• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any power efficiency test for RyZen

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
Ryzen is very power efficient up to around 3Ghz (at 30W, the stilt quoted 800 CB points), then efficiency falls off a cliff.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Ryzen is very power efficient up to around 3Ghz (at 30W, the stilt quoted 800 CB points), then efficiency falls off a cliff.

Every electric circuit behaves this way , including CPU's. Power consumption vs clocks and voltage (and temperature as a result) grows in an almost linear fashion up to a point and then it becomes exponential. It's not Ryzen that dose this , it's literally every chip ever.

Last edited:
System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
Every electric circuit behaves this way , including CPU's. Power consumption vs clocks and voltage (and temperature as a result) grows in an almost linear fashion up to a point and then it becomes exponential. It's not Ryzen that dose this , it's literally every chip ever.
Yes, this is very true, but 800CB point at 30W is extremely good result.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
No, I'm saying AMD has an edge because they aren't selling quads/dual cores with an IGP. In that sense Intel shot themselves in the foot through artificial market segmentation, it's also hard to justify a new socket/motherboard every two years. Basically with Ryzen, looking at most of the benches & having some clue about Vega (IGP) performance in APU mode, being priced at the lower end of expectations, I fully expect AMD to smash Intel product offerings across the board in terms of VFM. I'd be surprised if AMD doesn't take away a big chunk of Intel's market share, on desktops & possibly even more with notebooks.
Well, honestly I'd rather see the 1500X compete more on clock speed, and less on price. I agree that Intel ought to be using IGP less, especially on high end chips used for gaming. That said, I just found out some are curing the 7700k heat problem by going into the BIOS and simply setting the voltage for the IGP to 0. Word is it can drop the load temp down from 80c to 60c when benching with tools like Prime95. It's been said that the fuss about the TIM used and need of delidding is blown out of proportion, and that it's really the stock voltage setting on the IGP. I also think Intel's CPUs can easily last 3 or more years, so I'm not so sure the new socket thing is that big an issue. As long as you don't buy one of their older models, it should last you until your next major upgrade.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
IMO lack of sufficient power (wattage) is why all Ryzen chips suck at OCing and boosting. I mean look at even their 1500X quad. Instead of being clocked higher than their 8 cores, it's only 3.5-3.7.

I was very skeptical when they mentioned laptop level wattages. It was a bad move IMO. Intel is going to exploit that with their next line of chips, like they have all bad decisions by AMD.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted AMD to succeed for healthy competition sake if nothing else, but this is really a false victory for them. Soon people will see it for what it is, smoke and mirrors.
The Zen architecture is fine tuned for the enterprise market. Ryzen just so happens to be a good gaming CPU as well - not exceptionally good and not meant for OC enthusiasts (the R7 1700 having the most headroom of the 3 SKUs released so far), but it'll probably age better than Intel's 4 core i7s and still offers a good perf/$ ratio (apart from the 1800X) when solely looking at gaming performance.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
The Zen architecture is fine tuned for the enterprise market. Ryzen just so happens to be a good gaming CPU as well - not exceptionally good and not meant for OC enthusiasts (the R7 1700 having the most headroom of the 3 SKUs released so far), but it'll probably age better than Intel's 4 core i7s and still offers a good perf/$ ratio (apart from the 1800X) when solely looking at gaming performance.

Interesting video!

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Well,

From the AMD Ryzen Reddit AMA:

AMD_james 323 points324 points325 points 6 days ago* (0 children)

1st) Is the core communication between complexes handled via a interconnect between the L3 caches or does it use some other method that is more core-to-core direct?

A1: The infinity fabric handles core to core communication across complexes. When a core requests data that is not inside the CCX L3 a strobe to both the adjoining L3 and main memory is made, and the data returned either via the infinty fabric internal connection or memory controller, based on the location.

2nd) what is considered the smallest unit of Zen; a whole complex with L3, a whole complex without L3, a single core with L1 & L2 and access to L3, or a single core without L3?

A2: As described at Hot Chips, our Zen core complex including L3 is the 'building block'.

