• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Enter the FPGA Market, in Advanced Talks to Acquire Xilinx

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
And most importantly telecom and high-speed networking. I think AMD is after that 5G infrastructure sweet pie, since xilinx already has a decent portfolio of comms&accelerator solutions.
That's probably true. AMD also theoretically has a leg up on Intel in terms of integration given that their entire CPU portfolio is based on chiplets - adding an FPGA or two into the mix for an embedded EPYC or similar product series would probably be relatively easy.

As for why they're looking at this in a broader perspective, I think AMD is seeing significant growth but are also seeing the limits of the X86 CPU + GPU/compute accelerator market, and want to diversify. Makes sense business wise, though there is definitely a need to not over-reach when doing something like this. Buying a company worth between 1/3 and 1/4 of your own? That's defintely a big ask. Though that should also mean buying into a solid source of revenue, of course, and as such it should pay for itself in time even if left to its own devices (as long as the interest on the loans needed to buy isn't egregious).

Given the way Intel has been gobbling up companies left and right for the past decade, I think we need someone else of a similar size to balance things out and avoid Intel entirely cementing themselves as the one-stop-shop for all enterprise compute solutions. (No, I don't think NvidiARM+Mellanox quite does that, as ARM's main business is (still) consumer chips.)

6 vs 30, piece of cake.
Yeah if only the stock markets didn't outperform virtually every other asset class in that time, perhaps with the exception of real estate, not to mention the number of billionaires has probably quintupled as well.

Which is to say that it's (valuation) no big deal, really just look at ARM+Nvidia o_O

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
From whence they were collaborating with the industry to build Fury Series, the name of Xilinx was right up there.

They were multiple partners. They went over the reticle limit.
You mean interposers? "HBM connector" isn't a term I've ever seen used.

You mean interposers? "HBM connector" isn't a term I've ever seen used.
I didn't want to dig deep. Getting roasted right now, to be frank.
I think they helped to design it and UMC manufactured it.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
Digging around in my old box of parts... it would be much more interesting if AMD reclaimed their IP with a Lattice Semi acquisition :D

Though that would have a 100% chance of being blocked by China in a severe bout of sour grapes.

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
AMD can easily afford to buy a company with a market cap 1/4th of its own, given that most of the price is likely to be paid in stock, as per WSJ report. Their liabilities have been low for almost a decade, the difference now is that the stock is extremely expensive and their revenue is sharply up, so of course they're looking to capitalize on this.
Don't think of corporate M&A in terms of your wallet or worth, they operate on an entirely different plane.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
Can anyone explain what is AMD looking for with Xilinx acquisition? I am lacking deeper understanding. What benefit would AMD gain?

For PC enthusiasts, apparently not that much directly. But for professional scenarios, there's a gazillion of opportunities.

fpga.jpg

"Another trend in the use of FPGAs is hardware acceleration, where one can use the FPGA to accelerate certain parts of an algorithm and share part of the computation between the FPGA and a generic processor.[2] The search engine Bing is noted for adopting FPGA acceleration for its search algorithm in 2014.[40] As of 2018, FPGAs are seeing increased use as AI accelerators including Microsoft's so-termed "Project Catapult"[18] and for accelerating artificial neural networks for machine learning applications. " [wikipedia]

Anything related to "Machine Learning" and "AI" is a very attractive business nowadays. And AMD being now in such a growing and attractive proposition in servers, datacenters, and supercomputers, makes this basically another professional field where there's tech benefits and money to be made.

A combination with Xilinx would give AMD Chief Executive Officer Lisa Su more of the pieces needed to break Intel Corp.’s stranglehold on the profitable market for data-center computer components. It would follow moves by rival Nvidia Corp., which bought Mellanox Technologies Ltd. and aims to use its pending acquisition of Arm Ltd. to grab more of that business.

Acquiring Xilinx, which makes programmable chips for wireless networks, would also help AMD expand into a new market just as telecommunications carriers spend billions to build fifth-generation, or 5G, networks.

