• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone With Crucial MX500 (500GB) (M3CR045 Firmware) Having Very High FTL Program Page Count ??!!

BesTalentScout

i got my MX500 (500GB) (M3CR045 firmware) on 15/3/23 and connected to the PC via USB - it's not detected by 'My Computer' but detected by Crucial Storage Executive + Speccy + CrystalDiskInfo + HD Sentinel........

After 6 hours (unused) the FTL Program page count is 2866 while Host Program page count is just 2 !! ...........2+ hours later, the FTL Program page count went to 3013 while Host Program page count is only 6............!!.............Total Writes is just 20.48KB...........so does this mean the memory cells will wear out much faster than normal ??

could it be that the FTL Program page count is so high due to HD Tune scan and Crucial Storage Executive extended self-test with reads and writes ??

This SSD has M3CR045 firmware (i heard this firmware has serious issues) so should i update to M3CR046 firmware ?

i also have 2 other MX500 (250GB) - both with M3CR043 firmware and working fine, should i update both of them to M3CR046 firmware ?

Attachments

• 0 0 CrystalDiskInfo (2nd 500GB - 17 March 23).png
    0 0 CrystalDiskInfo (2nd 500GB - 17 March 23).png
    71.5 KB · Views: 283

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

BesTalentScout

Lots to unpack here it looks like.

first pages and amount written are not going to equally coincide.

second nothing about that attribute has anything to do with wear or “nand wear out”

third, if it’s not used upgrade the firmware anyway? Why would you not if the disk isn’t in service?

anyway

View attachment 288325

many thanks for your reply...................i'm a novice when it comes to computer stuff............

so it's okay to update to latest firmware ?

also, based on the Write Amplification calculations.............it would be over 500 times for this SSD then ??!!

i got my MX500 (500GB) (M3CR045 firmware) on 15/3/23 and connected to the PC via USB - it's not detected by 'My Computer' but detected by Crucial Storage Executive + Speccy + CrystalDiskInfo + HD Sentinel........

After 6 hours (unused) the FTL Program page count is 2866 while Host Program page count is just 2 !! ...........2+ hours later, the FTL Program page count went to 3013 while Host Program page count is only 6............!!.............Total Writes is just 20.48KB...........so does this mean the memory cells will wear out much faster than normal ??

could it be that the FTL Program page count is so high due to HD Tune scan and Crucial Storage Executive extended self-test with reads and writes ??

This SSD has M3CR045 firmware (i heard this firmware has serious issues) so should i update to M3CR046 firmware ?

i also have 2 other MX500 (250GB) - both with M3CR043 firmware and working fine, should i update both of them to M3CR046 firmware ?

no other experts have any advice for me ?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
First, it looks like you have posted this question on multiple sites besides this one, including Reddit and MajorGeeks. Make sure you revisit every site with updates as it is considered bad forum etiquette to leave threads dangling.

I am not seeing an issue here. The FTL (flash translation layer) performs many functions, including mapping for NTFS (formatting) data, garbage collection, wear-leveling, error correction, bad block management and more. These functions are active whenever power is applied to the SSD. And some of these functions happen again (are refreshed) every time the SSD is powered up again.

This is all part of the process and protocols used to prepare the disk for data storage, and to maintain and optimize the disk for performance and longevity.

I see nothing wrong or even slightly concerning in your screenshot. Neither does CrystalDiskInfo. I say stop fussing over nothing and enjoy your SSD. Just don't forget to close out all your open threads at each site you went to.

BesTalentScout

First, it looks like you have posted this question on multiple sites besides this one, including Reddit and MajorGeeks. Make sure you revisit every site with updates as it is considered bad forum etiquette to leave threads dangling.

I am not seeing an issue here. The FTL (flash translation layer) performs many functions, including mapping for NTFS (formatting) data, garbage collection, wear-leveling, error correction, bad block management and more. These functions are active whenever power is applied to the SSD. And some of these functions happen again (are refreshed) every time the SSD is powered up again.

This is all part of the process and protocols used to prepare the disk for data storage, and to maintain and optimize the disk for performance and longevity.

I see nothing wrong or even slightly concerning in your screenshot. Neither does CrystalDiskInfo. I say stop fussing over nothing and enjoy your SSD. Just don't forget to close out all your open threads at each site you went to.

ok, many thanks.............good to know nothing is wrong...........but how to close the threads ?..............should i delete them ?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You likely cannot delete them. Besides, that does not help anyone else who might wonder the same as you.

I recommend you just reply to each with a statement indicating you have learned that "FTL activity is normal and is used to perform many functions, including SSD garbage collection, wear-leveling and more - functions that optimize performance SSD and enhance longevity."

In fact, you can just copy and paste that, if you want.