So, this has kind of been know since last August. Not sure why anyone is surprised. :p

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...it'll probably age better than Intel's 4 core i7s...
Seriously don't see how you could think that. AMD's MB sockets age well yes, but I really don't think people are going to be keeping a less performing chip as long as they would a better performing Intel.

If by age you mean slowly die, CPUs, unless you're pretty reckless at cooling and OCing them, last pretty long generally.

Software Win10
Seriously don't see how you could think that. AMD's MB sockets age well yes, but I really don't think people are going to be keeping a less performing chip as long as they would a better performing Intel.

If by age you mean slowly die, CPUs, unless you're pretty reckless at cooling and OCing them, last pretty long generally.
Putting aside your snarky irony, die shrinking will hit its physical limits (see: Intel abandoning its Tick-Tock and even Tick-Tick-Tock model), which means that the hunt for ever-increasing frequencies will see less and less pursuers, and in order to boost performance, we'll witness a trend in both hardware and software seeking to optimize parallelization (Ryzen's strong suit).

Last edited:
System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Die shrinking will hit its physical limits (see: Intel abandoning its Tick-Tock and even Tick-Tick-Tock model), which means that the hunt for ever-increasing frequencies will see less and less pursuers, and in order to boost performance, we'll witness a trend in both hardware and software seeking to optimize parallelization (Ryzen's strong suit).
This is what I am hoping that's going to happen, better sooner rather than later. Though hope isn't going to make Ryzen perform more efficiently. AMD partnering with some developers is a good start, but they really have to keep working together in order to make better use of Zen cores.

I'm pretty optimistic so far. I mean AMD has been making decent GCN GPU's that age well. They should be able to do the same for the CPU so long as the software in use isn't holding itself back.

I want to see the day where some of us will be able to say, "I told you so". The opposite is you getting the same reply, but I won't mind.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Putting aside your snarky irony, die shrinking will hit its physical limits (see: Intel abandoning its Tick-Tock and even Tick-Tick-Tock model), which means that the hunt for ever-increasing frequencies will see less and less pursuers, and in order to boost performance, we'll witness a trend in both hardware and software seeking to optimize parallelization (Ryzen's strong suit).

Sure, but time is not on AMD's side with this launch, and gaming still wants the highest clock possible - 7700K proves this even beyond 'optimization'.

Zen2 and Zen3 will have to have a better OC capability, especially in the lower segment/core count SKUs. Ryzen has very solid base performance but it doesn't look to be as 'lean' as the Intel Core arch in terms of frequency scaling.

I do intend to stay on 1080p for a good while still, so Ryzen thus far's a no go for me. Sadly.

Last edited:
Well, if any time, now is the time to grab Ryzen on AM4 and upgrade to new processor when they come out. Usually we buy a platform and stick with it without upgrading. And then there is already new socket and it's no point in buying an upgrade anyway (*cough* Intel sockets that change like socks *cough*). But with AM4 being so fresh, that's very much possible.

Software Win10
Sure, but time is not on AMD's side with this launch, and gaming still wants the highest clock possible - 7700K proves this even beyond 'optimization'.

Zen2 and Zen3 will have to have a better OC capability, especially in the lower segment/core count SKUs. Ryzen has very solid base performance but it doesn't look to be as 'lean' as the Intel Core arch in terms of frequency scaling.
I completely agree that Ryzen is not as good for gaming as SKUs like the 7700K, 6700K and the likes, but that was never AMDs intention, and it would of been nothing but short of a miracle if Ryzen would actually rival these SKUs in gaming while still offering its exceptional multithreaded performance. I merely hinted at the chance of Ryzen aging better...
it'll probably age better than Intel's 4 core i7s
due to reasons I explained in post #34.

1700X is maybe a less performing chip in gaming compared to 7700K for now, but I bet in 2-3 years, when gaming will move to 8 core support you will be, with the 4 cores of the i7, in the same situation as todays cpus which have only 2 cores. From a pure computation point of view, there is no comparison to be made between 1700, be it X or not and 7700K. If you want bragging rights now (10 fps more in a game which runs at 100fps), yes, go ahead and buy the 7700K. We'll decide in a few years who was right and who was wrong.

