• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen 6 to Cram Up to 32 CPU Cores Per CCD

SL2

but we're talking about soc's that come with a gpu and very likely an npu that will all be competing for memory bandwidth.
You're the only one talking about it, tho. We're talking about EPYC CPU's, or desktop CPU's made of chiplets and with a 2CU GPU, not laptop APU's.
plenty of space on the AM5 pcb
No.
1716386819633.png

The exception is if they're going 3D. That silly thick lid must be a placeholder for something..

You're the only one talking about it, tho. We're talking about EPYC CPU's, or desktop CPU's made of chiplets and with a 2CU GPU, not laptop APU's.

No.
View attachment 348402

The exception is if they're going 3D. That silly thick lid must be a placeholder for something..
is there a reason those smd's need to be in that configuration and can't be moved further to the edges

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
Yeah, server CPU's usually are.
Indeed, but I just had a thought if we to have a single 32c CCD with 3D V-cache (so no I-fabric latency issues to contend with), I dont think I would say no to that. Sure gaming would only use 6-8 cores, but ALL my other multi thread tasks would fly...

Assuming this comes to consumer boards, I want to also see more PCIe Lanes. Especially now that AI is coming to mainstream whether we like it or not anyway, and being able to add in a second card running at a full x16 dedicated to localized AI could be a selling point for the masses.

Although personally, I just want a second full x16 to run an NVMe x16 card without having to pay extra for built-in bifurcation. Bonus if they could also squeeze another x8 just so I can run a legacy ASUS sound card with my existing setup.

And go back to either triple channel DDR or bring quad channel DDR to mainstream too.

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
Something tells me, that these 32 cores single CCD are going to be Zen6c cores, instead "full-scale" ones. And only for Enterprise/server Epyc.
I doubt these gonna come to consumer market, even in shape of Threadripper. AMD felt the taste of artificial fragmentation margins, and won't allow it to happen on consumer market, no matter what. I even think they might intentionally fuse off the "extra cores" from the binned dies, that no longer usable for Epyc/Threadripper. Much like desktop Ryzen never had, and will never even four, let alone eight channel RAM, nor lanes, that easilly could be "given" to at least top X*70 chipset series. And how Hawk Point 8000G APUs have less lanes, than previous 5000G ones.
But that's my guess, and I do not force this upon anybody.

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares

No.
View attachment 348402

It's a place holder for a tower block of cores and cache mem. /s

Can't really see the point of a 32 core CPU for desktop, might as well just buy a TR if you need that many. Fast 16 core with no HT is the way to go imo. I think Intel have the right idea ditching HT, theough it does seem they are sticking with E cores and even got AMD to cobble up C cores for their CPUs

SL2

is there a reason those smd's need to be in that configuration and can't be moved further to the edges
They can't be where the lid is glued (black), that's a given. AMD has already mimimized that area with the cutouts of the lid. Currently there seems to be a bit of space at the lower end (green), but that's not much.
1716405385402.png

even got AMD to cobble up C cores for their CPUs
How are those even related? One is consumer only AFAIK and used even in 14900K, and the other is server only up until low end Phoenix 2 and never used in high end Ryzens.

1716404875183.png

This is clickbait. The text is all about EPYC, and Ryzen is never mentioned, especially not AM4.

No wonder readers start dreaming up products that will never exist lol

Last edited:
System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4×32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
They won't have. They would require a different kind of motherboard than other Ryzens.
Buy a Threadripper if you need more memory channels.
I know, actually I am actively planning to get the 7960X, encoding really needs the extra cores and the 4 channel memory controller!

SL2

as far as i know amd never promised they were going to keep am5 around all that long, they said they were going to keep it around for 3 years
those 3 years will be up at the end of 2025
No one knows at this point besides AMD, but AMD would shoot themselves in the foot if they had only two generations for one socket. That's the Intel standard, and people expect more from AMD. I think part of the reason for AM4's success is its longevity, and I'd expect AMD wanting to repeat that.

It's not the first time AMD said three years. Maybe they want to say four, but it's just that they can't know for certain.

In 2017:

Regardless of chipset, AMD intends to use the same socket, Socket 1331, and the same platform, AM4, until 2020, unless some new technology (such as PCIe 4.0 or DDR5) forces it to change the package pinout.

As we all know, the 5800X3D came not three but five years later, and models have been launched even this year, seven years later.

AMD will have to tell us this year if Zen5 or Zen6 is the last one for AM5.

Indeed, but I just had a thought if we to have a single 32c CCD with 3D V-cache (so no I-fabric latency issues to contend with), I dont think I would say no to that. Sure gaming would only use 6-8 cores, but ALL my other multi thread tasks would fly...
Zen 6 is all about fixing these issues with the current ccd design. We should indeed be able to have our 3D v-cache cake and eat it all. I think IO die is also in for major changes unlike Zen 5 which just carries over Zen 4 IO die with tweaks

I think 32 cores will definitely be Zen 6c cores, not regular Zen 6 cores which will be limited to 16 cores.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
They can't be where the lid is glued (black), that's a given. AMD has already mimimized that area with the cutouts of the lid. Currently there seems to be a bit of space at the lower end (green), but that's not much.
View attachment 348456

How are those even related? One is consumer only AFAIK and used even in 14900K, and the other is server only up until low end Phoenix 2 and never used in high end Ryzens.

