• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unveils its Most Powerful Semi-custom SoC for a Chinese OEM

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
If anything GDDR is much faster than simple DDR.
Sometimes. If it were that much faster we would all have system ram sticks with GDDR chips on them rather than the standard ones we use today. As I understand it, GDDR is a specialized type of ram that handles graphics information really well, but it wouldn't do so well with the type of data system ram is faced with. It's clocked really high, but also has really high latency.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Programs would have to be written specifically for this platform so as it make each and every memory call a worthwhile memory call.
And the main purpose of this Soc is gaming, so it will be heavily benefited from GDDR RAM.

For it's main purpose which is gaming I agree it will run just as good if not better than XBOX and PS due to it's higher specs but it's the other selling point which is "a little productivity on the side" that got me curious since "It dualboots Windows 10 and a custom Windows 10 IoT 'gaming OS'". I believe many Windows 10 programs are not specifically written with GDDR for it's CPU in mind like let's say Firefox and Excel, can we expect one/both to run like 10% slower or maybe even worse?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
For it's main purpose which is gaming I agree it will run just as good if not better than XBOX and PS due to it's higher specs but it's the other selling point which is "a little productivity on the side" that got me curious since "It dualboots Windows 10 and a custom Windows 10 IoT 'gaming OS'". I believe many Windows 10 programs are not specifically written with GDDR for it's CPU in mind like let's say Firefox and Excel, can we expect one/both to run like 10% slower or maybe even worse?
I think all apps will be faster or the same fast as with DDR4. GDDR5 is ultra fast in comparison to lose just because of higher latency.

Sometimes. If it were that much faster we would all have system ram sticks with GDDR chips on them rather than the standard ones we use today. As I understand it, GDDR is a specialized type of ram that handles graphics information really well, but it wouldn't do so well with the type of data system ram is faced with. It's clocked really high, but also has really high latency.
Main reason that DDR is preferred to GDDR is cost and that RAM bandwidth isn't needed to be high to serve the cpu needs, since they usually have 4 up to 64threads to serve (worst scenario) in parallel. GDDR was invented for GPUs since they needed ultra high bandwidth for parallel computing, since they have 1000-5000 shaders to serve and fetch data from and towards them. DDR's only pro is latency but in total it is very slow in comparison. Time will tell though.

Last edited: