• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to drop ATi name!

V

v-zero

Well, I knew something bad had to come from AMD's "hostile" takeover of ATi, and here's the rotten news... Some of you may have already heard, but for those who haven't; AMD will drop the ATi name, in favour of an all-AMD lineup - All Green!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/08/07/bye_bye_ATI/

So, how does everybody feel about this? I don't like it, the AMD name is the least attractive in the business. ATi, nVidia, Intel, hell even Cyrix sounds better... And now we have two "green" graphics card makers. Green PCB Radeon!? Yuck! :cry:

W2hCYK

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.3GHz
Motherboard P5WDG2-WS Pro, need new chipset cooler.
Cooling Dangerden TDX-775
Memory OCZ 2gb PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM 4-5-4-15
Video Card(s) X850XTPE 256mb @ 585/640
Storage 2x 250gb Perpendicular SATA3.0, 2x Maxtor DiamondMax10 160gb SATA-150 drives
Display(s) Sceptre 19" 8ms LCD
Case Lian-Li PC-65
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 700w 18a 12v, Quad Rail
Software Windows XP SP2
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91650/amd-stays-hand-over-ati-brand-axe.html

they plan to keep it

The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry. As such, we plan to keep it. Period.'
What's clear from all this is that ATi will have no part in the overall name of the company after the takeover, but it's possible that AMD will continue to use the ATi brand, as well as the Radeon brand, for specific product lines.
They're going to keep it, but.. not really.. maybe an occasional ATI RADEON card, but otherwise, it will be called an AMD <name> card

System Name Current rig
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asus Z710-Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix OC 6GB
Case rosewill L4412
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
we have the search feature for a reason, this has already been discussed vigilantly.
:lock:
Damn I hope we have that picture :)

EDIT: Darn, we don't :(