What Bloomberg Intelligence Says:
"AMD’s interest in Xilinx is both a shield and a sword against Intel’s diverse data-center computing assets, Nvidia’s GPUs, Mellanox’s assets and its potential purchase of U.K.-based Arm. Xilinx’s FPGAs would expand AMD’s computing variety, widening its CPU and GPU capability into AI and networking. The deal may also be financially accretive."
- Anand Srinivasan and Marina Girgis, analysts
Bloomberg

Plus, of the two major companies of this type of product, one is already owned by Intel.
"In 2016, long-time industry rivals Xilinx and Altera (now an Intel subsidiary) were the FPGA market leaders.[52] At that time, they controlled nearly 90 percent of the market. "

As long as it makes AMD a stronger company in the professional application sphere, which is where the big business tech opportunities are, it will benefit us in the end, since it makes the company more robust.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Here's hoping they don't repeat ATI, bankrupting themselves in the process. They may not survive that again.

Here's hoping they don't repeat ATI, bankrupting themselves in the process. They may not survive that again.
That depends what they pay for Xilinx. That said Lisa Su is a much better CEO as well so I would defiantly anticipate a more seamless merger than what happened with the ATI merger. I also think FPGA's are more far reaching perhaps in terms of IP than what AMD got out of ATI though GPU's are fairly diverse as well and what they do they do very well at those specialized tasks. I really think Xilinx has a lot of IP that will integrate great alongside AMD's own IP portfolio in tandem. I defiantly feel FPGA's aren't going away in any hurry they are programmable so why would they and if anything where things are headed we'll see a lot more use of them a significant amount perhaps when you take into account AI, deep learning, and data analytics that could have specialized programming.

I think that MAXLD's post was pretty much spot on. Then take into account AMD's chiplets apply that with infinity fabric to FPGA along with a nice helping of CPU/APU/GPU tech and you've got a good set of tools for self learning robotics AMD will have it's terminators before you know it, but seriously there are lots of good applications for that robots that can perform neurosurgery with far less error than any human. There tons of fields where that combined IP portfolio from a merger would benefit a lot. I think there will be a whole trickle down effect if the merger happens on the FPGA front in sweeping amount of area's of technology. Really with the IP they already have it could help usher in a fairly new era of computing in a much more cohesive way cognitive computing. Imagine a singular chip with infinity fabric with FPGA/CPU/GPU chiplets and several cores on each of those and throw in some 3D stacking as well.

The future looks bright and maybe we'll see a bit of quantum computing as well. I could see a optical path potentially interconnecting them all quickly as well. I wonder if AMD will do some Wifi/Bluetooth chiplets too that could even be interesting as a interconnect between different regions of those 3 chips. It might not make sense in all cases, but in some wouldn't be bad and more practical than a multi socket solution for example in like a robotic with different chips in different regions of the robot controlling and analyzing things.

Something that crossed my mind not too far back is something a bit like Vulkan on software and hardware side that numerous players could modify and adapt profile use case schemes for it. A open ended software/hardware Vulkan inspired FPGA combination. Something that's part fixed and yet re-programmable to a degree on the hardware and software side of things perhaps in both area's to a degree. Perhaps FPGA's could be useful for variable rate shading methods especially given it's a emerging field of usage. See that's the beauty to the FPGA being programmable new and emerging API's or revisions to existing ones and ways of doing things could be adapted to current hardware to some degree or another more easily aka partly cognitive programmability.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Can anyone explain what is AMD looking for with Xilinx acquisition? I am lacking deeper understanding. What benefit would AMD gain?
When intel release server chips (or heaven forbid consumer)with an FPGA attached via emib to leverage on the EDGE via their one API and dominate CPU performance in some workloads.
AMD might have an answer.

Plus like all/ most chip developers/designers, the use of FPGA to simulate designs is prolific.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah. That's cool, but I thought he meant widescale commercial products. That's more a hobbyist toy.