View attachment 348451
This is clickbait. The text is all about EPYC, and Ryzen is never mentioned, especially not AM4.

No wonder readers start dreaming up products that will never exist lol

C cores are coming to ryzen, bet on it. Strange don't you think how they never used anything like E cores, and now C core which imo is their answer to E cores will be coming to desktop Ryzen. So yes they are related, even if not "exactly" the same. So both Intel and AMD will have normal or P cores and C or E cores. Not that i think it is a bad thing, as i still think E cores have their place.

View attachment 348456
thats reasonable, there wouldn’t be a reason for glue if they went the solder route though.

leaving out alterations that would probably not be feasible for am5, that does leave why bother with ryzen 7 and 9 if the base ccd is 16 core anyway.

So am5 for the low end something new with more memory channels and it’s not going to be thread ripper because those prices are just to high and would leave a serious gap in the product line

SL2

C cores are coming to ryzen, bet on it. Strange don't you think how they never used anything like E cores, and now C core which imo is their answer to E cores will be coming to desktop Ryzen.
You can't bet on things that have already happended lol.

Strange how you can't understand what I'm saying. All I said was that C cores didn't start as a direct response to E cores, because they both originated in different markets. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't compete with each other in the end.

thats reasonable, there wouldn’t be a reason for glue if they went the solder route though.
IDK if it's glue or whatever, I'm simply talking about the contact area between the lid and the base. It needs to be there in order to have that surface on top of the lid for the mechanism to hold on to. It can't look like AM4 CPU's around the edges. However, it's of course possible that AMD will use a new lid for AM5 at some point,.

They use solder.

Last edited:
They won't have. They would require a different kind of motherboard than other Ryzens.
Buy a Threadripper if you need more memory channels.
TR has more channels because at that number of cores and target audience you're starting to feel the memory limitation. If AMD wants to sell you a super duper CPU stuffed to the gills with cores for people who need them but then it's hobbled by the memory access and you're left with bragging rights in Task Manager, then it's a huge waste.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
No one knows at this point besides AMD, but AMD would shoot themselves in the foot if they had only two generations for one socket. That's the Intel standard, and people expect more from AMD. I think part of the reason for AM4's success is its longevity, and I'd expect AMD wanting to repeat that.

It's not the first time AMD said three years. Maybe they want to say four, but it's just that they can't know for certain.

In 2017:

Regardless of chipset, AMD intends to use the same socket, Socket 1331, and the same platform, AM4, until 2020, unless some new technology (such as PCIe 4.0 or DDR5) forces it to change the package pinout.

As we all know, the 5800X3D came not three but five years later, and models have been launched even this year, seven years later.

AMD will have to tell us this year if Zen5 or Zen6 is the last one for AM5.
It crazy that it is 2024 and we are still getting new AM4 CPUs. No one can say AMD does not care about it's socket longevity.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (OC)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB
Memory 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal Gold @ 3733MHz CL14 (14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 2TB w/ Heatsink SSD + Seagate FireCuda 530 SSD 2TB w/ Heatsink
Display(s) LG OLED C9 55" (4K@120Hz 12-bit RGB with G-SYNC)
Case CoolerMaster H500M (Mesh)
Audio Device(s) AKG N90Q with AudioQuest DragonFly Red (USB DAC)
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i (1500W 80+ Titanium)
Mouse Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 Pro
Software Windows 10 64-bit
To be fair 16c/32t is more than enough for Gaming! But for Productivity a 32c/64t CPU would be great! Even though I think it will be ZEN 5c cores and not ZEN 5 cores!

It crazy that it is 2024 and we are still getting new AM4 CPUs. No one can say AMD does not care about it's socket longevity.
ZEN 3 was a great architecture and is still a good architecture today. It's just not the best, but good enough for most people.

SL2

To be fair 16c/32t is more than enough for Gaming! But for Productivity a 32c/64t CPU would be great! Even though I think it will be ZEN 5c cores and not ZEN 5 cores!
Not sure AMD will jump to 32 first, I'd guess 24, and maybe not on Zen 5. Also, I don't think we'll see C cores on high end, just yet.

I have to agree cold hardily, its about time AMD moves to Quad-Channel memory over its Dual-Channel they've been using for ages now.

Exactly,
I think triple channel is the sweet spot but I really strongly doubt it'll ever happen. 58 had that right, it's perfect for enthusiasts. Quad channel is excessive since 4 dimms is the minimum and 8 slots are really tough to fit on the motherboard. Triple channel gives you 3 slots with 1dpc or 6 slots for some nice extra capacity without too much cost or complexity. 32 cores is gonna be really constrained in the kinds of memory sensitive workloads that use that many cores with dual channel, but I'd wager quad channel offers very little return over triple channel.

Given how big and unique of a market the Xx70 platforms are, it would be really cool if AMD found some extra pins and made X770 triple channel and B750 dual channel or something similar. But major doubt.