Ryzen getting an igpu, not a high performance one. they can fit rdna 2 in mobile chip so they can fit it in the I/O without problem.

I wouldn't mind a GCD (GPU complex die) but since they say that every Ryzen will have one, i doubt it. But let think about it for fun
Yes we brought that up and it doesn't matter if the mem controller is on the I/O die it would require cache mem and that would cost especially with the shrink.
Navi 23 with 32 compute unit and 32 MB of infinity cache is 237 mm². Zen 3 CCD is about 80 mm². So let's imagine a Navi die where you remove all the PCI-E and Memory hardware, replace it with infinity fabrics instead, downgrade to 16 compute unit and 16 MB of Infinity cache. It should get very close to 80 mm² (or could easily match if it use TMSC 5nm) and could probably fit next to an 8 core Zen 4 CCD and could give users good low end 1080P medium/high detail performance.

The whole package could have up to 170w to use but this GPU could use about 50-60 watts and get decent clock frequency if worth it. It would still be limited by bandwidth as the hit rate would be low and it could be starved by the DDR5 memory shared with the CPU so very high clock is probably not really useful anyway. But that could hit hard and give people access to the low end GPU market quite easily.

One thing to take into consideration there, is AMD want to be sure that it's own IP is in as much PC as possible. They see intel coming with Xe that is in almost every intel CPU. The truth is the GPU wars is going to be heated up and they will have to fight back on the low-mid range. A dedicated cards is probably not the best option but a small integrated GPU with a small chunk of infinity cache could fill that role very easily.
I get your point and it is nice to have but that will boost cost nonetheless and for me it is kind of a stretch here with the iGPU. You can use it but not in a way you would want to use it. It is a nice touch but nothing more and yet, the cost will go up for sure. I don't mind CPU with the iGPU but I would also want CPUs that skip the iGPU.
If you get iGPU on the I/O die either after shrink or not doesnt matter, you need solid connections and pathways for communication which also makes it more complex and boost costs.

Oh the GPU war is starting for good now. You can see it in both NV and AMD when Intel announced the Xe.
Dont worry. Non-functional GPU's are basicly lasercut. It means that no current is flowing through them and it has zero effect in thermal(s).
I think you have missed the point. We dont know if this iGPU will be in the I/O die or on every chiplet with Ryzen cores. it is not about thermals only and I don't want to repeat what I said previously.

Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula (X570)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Asus PG43UQ / Samsung 32" UJ590
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro 22H2
As long as it doesn't affect the core count then I'm happy to have an IGPU. Even on a gaming system it's one thing I do miss from not running Intel, if your dedicated GPU dies or is having issues its extremely handy to have a built in backup for testing or as a temporary replacement.