Still, I'll take the correction.
That's the thing: if you want to avoid emulation with all its drawbacks, you need either original silicon or an FPGA, and only the latter will do if you also want modern I/O. Of course FPGAs are expensive, which turns this into something (relatively wealthy) enthusiasts (who are the most likely to mind the drawbacks of emulation anyhow). For the rest of us, there are the retail retro mini consoles or RetroPie.

Nvidia has pretty much forced AMD into these markets, as we know any success by them will be not be shared with others.... i.e. proprietary tech.

Forced or not remember the last acquisition by AMD, called ATI back in the day, actually helped them stay relevant & exist today. It wasn't ATI that forced AMD to make *dozers, nor was it ATI that forced them to take the deal with Intel over their OEM bribing circa 2008 (hint ~ it was the worst financial crisis before the current one) & neither did ATI force them to take off the pedal when they were at or near the peak, in CPU market share, just around the time Conroe launched. Yes at the time they overpaid for ATI but without Radeon there'd be no AMD dGPU's, no console deals & probably no AMD today ~ so anyone thinking ATI wasn't a good deal overall, think about what you're saying?

I'm pretty sure Xilinx will do well under AMD, they just need to structure the deal with minimal debt on the books.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Forced or not remember the last acquisition by AMD, called ATI back in the day, actually helped them stay relevant & exist today. It wasn't ATI that forced AMD to make *dozers, nor was it ATI that forced them to take the deal with Intel over their OEM bribing circa 2008 (hint ~ it was the worst financial crisis before the current one) & neither did ATI force them to take off the pedal when they were at or near the peak, in CPU market share, just around the time Conroe launched. Yes at the time they overpaid for ATI but without Radeon there'd be no AMD dGPU's, no console deals & probably no AMD today ~ so anyone thinking ATI wasn't a good deal overall, think about what you're saying?

I'm pretty sure Xilinx will do well under AMD, they just need to structure the deal with minimal debt on the books.

Its really hard to tell isn't it. Might be true, but the amount of time that went over this... man. One could also defend ATI took away focus within AMD and spread them too thin...

Either way, this seems like a sensible step for them.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900
Motherboard Asus Strix X570-F
Cooling Full WC Loop
Memory Adata D60G 16gb 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Aorus GTX 1080ti
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Yeah. That's cool, but I thought he meant widescale commercial products. That's more a hobbyist toy.

Still, I'll take the correction.
All the analogue clone systems use FPGAs, among other systems. They really are the hot thing in retro consoles right now.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
check xilinx's web page and you will understand why AMD wants it, well actually, needs to acquire it.

check xilinx's web page and you will understand why AMD wants it, well actually, needs to acquire it.
It is so interesting that they can purchase Xilinx. They are up to snuff.

I think a big issue with the ATI merger was AMD's management at the time the former CEO ran the company rather poorly. You can defiantly argue AMD probably overpaid perhaps for ATI and that's fine. You could even argue they missed a oppertunity to get Nvidia to which they did the very same CEO that ran AMD into the ground is the one that wouldn't cede control of the company over to Jensen Huang in a merger deal so a Nvidia fell thru as a result. That is actually telling of who was managing AMD at the time of the ATI merger Lisa Su is a much better company CEO. I trust her leadership if a Xilinx deal does happen if anyone guide AMD in the right direction Lisa Su certainly would be one of the best possible candidates to do so the world over. FPGA's have a very broad reach and that's perfect for AMD to branch out further and carve out markets they can thrive within.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
They have to be extremely careful if they're serious about it as currently they're on a roll.

A piece of FPGA in console for developer to tinker with? A *cat core with FPGA on Pi-like board? Sounds good to me.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
A piece of FPGA in console for developer to tinker with?
Never, ever going to happen.
A *cat core with FPGA on Pi-like board? Sounds good to me.
You actually want a CPU architecture from ~2015 (Puma+) that was really weak even for its time? Even a single OG Zen core with HT would be better than that.