1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Update Single-core Desktop CPU Lineup

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Mar 25, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD is planning to phase out its single-core Sempron LE-1150 processor by the end of this month and will launch a higher-end Athlon LE-1660 (2.8GHz) for its single-core CPU lineup, DigiTimes report. In addition to the Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 6000+ and 5600+, the company has also informed customers that final orders for its Athlon 64 X2 4200+ will be taken at the end of this month.

Source: DigiTimes

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    If someone buys these singles for their ''gaming rigs'', I'm honestly going to kill that person. :banghead:

Anyway, guess you can use these on a low-end, EXTREMELY low-end HTPC, or something.

3. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's funny -- I don't remember all games currently available for the PC being multi-core enabled... :wtf:

A single core is still more than useful for gaming -- maybe in a few years it won't be, but for now, it is.

4. AlCabone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Athlon LE-1660 (2.8GHz) - that's actually an FX-57 for AM2 socket. :)
    A legend reborn.

5. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    I played Crysis on my single core on HIGH :D

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If the prices are nice (and I assume they will be extremely nice) then it might be good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. trog100

Thanks Received:
    shame they ever dropped decent single core chips in the first place..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Why you gotta be like that trog? Let us AMD fans be...

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    because hes an ass clown :roll: j/k. Its not a shame they dropped them. I mean lets face it, if you can get 2 for the same price as one, wouldnt you take it? I know I would. And I gotta agree, them LEs are beast and killer ocers.

BumbRush says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. trog100

Thanks Received:
    u didnt get two for the price of one.. silly arse.. u got two rubbish clockers for the price of one good clocker (3.3 gig two years ago) which is why i am glad to see a decent single core chip back.. assuming it clocks like the old one did..

i will also be glad to see the 3 core phenom when it arrives soon at 2.5 gig.. at last amd looks like they might have something to sell thats worth buying.. :D

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Geonerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Come get some, dude! :nutkick:

I play a few sim type games (rFactor, the IL-2 series, etc.) and am VERY happy with my single core gaming rig. My Le-1620 at 3.45G does just fine, thank you. The $ saved allowed me to get a decent vidcard (HD3870) and a stand alone sound card (just a used Audigy2 ZS, but it sounds fantastic.). I'm getting 100~200 FPS with 98% of the eye candy on, and high filtering levels. Seriously, what more could I ask for?

Unlike some around here, I live in the real world, where money does not grow on trees, and is not to be spent without good reason. I'll be happy to buy a multi-core WHEN the games I play need and support it. Until then, I have better things to spend my $ on. Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly destitute, and would enjoy overclocking a Q6600 or similar to 3.5GHZ, or whatever they're hitting. But would the enjoyment be worth $200 bucks? No. And, again, what would I use all this HP for? Benchmark pissing contests? Whoopie... :wtf:

12. driver66

driver66

Thanks Received:
    Edited for content:shadedshu

13. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ You CAN get pretty decent dual-core CPU's nowadays that are most likely much better then single-core ones, and they don't cost a fortune.

I just don't see the reason why to buy a far less future-proof CPU, than 'waste' your money on a single-core CPU and then wondering ''OMG, my games lag and stutter strangely although I have a HD3870 X2 and 4GB of memory in my computer.'' Those games of yours are quite old too, so of course they don't require a quad-core CPU. If you only play older games though, then of course it's a whole different story. :D

Anyway, this all is just an opinion of mine, no hard feelings. I just feel that it's totally useless to get a single-core CPU nowadays.