Ryzen is not much worse now, opposed to how much you will gain over time... Where 7700k will just decline one way or another.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Ryzen is not much worse now, opposed to how much you will gain over time... Where 7700k will just decline one way or another.
Do tell how the 7700K is going to lose performance over time.........

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
IMO lack of sufficient power (wattage) is why all Ryzen chips suck at OCing and boosting. I mean look at even their 1500X quad. Instead of being clocked higher than their 8 cores, it's only 3.5-3.7.

I was very skeptical when they mentioned laptop level wattages. It was a bad move IMO. Intel is going to exploit that with their next line of chips, like they have all bad decisions by AMD.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted AMD to succeed for healthy competition sake if nothing else, but this is really a false victory for them. Soon people will see it for what it is, smoke and mirrors.

The low wattage hasn't got anything to do with it. Tdp is thermal design power its something they choose essentially. So if you tool a 1800x and ran it at 4ghz on all cores ( 300mhz boost over stock 3.7) it will already be beyond its 95w tdp, especially if you had to increase voltages as well.

What is likely going on here is we are seeing the differences between Intel and tmsc 14nm nodes. Intels is technically superior and they've been on 14nm for a while as well so they can pull extra frequency out of their chips.

We will see higher frequencies as time goes by and Amd and tmsc work with each other on the 14nm process for Ryzen.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Demand a 6 core workload from it... that's how. Yeah, it has 8 threads, but half of them are HT. So, good luck with that.
It works just fine with 8 threads... though the HT cores are, of course, not as fast as the logical. That said, it won't lose performance over time. The performance remains the same.

I sure hope you understand what we mean by this. It's not like it'll magically calculate less operations, it's just that it'll be much less effective at it than Ryzen. Because it just has so many more cores...

Software Win10
It works just fine with 8 threads... though the HT cores are, of course, not as fast as the logical. That said, it won't lose performance over time. The performance remains the same.
While the i7 7700K isn't going to lose any performance, the Ryzen 7 SKUs will see bigger gains than the i7 7700K from increased parallelization. Hence the i7 7700K will lose ground to the Ryzen 7 SKUs over time...

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Exactly, that's how Intel beats currently, and it's not like they aren't gearing up for the long haul either. Have you Ryzen wins fanatics not seen that Intel came out with reasonably priced hex cores, while AMD was flopping with their virtual 8 core floating module sleeping bull models? And do you not know that next round will see Coffee Lake hex and 8 cores? You guys act like AMD invented the idea of CPUs with greater than 4 cores.

And as far as wattage goes, no, it's not just about that, but that low wattage is a result of AMD not knowing how to make as robust chips, and it's not just the architecture Intel uses to handle it, it's materials. If you look at the latest articles too, Intel is indicating the 10nm chips will be more used for mobile devices. There's nothing wrong with a little healthy wattage on a desktop chip though. Hell, it's been Intel for some time that has proven their higher end CPUs don't even NEED an OC to keep up with today's GPUs.

AMD on the other hand like to serve the mainstream rather than enthusiast industry, so low wattages for them means they can fit into both OEM and custom builds. I doubt they'll ever really compete with Intel at the high end enthusiast market though. The days where they could afford to compete there are long gone. They have resigned to being mainstream, based first and foremost on console development and sales.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
Do tell how the 7700K is going to lose performance over time.........

Have you seen benchmarks on new AAA titles. 7700K is already maxing out on all 8 threads, while a 6 or 8 core CPU ( Ryzen or Broadwell-E ) still have plenty of room to expand with SLI/Crossfire or Better GPU. Thus a Quad Core CPU will lose its performance over time unless you plan to keep utilized it for low resolution gaming. More and more consumers can affoard 2k and 4k monitors now a day then ever before and that is where 6/8 core CPU shine.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Absolutely fantastic power consumption numbers from Ryzen 7s! And they KILL i7s in effiviency, having double the cores and threads when it's the 1st iteration on a new process while Intel is updating the same arch and its 14nm for 2 years now! Engineering achievenent by all means!